Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car completely dead

snookers required

Hi all... would really appreciate your help.

1st time on here...so 2 days ago my 09 avensis estate just suddenly died whilst out at Screwfix...got a jump as I had leads...thought nothing of it... possibly new Battery needed ..so headed the direction of Halfords...en route the steering locked and everything started shutting down... managed to just roll into a mechanics on the way...was a Sunday mind..glad to see him open...guy gave me a hand with a second hand Battery...thought great...sorted...this died also.... alternator... managed to roll into the driveway at home... unbelievable...jacked it up and set about removing the alternator...today brought it to get refurbished ...2 hours later ...good as new....now the mistake...I forgot to disconnect the Battery before reinstalling the alternator....the wratchet touched the engine and sparked... immediately disconnected battery... and continued...went to start after and nothing...not a light anywhere...no sign of life at all..worse still I couldn't release the parking brake to push the car out to jump it...so removed the battery on its own and attempted to charge it from the son's car....had it on there for about 20 minutes....the battery was very hot...but did nothing....no movement on anything...

What are my issues here?!

What do I turn my attention to?!

Many thanks again

All help greatly appreciated 👍

for a start, i think your Battery is dead check it with voltmeter to have more then 12.1V

the alternator have nothing to do with that even without alternator, it need to start.

next i would check the spark plugs condition (when was the last time you change them ?) and the coil's (are they the original ones, if yes how many mills you have on the car ?)

after that let us know.

• Like 1

With that short, if you are lucky, it may have blown some fuses. 

You said the Battery was very hot  - did nothing.  Batteries can get hot during charging - what sort of charger did you use? 

It did nothing, do you mean after you put it back? 

As Avensis says, check the voltage.  If OK it points to something fried, fuses hopefully. 

• Like 2

So I charged it straight off of jump leads from the son's car...had no other alternative

Was certain that it had acquired enough charge to at least free the parking brake....

But nothing....not a light on the dash at all...tested the Battery and it was sitting at 8 volts...which fuses are likely to have been blown then do you think?

Also no I haven't looked at spark plugs either ....was hoping it was a straightforward diode problem with the alternator!🙄

8v = Battery dead. Battery need to be replace with new fresh one (not used).

Jump from other car wont work all the time, need very good wires and still wont 100% work, also i think you have blown master fuse, open the hood box and check them all.

• Like 2

I did have a good look at the fuses...there was nothing obvious as such... we'll try the new Battery...keep ya posted...thanks again for helping out 

• Like 1

by chance did ou blow the main fuze the long clear  top one on the fuze box 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links