Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery

ProfGlenn

Hi - got a shock tonight in my 1.8L 2010 Auris Hybrid when it wouldn't start and the dash was flashing and clicking. Called RAC and was indeed a dead 12v Battery.  Took it for a 20 min run.  I changed this Battery in November in 2019.  Are they guaranteed for 4 years?  And do you know how much it would be for a new one and if Toyota Servicing is open on bank holiday?

Thanks/best

Glenn

Expect a get out clause that its voltage was allowed to drop below 12 volts at some point in its life.

The Auris hybrid 12v Battery price was £155, quoted from my local dealership a month ago.

On 4/30/2023 at 10:28 PM, ProfGlenn said:

Hi - got a shock tonight in my 1.8L 2010 Auris Hybrid when it wouldn't start and the dash was flashing and clicking. Called RAC and was indeed a dead 12v battery.  Took it for a 20 min run.  I changed this battery in November in 2019.  Are they guaranteed for 4 years?  And do you know how much it would be for a new one and if Toyota Servicing is open on bank holiday?

Thanks/best

Glenn

I think it's 3 years manufacturer(Toyota) warranty, terms & conditions apply 🥵

Thank you for your replies.

8 hours ago, Davidhee58 said:

The Auris hybrid 12v battery price was £155, quoted from my local dealership a month ago.

Would this be fitted into the car price or just for the Battery itself collected from the parts department? 

15 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Would this be fitted into the car price or just for the battery itself collected from the parts department? 

The price is just for the Battery itself, I also asked the parts department of JEMCA Totoya, their price is £165.   

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Davidhee58 said:

The price is just for the battery itself, I also asked the parts department of JEMCA Totoya, their price is £165.   

Thanks. 
I thought it is all included. At least my one is in the boot. 👍

• Like 1

I've accepted that the 12v is the Achilles heel of these cars,just consider the car is'nt dead,the drive Battery will get you going,you just need a jumpstarter Battery pack to keep in the car. In 5 mins,connect under bonnet terminal in fuse box,job done. Same Battery been flat 6 times in 3 yrs,not changing it, the car runs fine ,till next time. It just does'nt do enough miles.

• Like 3

The better solution imo for people who does not use the car regularly or long enough each time is to invest in a smart charger and recharge the Battery once every 5-6 weeks for example. The jump start pack is good as an emergency back up but if you charge from time to time you most likely never gonna need a jump start. We had two Auris hybrids and one was with very little use, also survived the lockdowns and we never had any issues with 12v Battery to date. Soon very likely I will be doing exactly that as I might need to stop driving for some time and I will charge it every few weeks. 🔌🔋

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Do you know some Hyundai I20 cars use a 20Ah battery?.

Can be 👍 

The only Hyundai I have access to is ioniq ev and here what 12v Battery has . This car also has a function to recharge the small 🔋 when the car is not in use. The same functionality has also a Nissan leaf . When they do that there are 3 blue lights on dashboard and one will be flashing. My Neighbor has a leaf and with solar charger when not in use, sometimes for months and the weather is cloudy the solar charger it’s not enough and the car takes over and recharge the 12v Battery. But these cars has large traction batteries., Toyota hybrids doesn’t. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3b83335e32ebedf3078f23d897f15a36.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Do you know some Hyundai I20 cars use a 20Ah battery?.

This car is petrol only.

• Like 1

I installed a deep cycle AGM 55Ah that cost me ~£100 instead of original (poor) 35Ah one. A bit tight fit but totally worthy. This type of the Battery does not degrade when discharged. Normally it is used in mobility scooters or UPS systems that work for years!

No problems with Battery since then. I can use dascam parking recording for days.

I did not drive the car for 3 months and the Battery was still fine.

• Like 5

This is the one I fitted.

2023-05-11_19:39:34.png

• Thanks 2

Deep-cycle batteries are exactly what Toyota should be using, but from what I've seen on here they still seem to be using regular car batteries for some reason. Maybe deep-cycle batteries aren't certified for automotive use or something??

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Deep-cycle batteries are exactly what Toyota should be using, but from what I've seen on here they still seem to be using regular car batteries for some reason. Maybe deep-cycle batteries aren't certified for automotive use or something??

