Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic wipers

Unaz

Is it normal for automatic wipers to stop halfway when you turn ignition off for 2010 Toyota verso?

Or is it that wrong relay is used?

I've never had a car with automatic wipers which stop halfway. They've always completed the cycle. 

I think most of our previous cars (Mainly Fords and Toyotas) have done that, if we cut power to the car mid-wipe. Only car I recall not doing that is my dad's old Merc Estate.

Come to think of it my mate's old Audi and Passat didn't either so maybe the German cars keep the power on?

• Like 1

Its normal for a lot af cars to stop the wipers mid cycle if you turn off the key just wait until it in park position or better still switch wipers to off because if its freezes to the screen in the winter then you run the risk of it pulling the wiper rubber away at usully a edge or even the arm moving rotating on its shaft so its out of synch or just not moving as the shaft oscillates.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Its normal for a lot af cars to stop the wipers mid cycle if you turn off the key just wait until it in park position or better still switch wipers to off because if its freezes to the screen in the winter then you run the risk of it pulling the wiper rubber away at usully a edge or even the arm moving rotating on its shaft so its out of synch or just not moving as the shaft oscillates.

I thought whole idea was to make life easy not difficult. Either some idiot at Toyota badly designed it or something isn't right here. 

A lot af MFG cut power to the wipers if you turn off the key.

Some cars the speed of the wiper is determend by the rain sensor if fitted but then you can choose continuos operation.

If your wipers are frozen to the screen then somethink has to give it you apply power to them.

10 minutes ago, Unaz said:

I thought whole idea was to make life easy not difficult. Either some idiot at Toyota badly designed it or something isn't right here. 

I can assure you that Toyota doesn’t have idiots in their design department, they have a reputation for having the most reliable cars in production for many years now, and you don’t get that by having idiots on your payroll.

• Like 1

It's been handy on some cars as it makes them easier to reach to replace the blades :laugh: 

When you switch the car back on it will finish the sweep and settle back to position so it's no big deal.

My dad's old Focus didn't do that unless the wiper was cycled again, so you could drive it with the wipers vertical like a Le Mans car if you turned it off at the right time :laugh: 

The thing is, esp. on earlier cars, the ignition switch was a real power switch, so if you turned the car off, it cut power to everything, so there'd be no way for the wiper motors to continue.

Lots of other cars, esp. now, the ignition switch is fake, and just sends signals to the ECU but otherwise doesn't actually do anything. In this case, the wipers could be left on.

10 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's been handy on some cars as it makes them easier to reach to replace the blades :laugh: 

When you switch the car back on it will finish the sweep and settle back to position so it's no big deal.

My dad's old Focus didn't do that unless the wiper was cycled again, so you could drive it with the wipers vertical like a Le Mans car if you turned it off at the right time :laugh: 

The thing is, esp. on earlier cars, the ignition switch was a real power switch, so if you turned the car off, it cut power to everything, so there'd be no way for the wiper motors to continue.

Lots of other cars, esp. now, the ignition switch is fake, and just sends signals to the ECU but otherwise doesn't actually do anything. In this case, the wipers could be left on.

Stupidly enough headlights don't turn off until you open the door but wipers stop halfway when you turn engine off. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

I can assure you that Toyota doesn’t have idiots in their design department, they have a reputation for having the most reliable cars in production for many years now, and you don’t get that by having idiots on your payroll.

Let's not talk about Toyota's reliability either. Their diesel engine is pile of p**p in my opinion. Poor reliability and MPG. 

I've spent in excess of £1200 in last 12 months and still having issues. Full Toyota service history.

On automatic wipers note, why bother implementing something which only half works. There are some very ill judged decisions made by Toyota. 

I feel you might be happier with a VW or Audi...

I prefer this method if you in a garage and the wipers a mid cycle because you have not turned it off at least the power to the motor is off while you fill up.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links