Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Groovy discs.

Pixelle.

Hello folks,

Following a safety inspection report on my Yaris 4, there's an 'advisory' mention on the condition of my front discs which are rusty and grooved, I have been quoted £270 (fitted) for a new pair on my Yaris 4.  As I have only travelled about 1000 miles in this car since I bought it 6 months ago with 11500 on the clock,  I'm gobsmacked. Moving from company vehicles to owning my own in 2000, I have never had to fit new discs to any vehicle that has only done 12k. Do you think they are quoting for pads too or am I out of touch with inflation. Cheap to run, but at this rate certainly not to maintain if you are not a D.I.Y. bod.

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 09.23.15.png

• Like 1

That's nothing, they'll clean up with a bit of use.

Get a micrometer and measure the thickness, that's what matters.

• Like 1

Looks like just disc, from this, prices at my local dealer for Yaris:

Capture.thumb.JPG.233d8f55b8d601801e6a160efe60c209.JPG

You would want pads too if the disc is that scored, although how deep are the scores? 

Is your braking still ok.  

It would be worth shopping around, as long as you use OEM quality parts the warranty should not be affected.

• Like 1

Thanks Stephen and guy. Breaking is fine so I'm trying to clear some rust as you advise and will get a quotes from elsewhere too. The tech man said there is 10.00 mm remaining on the front pair and 8.00mm on the rear pair. He said they were fine at the moment but to watch the fronts. 

Your quotes were blurred Guy so I couldn't read them.

• Like 1

I take it those measurements refer to the pads?

You need to know the thickness of the discs, too.

• Like 1

Hi Stephen, I have just checked the report. That was the pads measurement. It said that the rear outer discs were beginning to score and that the inner sides are beginning to corrode.

This, and this is what is important.  It is usually stamped into the disc somewhere.  The pads will wear into the groove and you will still have full contact between the pad and the disc.

• Like 1

Lots of town driving does that, it's a quirk of the hybrid's, a long run on a higher speed road with some hard breaking will get some heat in the pads and discs, A trip down Sutton bank will do it too 😉

it doesn't need disks and pads, it's just a dealer upsell

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pixelle. said:

Thanks Stephen and guy. Breaking is fine so I'm trying to clear some rust as you advise and will get a quotes from elsewhere too. The tech man said there is 10.00 mm remaining on the front pair and 8.00mm on the rear pair. He said they were fine at the moment but to watch the fronts. 

Your quotes were blurred Guy so I couldn't read them.

Click on the image it will open it, but disks and pads are £310

Like the others say though, go on a good run and do some firm, not harsh, braking and that will help clean up the disks

• Like 1

Thank you for your helpful replies gentlemen. I think you are right about the dealer upsell comment Flash22. Never had any of that nonsense with my Fords. Good suggestion about Sutton Bank 👍. Will try either Staxton or Garrowby hill as they are nearer.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pixelle. said:

Thank you for your helpful replies gentlemen. I think you are right about the dealer upsell comment Flash22. Never had any of that nonsense with my Fords. Good suggestion about Sutton Bank 👍. Will try either Staxton or Garrowby hill as they are nearer.

+1 for dealers up sale. Toyota hybrids can go over 100k miles on original brakes easily. The problem is regenerative braking and lack of use. Town driving actually is better for cleaning the brakes because in towns at lower speeds the car will use act brakes to stop while if you are cruising on motorway and slowing down this will be mostly on regenerative braking. These cars suffer from rust indeed and require brake service, dismantle, clean and lube pins every two years. No parts needed to change. And your rear brakes will need change first btw when time comes up. 👍

Nothing wrong with those discs, they will clean up with some spirited driving.  Dealers are a nightmare, if it looks slightly second-hand they want to replace it, or if tyres are below 3mm they give you a lecture how it is safer to change them.  I remember having an advisory on a steering component advised main dealer, so bought a new component with the intention of getting it fitted somewhere cheaper.  8 years later I still have that component in the boot of my car which is checked every service by a different mechanic who can't find a fault.  Another main dealer I was told I needed my engine removed to inspect an oil link, only to find at a different garage that it was a simple cover, replaced in 10 minutes.

I think on the whole, (main dealers especially) are looking to make some easy cash.

• Like 1

I was in Tech Sales for a brake manufacturer for 17 years.  I wouldn’t be in such a hurry to say there’s nothing wrong without a proper look and a feel of those lines.  It would be worth giving them a run to see how it turns out.  As for the mileage, well often very low mileage is worse than high.  Don’t give her bad advice folks, this is brakes we’re talking about.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pixelle. said:

Hello folks,

Following a safety inspection report on my Yaris 4, there's an 'advisory' mention on the condition of my front discs which are rusty and grooved, I have been quoted £270 (fitted) for a new pair on my Yaris 4.  As I have only travelled about 1000 miles in this car since I bought it 6 months ago with 11500 on the clock,  I'm gobsmacked. Moving from company vehicles to owning my own in 2000, I have never had to fit new discs to any vehicle that has only done 12k. Do you think they are quoting for pads too or am I out of touch with inflation. Cheap to run, but at this rate certainly not to maintain if you are not a D.I.Y. bod.

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 09.23.15.png

Drivers way of cleaning the brakes would be on quiet road with minimal cars around or non it’s even better. Do a quick slow down from 60mph to 20mph and repeat that 4-5 times then keep driving for another 5 min before you come to a complete stop. Then you can stop at a safe place and check the brakes. 
You can also use some of those infrared thermometers to check the temperature of the discs., do not touch by hand . Check before the procedure and then after. You should get similar digits between left and right side, front to rear will differ a bit. 👍

image.thumb.jpeg.79ea87da354d01c80166c9f6366bc23a.jpeg

• Like 1

I just take mine on a good hoon on some twisty country roads; Seems to help :laugh: 

You could also go for a drive through Milton Keynes - All those smegging roundabouts will give the brake system a solid workout!! :wacko: :laugh: 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links