Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Keys!

Jo U

Thanks for clearing that up Devon - I was under the impression that the reason the lower-grade Mk4s only got one remote key was due to the chip shortages, but I didn't realize it was deliberate.

That was a very poor choice by them, and we were all shocked when we found out the Icon and Design buyers were only getting a single remote key, so I'm glad they saw sense on that.

The confusion was due to a post some months back, where a Mk4 Design owner was given an extra key free of charge, and the explanation given was they were supposed to come with 2 but didn't due to chip shortages, but maybe that was just a line from the dealer.

Take heed Mk4 owners - If you only have a single flip key, get that 2nd key off your dealer while the offer still stands!

And for anyone buying a used car from Toyota, always insist on having 2 'proper' keys as part of the sale, don't be fobbed off with them insisting the dumb key is the 2nd key!

I had to do this with my dad's Verso as they tried to only supply 1 key (And only even thought to do that after my experiences hunting for Yaris Mk1s, where third party dealers would often only have one key, and in one case they didn't even know the car had remote central locking because all the keys were missing and were replaced with a single generic key - I quickly learned to ask to see all the keys before agreeing to a sale!!)

It's a bit sad when you consider we used to get 3 keys - 2 black master keys and a grey valet key -  back in the day!

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Cyker said:

And for anyone buying a used car from Toyota, always insist on having 2 'proper' keys as part of the sale, don't be fobbed off

I.e. make sure both keys have a fob, not one key with and the second key 'fobbed off'.

(Sorry! 😀)

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Thanks for clearing that up Devon - I was under the impression that the reason the lower-grade Mk4s only got one remote key was due to the chip shortages, but I didn't realize it was deliberate.

That was a very poor choice by them, and we were all shocked when we found out the Icon and Design buyers were only getting a single remote key, so I'm glad they saw sense on that.

The confusion was due to a post some months back, where a Mk4 Design owner was given an extra key free of charge, and the explanation given was they were supposed to come with 2 but didn't due to chip shortages, but maybe that was just a line from the dealer.

Take heed Mk4 owners - If you only have a single flip key, get that 2nd key off your dealer while the offer still stands!

And for anyone buying a used car from Toyota, always insist on having 2 'proper' keys as part of the sale, don't be fobbed off with them insisting the dumb key is the 2nd key!

I had to do this with my dad's Verso as they tried to only supply 1 key (And only even thought to do that after my experiences hunting for Yaris Mk1s, where third party dealers would often only have one key, and in one case they didn't even know the car had remote central locking because all the keys were missing and were replaced with a single generic key - I quickly learned to ask to see all the keys before agreeing to a sale!!)

It's a bit sad when you consider we used to get 3 keys - 2 black master keys and a grey valet key -  back in the day!

Yep,3 keys here.

Good to see all the improvements.

• Like 2

Wow, you really do take care of that car! That probably deserves some sort of award; You're only 1 of maybe 3 Mk1 Yaris owners I know of who still has all 3 keys!! :laugh: 

Even on this forum there were a disturbing number of people who were driving along with only the grey key because they'd lost the other two!! :eek:  :laugh: 

(And then posted asking how they could get a new one after loosing that one too! :wallbash:)

• Like 2

MK 1 also have a metal tag with a number stamped on it for reordering spare keys.

Gray key overides alarm/ immobiliser system so you can start the car and rule out system faults from these units.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With the jokes on the side this clarification about the key in Yaris hybrid design spec makes it even less appealing to me. First disappointment was no push button start, now no second key, at least Yaris cross design has these. Another disappointment with many late Toyota models are lack of pockets on the back of the front seats or only one pocket on passenger seat. Real savings to be made.
Back in the days all trim levels had simple and useful things. Now it’s either a top spec or anything less and you will missed the basics. 

• Like 4

I miss the abuility to push/pull the rear seat but that was discontinued when the lap seat belt was replaced with the 3 point seatbelt for the center rear seat.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 10:37 PM, Big_D said:

Mine was definitely charging as the blue light was on. I also measured the voltage across the terminals

I am interested in the light intensity against voltage x current will give a wattage reading for all solar panels but against a 5 watt panel with the blue light on its going to be just stopping the Battery discharging from its current value more than using it to recharge the Battery to fully charged condition.

Of course I going to do this with Battery disconnected from car so  NO car .system dranage is taken into account. Its just for curiosity.

