Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Petrol tank issue(?)

Pawn33

Ok, I have a 2019 Corolla 1.8 Hybrid, tank capacity 43 L from what I have read.

For the last while 35 or so liters will fill it. Today 34.85L filled it with 120km left on the estimated range, getting 4.4L/100KM. Estimated rang 857 km after this fill.

Now last year when petrol was OTT expensive I did throw in the fuel from the lawn mower jerrycan about 7/8 liters, estimator was saying 30km left in tank, but the extra petrol did not register on the tank needle, it stayed near empty with low fuel warning on dashboard.

Is there anyway to reset this? Mentioned this to the Toyota service guy, he he said it was just a float nothing to reset. 

Any ideas? 

On previous Toyota models, and think the Corolla will be the same, filling up with less than 15 litres may cause false readings. So filling up with approx 8 litres may not register.

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry too much, the needle has been below empty on my 2021 TS and it still takes less than 40 liters to fill up. Just one of those quarks.

• Like 1

On mine, the gauge doesn't have an E for empty, it has an R which I have taken to mean (start of) reserve!?

• Like 1

Sounds normal to me, the fuel gauges on Toyotas tend to very 'risk-adverse'. My wife once drove our 2009 Auris about 30 miles home with the fuel gauge on empty and the range showing as zero. Our nearest petrol station was 6 miles away but I decided to risk driving there to fill up. I got there with no problem and the amount I was able to fill up by showed that there must have been 7+ litres still in the tank even at that point.

• Like 2

at least the range count`s down , a previous car just gave fuel low warning below 100 miles so i`ve had a few nail biters in the past.

• Like 1

Your tank will not be empty when you go to the station regardless of what the dial reads.  You need to let go of worrying about something that's not relevant.  It comes across as if you feel like you've been short changed or something.  You haven't.

• Like 2

Yeah, I don’t see why people are worrying about fuel tanks. As long as it’s not leaking the fuel is there. Once drops below half or 1/3 fill up full again and enjoy your car no matter if you refilled 20 or 25ltr the petrol is there and you gonna use it. 👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links