Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Listen to the rattle n smoke.

Not looking

2011 2.0 d4d engine AR2-AUR20.

Just getting up to speed joining  motorway when there was a bang sound followed by loads of rattling and loads of blue smoke which looked like the car was on fire. After pulling on to the hard shoulder the engine was running very fast before it then stopped. Engine light on with code p0093 for fuel system large leak. Can't see any leaks. Any idea what it might be? I'm thinking the turbo has gone AWOL and maybe fuel pump as well. Engine oil smells burnt and she now just turns over and won't start.

• Sad 1

Diesel run away? Rattling doesn't sound good. Any oil usage prior or high levels of oil/diesel on the dipstick? Turbo gone a possibility.

James.

Oil level fine two days ago. Was thinking that maybe an injector broke and fell in side the cylinder and bent a rod and some valves. Seeing as i have code for large fuel leak, surely that would drop pressure and trigger the code. But the amount of smoke before i got to stop was horrendous, so is it possible that if the injector fell would it punch a hole and let oil in? Cheers.

P0093 doesn't mean there is an external fuel leak the code comes on when the fuel pressure after the high pressure pump drops significantly when detected by the common rail the most likely cause and a known issue is failure of one or more injectors which have stuck open causing the sudden drop in fuel pressure and massive over fuelling causing the rattle and smoke.

The car needs connecting to a suitable diagnostic machine and the injector operation checked with defective injectors being replaced.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply. Was having a poke round just now and the expansion bottle has dropped 10mm below min with some black residue like tide marks. looks like water was going out and black bits at the bottom. No water in oil as far as i can tell. Is it possible that the head has gone quickly and the engine stopped so suddenly that it had no time to reach the oil pan as it was blown strait out the back? All so what's the likely it's bent a rod and valve or 2? Still not starting and i think its lack of compression. Cheers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links