Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air con needs re gassing?

markybug

So with the hot weather recently I have discovered the air con on our October 2022 purchased 2016 Yaris is of course not cold 😂 my own fault for next checking at the time I guess ! We don’t use it for holidays as similar like the civic so it can wait till service time this October! 

buyer beware ?!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You might want to consider getting it re-gassed sooner, a lot of the guidance on car aircon systems make a point about the need to run it regularly to keep seals well lubricated to stop them drying out and further leaks developing, if the pressure drops too low the compressor motor won't cut in to circulate the refrigerant and oil. If the pressure gets really low to the point that moisture can get in to the system via the leak, that can apparently cause damage as well.

• Like 8

Air con not necessary to be used to maintain its working order or longevity. The system needs periodic refill so it is indeed beneficial to get it check and regas every 4 years or so.  Most people prefer to have it ON in Auto mode all year around which is perfectly fine. This however will not exclude the periodic service, cabin filter best to be replaced every year instead of recommended two years intervals. 👍

• Like 4

You might want to consider getting it re-gassed sooner, 

I agree, the rule of thumb is a system will lost 10% of its refrigerant every year so you are down to 30% if lucky, getting it re-gassed will also show if you have a leak if you take it somewhere that has a decent machine.

Some members have said the system doesn't need to be run regularly to keep it in good condition but i always do even if only for a couple of minutes in winter to help demist in summer its on most of the time. 

RAC -
There are plenty of myths around air-con, but what should you really be doing?

Getting the system re-gassed, is often the best way to keep your air-con in top form, as well as ensuring you use it all year round, but there are plenty of other things to consider too.

Here we look at people's top air-con issues, seperating fact from fiction.

Should I use the air-con in winter too?

In a word, absolutely.

In fact consider it an essential part of car maintenance that could directly save you money on repair work further down the line.

First and foremost using warm air from the system in winter is a great way to demist the windows.

The air coming out of the vents is dry, so the air-con acts as a dehumidifier.

An air-con system is much like the human body – if not used for long periods it can seize up, plus circulation suffers.

The air-con is filled with a refrigerant and some oil, and it pays to keep that liquid flowing and the components of the system lubricated.

• Like 5

Agree..^^^...I'd get it re-gassed as soon as poss.

• Like 5

Ok thanks for all the advice, will look to book sooner rather than later 

• Like 2

I am under the impression you regas every 2 years now & turn it on if not in use every week or two just to lubricate the seals.

Prevention is better in the long run for your pocket.

• Like 1

Check Groupon they often have a deal on aircon re gas at ATS.

• Like 2

Also check your cabin filter, mine had been fitted upside down, I was surprised at the difference it made.

The only people who had touched it before I found this, were the (French) factory and a main dealer!

• Like 4

I have just had mine serviced and they didn't even mention re-gassing so i think every two years is far too often.

Using it regularly is definitely the thing to do.

• Like 1

If you have climate control it's best to leave it on and let the car cycle it on and off as it wants.

• Like 3

Mine still works, not brilliantly, but still cools the air. The car is Dec 2014 registered, and has never been re-gassed The problem is that every time I use it and switch it off, the air starts stinking until the air passages dry out. Probably because the system doesnt get used much and the evaporator matrix gets bacteria build up on it, which smells bad. Once the A/c is chilling the air the smell goes away, but returns once the system is turned off again or starting the engine for the next use of the car, when the smell is quite bad. The pollen filter is not dirty, and the car has only covered 30k miles, but the smell really does put me off using the a/c unless its really necessary.

My old Yaris mk2 when the a/c did used to work, did not smell at all after using the a/c, just this current car.

I doubt if I took it to Kwik Fit for a/c service and recharge it would do anything about the bad smells, unless currently the evaporator doesnt get cold enough to kill any bacteria build up on it and a regas would mean it might not smell any more. Now the weather is warming up I will just leave the a/c on permanently - it still cools the air, but I might consider getting it regassed if that might help kill the bad smells it gives off.

Have a look round other posts on A/C , get it hot enough to kill the bacteria, not on cold.

Put everything on hot when engine hot ,full fan speed.

That is if I remember properly.

• Like 5

Alternatively, you could just open a window...😁

Alex

• Like 1

If there are bad smells, the best things to do are cook them by turning the heat to max and getting the engine real hot, as @Rhymes with Paris suggests. The cold just stops the smell from vapourizing as much since the bacteria have been chilled, but it'll build up when it's off again.

