Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speedo km/h to mph - all options not showing

ManxEd

Hi my first post so please be kind 🙏

I have just bought a 2020 Corolla Design 1.8 hybrid that's come from Switzerland and the speedo is in kmh. I've been in to try to change to mph and after Google searches, I simply don't have all the option to change the units; all I have in that menu is to change the km/l or l/100km. What do you think I can do?

16804467900163839713967121330641.thumb.jpg.c24557e1db96a437e6803d2ac18ba29c.jpg

Oh, that's awkward... you need the mpg one to get miles. I wonder if it's possible to change the firmware to a UK one...?

I don't understand why they would bother to omit it - It's all software so makes no difference in cost. If anything, would have been cheaper to just have the one firmware image to maintain surely!

All the videos and how tos suggest 

Sorry posted too soon. 

I was going to say that they suggested it is possible, but I'm thinking it might need to be done by the Toyota garage. 

Looking at my manual the default is L/100km with km/l as a user option.  MPG is the alternative to km/l.  It says that this is country specific so it is conceivable that it is not an option. 😞

Have you tried changing it under the settings menu in the speedo display? I can change to km/h and km/L from there

I believe that Toyotas bound for the EU markets have only KMH installed.
Those for the UK market always seem to have the option of KMH and MPH.
Why this is, I have no idea.
And how to add MPH to an EU Toyota? Again, no idea.

I'm in Ireland, part of the EU, and my Corolla hybrid saloon and my partners Yaris Cross is KMH only.

Yeah, that's usually the case. It vaguely makes sense on older analogue systems, but on newer cars with digital displays it makes no sense when the whole thing is digital and computer controlled anyway!

I do wonder if it's something that can be enabled via Techstream or if it actually needs a UK-specific firmware.

EU cars are in Km and the cluster is programmed to Km, some markets do have Km and Miles usually the NA market

You will need a COC to register the car in the uk and must do it with in 6 months if you have officially imported it you need it IVA'ed, registered, taxed and insured before driving it in the uk

1 hour ago, Chippy01 said:

I'm in Ireland, part of the EU, and my Corolla hybrid saloon ........ is KMH only.

I am the same and yet on the SatNav, I have it set up to show 'Miles' to my desctination, not Km! 🤔

I can't believe you can't get mph, what happens if somebody from Switzerland wanted to come to the UK in their car for a holiday? How would they know if they were keeping to the speed limit? 

Are UK maps installed? That might be necessary. In my 2019 Corolla the manual Pgs 129 & 611 show that changing the units is a switch option. 

• Like 2

I literally took delivery at the weekend so I will check 

1 hour ago, Jiff said:

I can't believe you can't get mph, what happens if somebody from Switzerland wanted to come to the UK in their car for a holiday? How would they know if they were keeping to the speed limit? 

Are UK maps installed? That might be necessary. In my 2019 Corolla the manual Pgs 129 & 611 show that changing the units is a switch option. 

I literally took delivery at the weekend so I will check out the maps. The sat nav seems to work and recognise my area; I don't know if this is what you mean?

• Like 1

On a slightly different matter, although related, I've connected my phone by bluetooth and looking online, it seems to suggest I should then be able to use the phone's internet connection the car to the internet. I can't get this working either by doing all the things online videos suggest.

I only ask because I'm wondering if there's an update I need to download to allow the km/h to mp/h?

Or maybe updates don't work that way(this is my first Toyota).

IIRC the Corolla has the ability to connect to WiFi.  If in range of your home WiFi then you should be able to connect for software updates etc.  For map updates I think you will have to pay for a subscription service.  I seem to remember it was £119/3 yrs.

I don't think Toyota does OTA updates for the car firmwares, just for maps and maybe the head unit software.

• Like 1

ManxEd

Yes that was what I meant about maps though I assume the language is also set to English (Page 129 in my manual)? It's in the Setup / General section on the first page, then one page further down it the Units where I can set miles (MPG). However I've just noticed on page 611 of the main manual that "miles (MPG") has "*4". *4 on page 612 is "if equipped" so for whatever reason it seems that miles is not necessarily standard. 😱 I can't see why it wouldn't be standard on a European model though for the reason I originally gave.

You could also try to see what the Clock / Time zone location is set, mine is Greenwich.

You may have to go to a dealer to find out 😫

I gave up trying to connect my car to the internet, it should have been able to connect to my home network as my phone does by the car but it never managed it with passwords etc being added. Whilst doing the connection mine showed it was connected then gave an error message so I turned it off.

Strangely after the last service it started doing the same thing, so I think some update happened during the service which switched the option back on. Today I finally got round to turning it off again. It did report that the new map update was available for download, but I always do that on the PC & use a memory stick as I've read that OTA updates only include the UK (not Europe), due to the download size or similar. Check for how to do that on the forum, it's straightforward but not intuitive, you have to do things in the correct way.

• Like 1

A strange quirk I've discovered in driving the car, it displays a small icon of the speed of the road you are driving on and it goes red if you exceed the limit, but this is in mph not kmh 🤷

Yeah a lot of us have complained about that with the sign 'recognition' (And that's when it even recognizes the sign correctly!). It keeps getting confused whether the sign is in mph or kph. Why they couldn't just have that as a user selectable option I don't know!

4 hours ago, ManxEd said:

A strange quirk I've discovered in driving the car, it displays a small icon of the speed of the road you are driving on and it goes red if you exceed the limit, but this is in mph not kmh 🤷

What I was trying to highlight was, the car recognises MPH signs and when I exceed the MPH limit, so it's strange that the speedo cannot be swapped to MPH 

So what you're saying is if the speed limit is 50 mph your speedo is registering 80 kph & if you go slightly faster then the little speed limit recognition symbol turns red.

I'm guessing the car knows you are in the UK so does the speed conversion, if so it's even more stupid that you can't display the correct speedo as the conversion factor is built in somewhere. 

I still can't believe you can't change the speedo as the speed limit recognition is very bad, so if you were a foreigner in the UK relying on that to stop breaking the law about 20% (my experience) of the time you'd be wrong.

I'd go to a dealer or try contacting the one in Switzerland who originally sold the car, I'm sure they'd know if it can be done. It may even work if you get an update to the infotainment / map system here in the UK? A new map update is out now.

• Like 1

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. 

I'm just in talks with the local Toyota dealership and among other things, I'll try to get a solution to the conversation. 

The warning of exceeding the limit is a good interim measure for now though.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Thanks for everyone's help 😊

• 1 month later...

Only noticed today that just below the empty end of the fuel guage there is a kilometers per hour equivalent speedo reading of the main mph speedometer. Strange that I hadn't noticed it before.

So after speaking to the only Toyota dealer and servicer on the island, they say it's a hardware issue and it would need a speedo swap.

I find this hard to believe though as the speedo is digital 😩

• 8 months later...

Does it make sense to plan for uk import of eu cars ? From ireland by swapping speed odometer is it economical as setting the mileage would be additional efforts needed if at all swapped. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links