Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Check Parking Brake System fault.. Is my DPF blocked?

Big_Al_100

Hi Everyone,

I drive a 2014 Toyota Avensis 2.0 D-4D, Diesel and for the last 6 months been driving with the "Check Parking Brake System" message, Master Warning Light, Slip Indicator, Engine Malfunction, Brake system warning light and what I believe is Electronic Brake light all on. (see photo.) The mechanic I use and the Diagnostic electrician I went to cannot agree on how to fix fault but points to DPF? (See attached diagnostic codes/faults.)

What also happens is after a short time of driving (but sometimes doesn't.)  Is the green gear change indicator will be on and without changing gear/speed it will go out and the car will give a little judder as if it has lost power for a split second and then the gear changing indicator will not work until my next journey. I also tested this theory straight after the faults had been reset and intentionally kept the gear change light on and at exactly the same time as all the faults appeared on my dash the gear change light went out and stopped working.

I have read elsewhere on this forum about these sets of fault lights being on and one was to do with cleaning the DPF, solving the issue.

However, the mechanic did clean the DPF with burning out the soot treatment (sorry not 100% sure exactly what this involved.) and does not think the DPF is blocked as car runs ok.

So was wondering: 

1.  With the faults I have and diagnostic codes shown does anyone know what I should try next to fix fault?

2. Would I have any other issues with car that would prove if the DPF was blocked?

3. Would an emissions test prove if it was blocked?

I would appreciate any suggestions/advice given and if anybody would like any more info that I have maybe missed I will gladly give as not 100% sure how the above will affect my MOT.

Thanks.

image.thumb.jpeg.478566b83a0d8ca30ab717f00d973270.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2de3430d160c689307f3b85281685110.jpeg

Hi,

1) I'm no expert, but I suspect that a fault with the pressure sensor itself or the wiring connected to it may lead to this fault rather than just the DPF being blocked necessarily. You really need to get hold of a copy of Techstream (the Toyota dealer software) or find someone who has one as it would allow you to check the actual live data rather than just relying on fault codes.

2) It really depends how badly blocked the DPF was. If really badly blocked then I would expect a significant loss of power, otherwise probably not.

3) The only emissions test used on diesels is a smoke test, and anything fitted with a DPF will usually barely register a reading, whether the DPF is full or not. I doubt it would prove anything one way or the other,

On a car of this age just the engine management light being on will be an MOT failure unfortunately, regardless of the underlying cause.

What mileage has the car covered? These later Toyota 2.0 D-4D engines are not generally known for DPF trouble in my experience.

• Like 1

Thanks Yossarian,

Have 91000 miles on the clock

I got the pressure sensor replaced but unfortunately this did not solve problem.

Was also told that it could have been the hoses having leaks or corrosion at the metal pipe section where they joined onto but this checks out ok.

I have also tried driving the car at high revs for 60 miles with once, Forte DPF Cleaner and Regenerator and once with Liqui Moly Diesel Engine Purge but again without any success as using an additive seem to have helped the closest similar post that I could find. See below.

Edited by Big_Al_100
Forgot to put millage

I've posted on here previously about our 2012 Avensis 2.0 D-4D which I only recently part exchanged for a Corolla. Ours was at 94k when we sold it, did mainly short journeys, and when I checked the DPF not long ago in Techstream it was showing at only around a third full at ten years old, so I wouldn't particularly have expected yours to have a blocked DPF at 91k. Having said that yours may have had some other fault which caused the DPF to fill up quicker. It may be worth trying one of the companies which will remove and clean a DPF, although I have heard varying results about those.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 4:54 PM, yossarian247 said:

I've posted on here previously about our 2012 Avensis 2.0 D-4D which I only recently part exchanged for a Corolla. Ours was at 94k when we sold it, did mainly short journeys, and when I checked the DPF not long ago in Techstream it was showing at only around a third full at ten years old, so I wouldn't particularly have expected yours to have a blocked DPF at 91k. Having said that yours may have had some other fault which caused the DPF to fill up quicker. It may be worth trying one of the companies which will remove and clean a DPF, although I have heard varying results about those.

Yep I agree with you the only way is to take out the dpf and put it in one of those machines to clean the dpf plus you should try this out as I am going to do it to my car shortly keep it in good 

https://youtu.be/OHViOO2GCso

Thanks, Good video.

Its just very frustrating that there doesn't seem an easy way to prove to confirm if the DPF is the problem. The mechanic I use isn't convinced the DPF is blocked (hence why I am here and looking for possible alternatives).

If it was not for the fault lights I would be driving about without a care. That many sensors on cars these days which can go faulty that give false readings and show similar faults.

Hopefully my mechanic can get or knows someone who has Techstream and I can stay away from a Toyota dealer (should be most trustworthy but would probably want to replace my EPB.) 

I will also let him know about the Youtube link given by 2009joe.

if it was mine i would first clean all the brake parts rear+front with brake cleaner spray, buy 2 of them use one for the front brake parts and 1 to the rear brake parts, spray from outside a lot on the calipers + brake parts, also i would check the braking fluid and take out what in the plastic tank under the hood with nizell and put new fresh dot4.(im doing that on regular basic maintanance)take off the Battery minus wait 5 min and put it back, it's like a reset to the all systems, then let us know.

enjoy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I have just had this same problem with my 2010 Avensis 2.0 d4d which atm fingers crossed  (6 days in), I have solved this problem ?.

