Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1999 Solara Keyless Remote

cgriffin

I am purchasing a 1999 Solara SLE and the dealer does not have any of the keyless remotes. He wants to charge me $300 for two of them. I can find the remotes on eBay for about $20 each but need directions on how to program them. I have contacted a couple of the local Toyota dealers, but they will only charge me to them program the remotes. Does anyone have the procedure? Also, does anyone know if newer remotes work with older models or do you have to use the ones specifically for your vintage vehicle? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

If the keyless system is anything like the late-models, you're at the mercy of the dealer to obtain the working remotes. Buying KESs or components on eBay come with caveats, especialy since no documentation or instructions as far as programming are included with the ones you've found. This may sound like a tactic the dealer is using to maintain job security for their service department techs, but instead it's a liability issue to prevent litigation stemming from faulty components sold by gray market peddlers or aftermarket hacks.

My RAV4 didn't come factory-equipped with a KES, and the service department at the dealer had only one tech in their staff that could install and program it. I was informed the new generation KES had to be specially coded to my vehicle's VIN and came with the assurance that if a would-be theif was successful in breaking into and stealing the car, Toyota would pay my insurance deductible.

My recommendation - pay the $300 for the KES remotes so you'll have the assurance that they'll work, and don't trust any security-related product hawked on eBay. It could mean the difference between being satisfied and getting burned, even if it's only $20.

• 3 months later...

You're not at the mercy of the dealers to obtain the remotes.

I just got one off e-bay for my 1999 Solara. It works AWESOME.

$16.99 with shipping. Has the Toyoata emblem and everything.

I fail to understand why people insist on making it easy for dealers to pilfer their money when it comes to something simple like this. I do however understand that when you haven't done something you may not have any idea how to do it, neither did I. I'm guessing that's why this forum was started. *Sigh* It kind of reminds me of the Roman Catholic church in midevil times (-You don't know, and can't know, what we do, therefore you're going to have to pay us...alot... to get what you're looking for.)

I guess I'll play the reformationist. ...Well, I'm sure you've heard enough useless banter, let's get on with what you (or anyone else who might need to know) are really looking for.

So here's my firsthand experience and advice...

Call a dealer with your VIN# handy so they can check if your vehicle came installed with a keyless entry system. Hint: They'll say "Yes your car is compatible with a keless entry system." Not "Yes, you already have one installed, all we need to do is get a remote and spend literaly 5 minutes (or less) programming it. Well earned $300 for me or the dealer (sucker)"

Sidenote: They may actually mean that your car is compatible, but if it has power locks it's compatible (could be wrong, but probably not).

If you give them the make and model of the car, they can tell you it's compatable. If they check the VIN# they're checking to see if it's already installed. If it's a Solara SLE odds are that you do have one already installed (they're nice, luxurious in fact :) ).

Go to E-Bay.

Buy a Toyata Solara Remote (obviously, make sure it'll work with your car).

Follow these instructions when you get it.

2000 - 2002 Camry (works for 1999 Solara too, they're close cousins)

1. Start with the following conditions:

a. Key Is out of the ignition.

b. Driver door is open (all other doors are closed).

c. Driver door is unlocked (other door locks don't matter).

2. Insert the key into the ignition (don't turn it) and pull it out.

3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:

a. Using the power lock/unlock switch on the driver's door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles starting with lock. A

lock/unlock cycle consists of pressing the power lock switch, followed by pressing the power unlock switch on the driver's door panel. Use an even pace and try to go relatively fast.

b. Close, then open the drivers door.

4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:

a. Using the power lock/unlock switch on the driver's door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles starting with lock (just as

you did previously).

b. Turn the ignition to ON (as far as you can go without cranking your engine), then back to OFF.

c. Turn the ignition to ON (as far as you can go without cranking your engine), then back to OFF.

d. Remove the key from the Ignition.

5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should cycle (lock then unlock) automatically Indicating successful entry into

programming mode. Return to Step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:

a. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for 1 second.

b. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, hit the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should cycle (lock then unlock) once indicating successful programming. If the

door locks don't cycle, or cycle twice, repeat steps 6a and 6b - this remote has not been accepted.

c. Repeat steps 6a and 6b for each transmitter that will operate the vehicle, including any old transmitters.

7. Close driver door.

(It worked on my seccond attempt. It would have worked the first time but I didn't... ahem... close the car door at the end of my first try. I guess you could say it worked the first time I actually followed all the instructions)

Save yourself $283.01

Even if you have to buy two remotes you're still saving $266.02.

If the first one doesn't work you might try changing the Battery (they last almost forever, but you never know).

-end of keyless remote advice-

...In conclusion,

Some of the rules of life I live by.

Never pay full price.

Always get a second (sometimes third or fifth) opinion (or untill your hear what you know's possible)

If naysayers always had their way there's be no way for you to read this because there'd be no internet.

FIGHT THE MAN!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

DOWN WITH FRAN....

heh, sorry about that, got carried away.

Later

• 1 month later...

Great post. I just bought my 2003 Matrix and need another remote. Do you know where I could find the programming instructions for an aftermarket remote? Thanks.

:help:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links