Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross hybrid battery capacity?

Trewithy

Can anyone confirm the size of the hybrid Battery in the Yaris Cross?  I read a review of the Yaris Cross in which it said the hybrid Battery had a capacity of 1.5Kw as opposed to 0.7Kw in the standard Yaris.  I thought both models had the same engine / hybrid system.

I'd also heard it had a larger capacity......

• Like 1

That would make sense at first glance, but given the stupid mpg the thing gets, it's clearly not needed, and you get the benefit of less weight and less cost too.

The thing is, the Battery in the HEVs has a different role to that in EVs and to a lessor extent PHEVs - It's sole purpose is to capture wasted energy from braking and especially the engine, and then use it, not act as an energy source. Toyota apparently realized this and also realized that this means it doesn't need to be especially big.

There are some downsides - The EV-mode button is basically pointless with such low capacity (Still think they should replace it with a Force-Charge button!), and it can't run the car systems while stationary, esp. the AC compressor, for more than a few minutes without having to fire up the engine again.

But these are edge-cases; During normal use the lower weight makes up for it, as does the lower cost. (This should also be the cheapest Battery to replace out of all the hybrids; I reckon it'd cost about as much as a clutch job rather than 2-3x that with the other hybrids!)

• Like 1

This confirms what you said about the small Battery size, amazing tech tho!

• Like 2

He's very enthusiastic about high voltage systems :laugh: 

• Haha 1

That cooling fan is very big compared to the MK3 which is like a large desktop pc fan. Different Battery MK3 to MK4, better cooling is always better. Interesting video. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links