Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cruise Control iQ (AJ10) 1.33 NGJ10_ Petrol 98 bhp (MT)

1.33 MT petrol Dual VVT-i

Hi All,

I wish to install Cruise Control on my Toyota iQ (AJ10) 1.33 (NGJ10_) Petrol (98 bhp / 72 kW) from 2010 "NOT PRE_WIRED" and would love to hear from those that have successfully achieved this.

So far i have:

• Bought the OEM Toyota stalk and cable and removed airbag. 

image.thumb.png.6f988aaa0bc5484f5762c8bbf36e7545.pngimage.thumb.png.42335efed4be568d57a672ef6e54a833.pngimage.thumb.png.226640a230b22be54c32a47ce69bae2d.png

• Made a whole on the right side of the steering wheel to allow the stalk to pass through and secure it with the two bolts provided. Checked all 3 required movements from the stalk to insure it does not hit anything.
  • Connected the provided cable from the stalk to the "clock-spring dedicated Cruise control connector."
  • Reinstalled the airbag.

image.thumb.png.42335efed4be568d57a672ef6e54a833.pngimage.thumb.png.25f25afbe891d138e097b0f137aace20.pngimage.thumb.png.166cc215d7ba0d595b25292d62fead82.png

Reconnected the Battery, switched on the car and left it to idle for about 10 minutes to allow the ECU to relearn (coffee break 🙂). I believe my IQ does not have the cruise control light in the dash as when i switch on the cruise control after install nothing lights up, . . . either way i went for a test drive, and nothing happened, so clearly my iQ is not prewired for cruise control from stock for whatever the reason, but does have the last version of the clock-spring allowing me to directly connect the cruise control stalk.

As a result and after a lot of reading, this is what i have come up with as a possible solution: (will update soon, need time to test this theory)

• Next step will be to run a wire from the stalk straight to the ECU > pin40 but need to check it is not occupied on my ECU . . . If not will install in pin40 and also ground with another wire.

image.thumb.png.ea7249289adc1108477a20dd391cf70e.png

• Clutch sensor is already installed and prewired to the fuse box with start/stop version, in any case if i can only cancel cruise control with the stalk button, i will be more than happy ! 

Final step is as above, Reconnect the Battery, switch on the car and leave it to idle for about 10 minutes to allow the ECU to relearn (another coffee break 🙂). Go for a test drive.

Will update once tested, in the meantime would be great to hear your thoughts and ideas to discuss further.

Thanks toyotaownersclub !

image.png

• Like 1

I have done this a few times with the yaris and helped on here with a few others

I don't think the IQ even had the option for CC, the only real way to tell is check the data list in techstream

edit. No IQ had CC checked the EU, JDM, USDM and general markets in the EPC there is nothing in the service manuals either

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

I have done this a few times with the yaris and helped on here with a few others

I don't think the IQ even had the option for CC, the only real way to tell is check the data list in techstream

edit. No IQ had CC checked the EU, JDM, USDM and general markets in the EPC there is nothing in the service manuals either

Thanks Flash22 ! could that be because the connector pin 40 is not there yet so the ECU doesn't tell the terminal to run cruise control?

Yes, it's likely the ecu isn't programmed for CC, as above the only way is to check via techstream if CC shows 1 item in the data list it doesnt have it if it does it lists other items

screenshots from a yaris

561849275_gen3gtsCCdatalist.thumb.jpg.a7ff1e8123c3de05623dd10b503ef4ed.jpg

962132546_Gen3CCblock.thumb.jpg.268e0700883c14c7e2b30fec6fd9ec56.jpg

13 hours ago, Touring_Dave said:

Haven't fitted to my daughter's iQ (but did fit one to my MX-5 NC)...a bit late now but you might have been better served with this:

https://www.canm8.com/cruise-control-systems/toyota-cruise-control/precision-cruise-toyota-iq.html

Thanks touring_Dave ! I Will follow through until the end now with oem stalk idea explained above, but won't be discarding your option as my option from the feedback so far is destined to fail.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, flash22 said:

Yes, it's likely the ecu isn't programmed for CC, as above the only way is to check via techstream if CC shows 1 item in the data list it doesnt have it if it does it lists other items

screenshots from a yaris

561849275_gen3gtsCCdatalist.thumb.jpg.a7ff1e8123c3de05623dd10b503ef4ed.jpg

962132546_Gen3CCblock.thumb.jpg.268e0700883c14c7e2b30fec6fd9ec56.jpg

Thanks again Flash22, how I was thinking these ecu devices learn is;

all those lines you show on your table are not stored on the ecu but on the cruise control stalk. So when you power on the ecu with the stalk connected correctly, it will see it and learn it, so when connected via techstream or any other terminal it now makes it visible .....

No, the stalk is a switch it is a resistive input to control the CC settings in the ecu (see the diagram above, click to enlarge) It does not activate any settings, it doesn't work that way its either the ecu has it programmed or not - no it can not be added or activated

the only learning the ecu does is for engine parameters

2140509668_gen3ccdiagram.thumb.jpg.1928f0a140cac6cf1aeee2fc052b1700.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

finally bought an after market Cruise Control and must admit i had my doubts, but canm8 have responded flawlessly.

installed and cruising like if it had been installed from stock.

downside now is "I have 2 stalks installed: the oem + the universal stalk 🧐" . . . . so might have a go at wiring the oem stalk to the control module and so remove the universal stalk, downside to this is the oem stalk has less features than the universal . . . . 🙂

image.thumb.png.453d95ab020e494f72cdc07a5b0d1894.png

image.thumb.png.59720ce611ac1becd258d0d9d5734c35.png

• Like 2

I am thinking of getting one of those, since about 85% of my travelling are highways miles it would be a welcome addition.

What is keeping me back is the price, they are expensive! 😬

1 hour ago, 1.33 MT petrol Dual VVT-i said:

finally bought an after market Cruise Control and must admit i had my doubts, but canm8 have responded flawlessly.

installed and cruising like if it had been installed from stock.

downside now is "I have 2 stalks installed: the oem + the universal stalk 🧐" . . . . so might have a go at wiring the oem stalk to the control module and so remove the universal stalk, downside to this is the oem stalk has less features than the universal . . . . 🙂

image.thumb.png.453d95ab020e494f72cdc07a5b0d1894.png

image.thumb.png.59720ce611ac1becd258d0d9d5734c35.png

Glad I was able to suggest a solution that worked for you.

In my MX-5 on the universal stalk I set one preset to a GPS adjusted 70mph and the other to a GPS adjusted 50mph, that way I have the two most common limits for my area set up for single button use👍

I then use the on-the-go settings for everything else.

Hope you agree it's been a worthwhile investment 😃

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links