Original Yuasa is just a cheap, poor Battery that toyota sells/rebrand at a double or triple the price. Ripping us off was the reason I started to research before every purchase and choose better and most of the time cheaper alternative.

2023-05-11_19:53:52.png

18 hours ago, Fostel said:

This is the one I fitted.

2023-05-11_19:39:34.png

Hi Fostel, can I ask you where you got the Battery from?

The auris 2 has automatic dom light shut off if we leave the car for more than 20 mins or leave the door opened. So, it never have issues with drained Battery. Only if we forgot to turn the park light off or headlight off, it will drain quickly.  I have smart keys and it does not effect the 3V coin Battery nor the 12V Battery. 3 years period for the remote and still have original 12V battery after 7y.  

It may drop below 12V if we do not drive at all for more than 2 months. Healthy battery should be more than 12.2V opened voltage all the time. So, always remove the D/C CUT fuse on the engine fuse box if we leave the car for more than 1 month. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 2:19 PM, Davidhee58 said:

Hi Fostel, can I ask you where you got the battery from?

https://www.battery-kutter.de/main/en

Shipped from Germany in 2021. Tried a few times in the UK but they always ship crap, old batteries. Regarding AGM technology, fresher is better. Less than 6 months from production date. Perfect. Less than 12 months could be used too. Older than 12 months I return.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Fostel said:

https://www.battery-kutter.de/main/en

Shipped from Germany in 2021. Tried a few times in the UK but they always ship crap, old batteries. Regarding AGM technology, fresher is better. Less than 6 months from production date. Perfect. Less than 12 months could be used too. Older than 12 months I return.

Thank you very much for your information, I had a quick look at the 12c Battery area on my car, the space there is quite limited, less than 2 cm space available, the SSB Battery (length) is 3+ cm bigger than the Toyoya Battery (22.9cm vs 19.7cm), how did you manage to fit the SSB battery in? it seems to me impossible.

On 5/25/2023 at 9:29 AM, Davidhee58 said:

Thank you very much for your information, I had a quick look at the 12c battery area on my car, the space there is quite limited, less than 2 cm space available, the SSB battery (length) is 3+ cm bigger than the Toyoya battery (22.9cm vs 19.7cm), how did you manage to fit the SSB battery in? it seems to me impossible.

Of course SSB is bigger as it is a 55Ah vs 35Ah originally installed. It is not a drop in replacement. The fit is tight and the original mount is smaller. You can modify it (that's what I've done), made a custom one or purchase a bigger holder/rack. You also need to modify the terminal posts. All easily doable with some skill at hand.

If I ever find pictures I may post it here.

EDIT:

You can also order the smaller one if you are not fancy to modify it. I went with a bigger Battery as I use Dashcam parking record.

https://www.battery-kutter.de/main/en/Lead-batteries-/AGM-batteries-

Today it’s my 11th day without using the car and yesterday I only unlocked passenger door and boot to take something, all worked well. Maybe later will hook a smart charger or start in ready mode for 30 min to maintain some charge and should be alright. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Today it’s my 11th day without using the car and yesterday I only unlocked passenger door and boot to take something, all worked well. Maybe later will hook a smart charger or start in ready mode for 30 min to maintain some charge and should be alright. 

Hi Tony, is your Battery still the original one? what's its fully charged VOC? do you have any idea how much of voltage has dropped per day during the 11 day parking? my Battery drops at ~50mV per day, I don't know if it is too fast or it is the normal rate.

26 minutes ago, Davidhee58 said:

Hi Tony, is your battery still the original one? what's its fully charged VOC? do you have any idea how much of voltage has dropped per day during the 11 day parking? my battery drops at ~50mV per day, I don't know if it is too fast or it is the normal rate.

Hi, not yet out to test, so many things to do and everything happens so slow now with so much effort.
I may get test it later but only simple voltage check via the jump start points under the bonnet, can’t go to the boot and remove things. But I don’t know what was the voltage prior to leaving the car.
Yes, it is the original Battery either from 2010 or if ever been replaced before i bought the car this should be latest summer of 2015 , therefore it’s either 8 or 12.5 years old 👌

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links