Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

potential intermittent issue

Mr Lew

Hi

I hope everyone is well. I have recently bought my first 'new car' I have driven all sorts over the years but since I now have two children I thought I'd get a family car.

I've owned it for approx 3 weeks and everything has been well.. until the last few days. I've noticed the Battery motor isn't kicking in at low speeds despite being charged and sporadically kicking in at higher speeds then working at lower.

I've also pressed EV mode at low speeds to be told 'hybrid mode unavailable', on the eco indicator I've noticed when driving non aggressively its still low down. 

This wasn't an issue before. Apologies for poorly wording this but hoping a Veteran out here can put my mind at ease.

Kind regards 

Wouldn’t worry absolutely normal 

• Like 2

Hi and welcome. 

This is normal behaviour. There are numerous factors that dictate how much in ev mode the car will stay, how often will switch to ev and at what speeds. A simple temperature change on your climate control can make a huge difference, if your car hvac is set at 20 or 22C° , the later the engine will remain on longer and will kick in quicker after you start the car.
Hybrid Battery state of charge also matters as well as Battery temperature, when too cold or too hot the car will use the engine more than usual to unload the Battery until battery warms up or cools down. Car load, acceleration request, road conditions like heavy winds, rain, cold temperatures, all that affects the hybrid system work.
Just enjoy your new car and don’t worry about it. 👍

• Like 2

Absolutely normal, just let the car do what it’s been programmed to do and enjoy 👏👏

• Like 2

Or maybe GPF.  It's a well known issue that Toyota  considers as normal behaviour.

16 hours ago, Chriss27 said:

Wouldn’t worry absolutely normal 

Thank you ! As someone who has never driven a hybrid before let alone driven a brand new car I had concerns, I appreciate the reply.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi and welcome. 

This is normal behaviour. There are numerous factors that dictate how much in ev mode the car will stay, how often will switch to ev and at what speeds. A simple temperature change on your climate control can make a huge difference, if your car hvac is set at 20 or 22C° , the later the engine will remain on longer and will kick in quicker after you start the car.
Hybrid battery state of charge also matters as well as battery temperature, when too cold or too hot the car will use the engine more than usual to unload the battery until battery warms up or cools down. Car load, acceleration request, road conditions like heavy winds, rain, cold temperatures, all that affects the hybrid system work.
Just enjoy your new car and don’t worry about it. 👍

Thank you ! As someone who has never driven a hybrid before let alone driven a brand new car I had concerns, I appreciate the reply and the additional information I'll bear in mind.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Absolutely normal, just let the car do what it’s been programmed to do and enjoy 👏👏

Thank you ! As someone who has never driven a hybrid before let alone driven a brand new car I had concerns, I appreciate the reply.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links