Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Approved used depth

Mikey Pipes

Hi all first time posting here 👋.

Is anyone aware if approved used toyotas have a minimum tread depth other than the legal limit?

Bmw as an example are 3mm under their AUC.

I'm not sure if there is; I've read posts of people who have been sold with lower tread, but in those cases the dealer was challenged and did replace the tyres. Where the tread was over 3mm the challenge usually seems to be rejected so there seems to be at least an unofficial 3mm cutoff, if not an official one.

It's hard to say as some dealers are good but others... not so good. Anecdotally a lot of them seem to be skipping parts of PDIs and checks so don't skip checking the car yourself just because it says 'Used-Approved'! As far as I can tell, all that guarantees is it's had a full Toyota service history.

(That still has value tho', as the one thing that will make a Toyota last forever is regular quality oil changes, and if nothing else the dealer will use decent quality oil.)

On my old grandad wagon aka pug partner, I noticed the tyres had age cracking on the sidewalls, but plenty of tread.

Luckily the dealer I had bought it from was the last honest dealer around these here parts, and replaced all four with no quibble.

That was when I found out when I asked him on purchase why his prices were around 10% higher than competitors,he explained that he stood by all the cars he sold with his own guarantee, rather than hiding behind insurance backed warranties that cover basically nothing.

Plus it always amuses me when I see cars for sale with "90 day guarantee" isn't this mandatory for dealers selling retail cars?

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links