It may also be worth getting one of those 'air con bombs', where you set the car to recirculate and maximum cold and fan speed, then set it off and shut all the doors and leave it running for a while until all the smoke clears and hopefully all the stinky bacteria have been murdered. They come in a variety of scents! (The AC bombs, not the bacteria)

• Like 3

I'm not familiar with the air path the air takes once entering the system - I presumed it would enter via the scuttle under the windscreen, then go through the air diverter which determines whether the intake air comes from the outside or circulated from the inside, followed by going through the pollen filter, after this the air would go through the a/c evaporator which has the drip tray under it to channel away condensate, and then after this it would either bypass the heater matrix or go through it depending on the heat control knob on the dash, so if this was the case, having the heater on max would not send hot air through the a/c evaporator.

Unless of course I am wrong and the air goes through the heater matrix before going through the a/c evaporator, in which case the hot air would go through the evaporator. I guess I need to look into which path the airflow takes. I'll try the heater on max for a while, and if that doesnt work, the a/c bomb would probably be the next step,  but might as well look at getting it re-gassed as its not been done in 8 and a half years, and change the pollen filter as well.

I get a smell from mine when I switch it on and off. It's a grease or oil type smell and I assume it's from the linkage.

I've tried one of those 'bombs' without success. I now spray some deodoriser into the scuttle with the bonnet up and the fan on full now and then. That seems to do the trick.

• Like 2

The a/c bombs are quite cheap just had a look, and I think they act to kill bacteria build up throughout the air passages as you set the system to recirculate the air and thus the active ingredients in the air bomb round and round the system for 10 minutes. Worth a try for the few quid it will cost and with a new cabin filter at least the airflow will be as it should be and not impeded by a partially clogged filter.

Next question is though which gas my car would use, as it says cars pre 2014 would use R134a and cars after 2017 would all use R1234YF which costs twice the price to have done - its quite a steep difference. Cars produced between 2014 and 2016 could use either gas and I'm now not sure if Toyota started changing the gas over from the first facelift cars. Anyone else with a late 2014 first facelift car (around a 64 - 15 plate) - could they tell me what gas theirs used when regassed?

On 6/6/2023 at 9:55 PM, G L J said:

Check Groupon they often have a deal on aircon re gas at ATS.

If you check the small print it says not suitable for Electric or Hybrid vehicles 

• Like 1

Hybrids AC uses different type of oil in the compressor and only this oil should be used. Important to ask if the garage has the machine that oil can be changed safely., some old machines can not and may contaminate your system. 
For the AC smell, always when ON or OFF a smell can happen because of condensation.  There is a drain pipe that needs to checked for been unblocked and let water out. 
Not using the AC will not cause issues or gas loss., using it non stop in hot climates will and will require more often regas. 
Not using ac will also not cause a bacterial to build up.
Using it in manual mode on and off by the driver without following important steps will cause moisture locking up and eventually bacteria forming and a bad smell. These are best treated with heat and few sprays of simple antibacterial spray into air intake and regular cabin filter changes. 
For many owners the best way is to use hvac in auto mode with ac on all year around. Doing so will minimise risks of bacteria.
Remember using or not using ac every 3-4 years ac service is required to maintain longevity. , again it’s about planned maintenance. 
If you don’t like AC that’s fine, you can keep it off but the hvac fun should always be on, at least at speed 1 to allow ventilation of the system and cabin. 
If you use ac manually good idea to turn it off 5min before you switch off the car and has no plans of using it again after you start the car later on, this is to allow any moisture evaporate away from the ducts and core. 

• Like 3

There will be an AC info plate/sticker in the engine bay. This will tell you the refrigerant type and capacity.

• Like 1

You may also be able to tell from the pipes, as R134 has a different fitting to R1234.

I thought my dad's Verso was R134 so was a bit shocked at how much it cost to regas - Turns out is uses R1234! Annoyingly the sticker is missing from the engine bay, so I never suspected!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply!

Got the car re gassed last Thursday for approximately £72. They emptied the system, UV scanned? Checked all over for damage and or leaks and re filled. Said all seems fine but to keep an eye on it in case it possibly was stone damage etc as that could involve parts needing replaced. 

aircon is still working fine with no leaks (touch wood !)

• Like 6

Got ours re-gassed yesterday R134A at our local garage £40, yes they put the oil in and dye to check for leaks when I asked if there was a problem with holding pressure, they said no it happens sometimes if you don't use it, at £72 where was that done at Toyota.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links