My car is on 226002 and now is running brilliantly, my check parking brake message came on and my epb completely stopped working, I bought techstream and cleared all codes and tried everything to stop any repeat of the fault but no avail, I happened to be in the local petrol station and noticed they sold REDEX DPF FUEL ADDITIVE and decided to purchase it and added to the tank, not thinking to much about my purchase, but  just under 2 days after, all of a sudden, hay presto my codes have gone including my airbag light, I have bought and used another 2 bottles of it and redex fuel cleaner and my car has been so great to drive like it is now, faster throttle response, more MPG was average 28 to a better 35 roughly, so I'm definitely convinced my DPF & EGR we re clogged but now must be starting to declog since using redex. I will continue to add roughly another 2 or 3 bottles of dpf to my tank within the next fuel stop and Hope to see more improvements with the car. 

Hope this helps everyone.

On 5/19/2023 at 1:33 AM, Klunkles said:

Hi all

I have just had this same problem with my 2010 Avensis 2.0 d4d which atm fingers crossed  (6 days in), I have solved this problem ?.

My car is on 226002 and now is running brilliantly, my check parking brake message came on and my epb completely stopped working, I bought techstream and cleared all codes and tried everything to stop any repeat of the fault but no avail, I happened to be in the local petrol station and noticed they sold REDEX DPF FUEL ADDITIVE and decided to purchase it and added to the tank, not thinking to much about my purchase, but  just under 2 days after, all of a sudden, hay presto my codes have gone including my airbag light, I have bought and used another 2 bottles of it and redex fuel cleaner and my car has been so great to drive like it is now, faster throttle response, more MPG was average 28 to a better 35 roughly, so I'm definitely convinced my DPF & EGR we re clogged but now must be starting to declog since using redex. I will continue to add roughly another 2 or 3 bottles of dpf to my tank within the next fuel stop and Hope to see more improvements with the car. 

Hope this helps everyone.

I don't know but was chatting with a guy in one of those car parts stores about how often TO use that redex stuff he told me put a bottle in a half a tank of fuel every 6 months .not sure what it dose 

• 4 months later...

Has been a while but I had not forgotten to keep anyone interested in my above fault which may help anyone in the same situation, its just been a long ongoing fault, but now I think is the time that I am able to update.

To quickly recap, the fault lights had come on/ off a couple of times over the first month of fault appearing but they stayed on for 5320 miles of driving (this did include all the previous cleaners/driving at high revs/sensor replacements as mentioned in my previous post.)

However, before going on a long drive (holiday) I put the REDEX DPF cleaner in the fuel tank and after the 150 mile journey the lights had went out. Success I thought.

But unfortunately after 269 miles driven, fault lights back on.

Tried more REDEX DPF cleaner but fault lights still on after 231 miles (got fault codes/lights reset to get through MOT.) 

Previously after any time I had fault codes/lights reset they would be back on within 2 miles of driving but they stayed off for 76 miles until coming back on.

More REDEX DPF and for good measure the Diesel Treatment as well. Faults light out after 402 miles of driving.

Fault lights back on after 246 miles of driving. 

Fault lights off after 436 miles of driving.

I was then recommended by someone who works on Diesel engines that they use Sea Foam motor treatment for Gas and Diesel motors. Checked it out and looked like good stuff and put in fuel tank.

I have now driven 2300 miles and still no fault lights so fingers crossed.

The moral of the story is, if you have the same fault lights/codes I had (and Sean B's and Klunkles) then I recommend not to wait thousands of miles and trying different things to fix, just at least try and put a Diesel Cleaner in the fuel tank and take a long drive and hopefully you could be lucky and it would fix your fault.

Whether fuel additives work is a very a debatable topic but with my experience I will certainly be going along with the guy in the parts store 2009joe was talking about will be putting REDEX cleaner and Sea Foam in my car on a regular basis.

• Like 1

hi, for me, i would start with the normal maintenance things and keep on foreword.

oil+flashing, oil filter,air filter, spark plugs,sensor cleaning, fuel cup cleaning, radiator cup cleaning, Battery test/replace/reset, and from here move to the coils and\or other things.

if you don't touch your car by yourself just take it to the toyota dealer for normal maintenance (oil+filter), and on the way tell him it's suddenly turns on can you check it ...

be smart, don't go just for this issue because it will cost a lot.

if it was a fuel avensis i would guess its the catalytic converter/exhaust that shows all those lights and errors.

My car is fully serviced and yes an extremely maintained car will keep away a lot of possible faults.

However, I can only post about my problems/faults, experiences and how my problem was resolved. 

I did not want to be one of these people who come onto a forum and ask for help and get the fault fixed. Then decide not to let anyone know how it was fixed.

Thought it a good idea to let people know what fixed mu fault, as it may, but not guaranteed, to help them out.

Personally think if anybody reading a post that helped them then they should let every one know whose solution worked.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links