54 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Wow, you really do take care of that car! That probably deserves some sort of award; You're only 1 of maybe 3 Mk1 Yaris owners I know of who still has all 3 keys!! :laugh: 

Even on this forum there were a disturbing number of people who were driving along with only the grey key because they'd lost the other two!! :eek:  :laugh: 

(And then posted asking how they could get a new one after loosing that one too! :wallbash:)

Well the truth is Cyker I cannot take credit for that, it is down to the 2 previous owners, my neighbour who bought it new , and his lady friend who took it over, and who I bought it from in 2019.

It also has the metal tag that Derek mentions.

But yes, it is a pretty original car , with everything it came with when new.

Just keeping fingers 🤞 that it celebrates its twentieth birthday with a Mot pass.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

With the jokes on the side this clarification about the key in Yaris hybrid design spec makes it even less appealing to me. First disappointment was no push button start, now no second key, at least Yaris cross design has these. Another disappointment with many late Toyota models are lack of pockets on the back of the front seats or only one pocket on passenger seat. Real savings to be made.
Back in the days all trim levels had simple and useful things. Now it’s either a top spec or anything less and you will missed the basics. 

It should be okay now - They should all come with 2 'proper' keys, even the Design and Icon, from that Devon says.

38 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

I miss the abuility to push/pull the rear seat but that was discontinued when the lap seat belt was replaced with the 3 point seatbelt for the center rear seat.

In the Yaris? The Mk1 and Mk2 both had sliding rear seats and deffo had 3 point seat belts for all, even the centre seat; It was a bit awkward as it came from the same side as one of the other belts but looped round this big hook behind the centre seat to avoid strangling the window passenger. In the Mk2 they ran it from the roof instead :laugh: 

19 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Well the truth is Cyker I cannot take credit for that, it is down to the 2 previous owners, my neighbour who bought it new , and his lady friend who took it over, and who I bought it from in 2019.

It also has the metal tag that Derek mentions.

But yes, it is a pretty original car , with everything it came with when new.

Just keeping fingers 🤞 that it celebrates its twentieth birthday with a Mot pass.

All the keys AND the metal tag?! :eek: 

That's so rare I wasn't even sure if the Mk1s predated the metal tag (I've never seen one :laugh: ). Heck I bet half the people here lost the tag less than a year after buying the car :laugh: 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

It does have 2 remote keys on the lower trims now. Yeah I was disappointed with how they only have the push button start on top trim. My MK3 icon has push button start. 

As well no HUD and JBL. So my option in 2-3 years from the mk4 is to change to a excel cross when these things becomes available again, needed a bigger boot.  

• Like 3

I always note the key number from the metal or plastic tag (varies according to manufacturer) in the service and warranty book, and also keep a note of it on my phone.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

It does have 2 remote keys on the lower trims now. Yeah I was disappointed with how they only have the push button start on top trim. My MK3 icon has push button start. 

As well no HUD and JBL. So my option in 2-3 years from the mk4 is to change to a excel cross when these things becomes available again, needed a bigger boot.  

I must admit, if I was going to buy one now, I'd probably get the Mazda version as it still has all of those things!

I just think overall the Mazda rebadge is specced much more sensibly - It's just so weird that you can option 15" rims and the top spec gets the HUD as standard, along with some stuff the Toyota specs don't get at all like wireless charging. Still no heated seats and steering wheel alas!

10 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I always note the key number from the metal or plastic tag (varies according to manufacturer) in the service and warranty book, and also keep a note of it on my phone.

Well you would, being at minimum a finalist for the coveted Most Organized Man In The World award :laugh: 

• 5 months later...

Last night I picked up a very nice used Yaris Design 2020 model from my Toyota dealer, and it too only came with one full function key and one mechanical one.

Presales I asked if it came with two keys and was assured it did. I foolishly assumed it would be the same as my Lexus: two full function keys and one mechanical for garage use.

I grumbled, and the sales guy hinted that the previous owner might have lost it.

I've now found that the machanical key does not unset the alarm, so its useless if my wife and I need a key each.

I've formally asked the dealer to sort it out or I may have to reject the car as being unsuitable for purpose.

Be interesting to see the response.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Tony, they should find it easier to program a third (second) key.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony VC said:

Last night I picked up a very nice used Yaris Design 2020 model from my Toyota dealer, and it too only came with one full function key and one mechanical one.

Presales I asked if it came with two keys and was assured it did. I foolishly assumed it would be the same as my Lexus: two full function keys and one mechanical for garage use.

I grumbled, and the sales guy hinted that the previous owner might have lost it.

I've now found that the machanical key does not unset the alarm, so its useless if my wife and I need a key each.

I've formally asked the dealer to sort it out or I may have to reject the car as being unsuitable for purpose.

Be interesting to see the response.

Yes i would reject the car if they don't give another remote key free of charge. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links