Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Good recent Tyre review 205/55/16

Mojo1010

https://youtu.be/3ZsWD4N0yds

My car got the falkens on the front and Goodyear EGP1 on the back. The falkens did well for a mid range tyre. Goodyear EGP2 which some members have very good experience with performed very well. Although it cost more than the falkens it had 0.7mm more depth. 

Have every intention to change to this size and Goodyear EGP2 when new Yaris design requires tyre changing. 

• Like 1

At the moment my choice generally falls to whatever the cheapest of the premium brands is! :laugh: 

It's scary how much they've gone up - I got my Hankooks for £50-ish quid IIRC, but now I'd be lucky to get them for £70!

One major disadvantage of the 15's is a lot of the newer tyres are not available for it - I think in that review you posted, at least half of them are not available...

• Like 2

Indeed prices had shot up along with inflation, as expected. 185mm on 15" cost more than the 205/55/16. £315 for a set compare to £305, it was under £280 about a month or so ago on the 16" Goodyear EGP2. 

Find it difficult to live with the 185mm on the MK3 for long distance travel. It came with 175mm which was horrid, had to get rid of it a year early to put 185mm on. Good thing Toyota realised that and made it wider from 195mm for the MK4. It takes about 3 years a set for my coverage so about £102 a year net at current rate. 

The Pirelli p7 is cheaper for premium, that scored well in the test. Have read on another forum Halfords can priced match protyre or other suppliers when asked. So if no protyre nearby then it's useful.                 Screenshot_2023-04-02-11-32-10-616_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.9b70aaac3d03de6b469e120992d95f59.jpg

• Like 1

Budget tyres review. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RIP Mr Foamy... 

• Like 2

Yes, say no to budget tyres.

• Like 2

Or say "Why isn't the car turning ARGH A TREE, BRAMBLE AND NETTLE-FILLED DITCH AIIEEE!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If running on a tight budget then car is pobably getting on in years.

Some choose used tyres/part worn over budget tyres.

IMHO there are two things you should not skimp on with cars -  Brakes and Tyres.

Use cheap air filters, oil, parts - That'll just shorten the life of the car - But brakes and tyres are the primary things that will help you avoid a collision and the things you rely on most in an emergency situation!

• Like 2

When I was young, skint and had little knowledge of cars, went for the budget tyres. Though did not do much distance driving for it to have ill effect, fortunate. 

• Like 2

You can get away with it in more sedate urban environments on sunny days unless you're in an area that you need to stop suddenly frequently (e.g. the wonderful mismanaged road network that is London, with all its suicidal pedestrians, cyclists, scooters etc., and homicidal vans, lorries, SUVs etc.).

Where you really don't want to do that is when it's chucking down with rain on the motorway or a fast A-road or worse, fast country roads!! :eek: 

I have seen a car on the A406 suddenly loose the back end out of nowhere as it was driving through heavy rain. The back just suddenly slipped out and it spun round and crashed back first into the wall around a cemetery!

• Like 2

Scary. 

Mid range is okay if on a budget. Though I can afford premium for the Yaris MK4 when doing a new profile of 205/55/16. Done a check on Halfords they have a competitive price with 10% off promo and also can get mobile fitting for free (all day slot) or pay from £2.50 for 4hr slots, as well 5.1 % going through topcashback.

Screenshot_2023-04-06-08-26-21-081_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links