Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air con needs re gassing?

markybug

I only paid £49.93 for a regas last year around the end of 10/22 at a Toyota garage just maybe a discount as it was also serviced.

• Like 3

Wow I can't believe you guys have places that still do it for 40-50 - Around here you'd be lucky to get it for 60 and Toyota wanted 90! (I dread to think what it will be for my Mk4 since that uses 1234yf!)

• Like 1

Halfords

Free Air Con Check

Price based on your selected location and vehicle. Intervening prices may have been charged

• Keep your Air Con at optimal performance
  • Our fully trained staff check for common issues
  • Air Con Recharge available from just £50

12 hours ago, wildtapholer said:

Got ours re-gassed yesterday R134A at our local garage £40, yes they put the oil in and dye to check for leaks when I asked if there was a problem with holding pressure, they said no it happens sometimes if you don't use it, at £72 where was that done at Toyota.

That’s a decent price !  Just at our local garage also, was happy enough with the price tbh. 

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

Halfords - 

Free Air Con Check

Price based on your selected location and vehicle. Intervening prices may have been charged

• Keep your Air Con at optimal performance
  • Our fully trained staff check for common issues
  • Air Con Recharge available from just £50

“From” always worries me ! That’s probably for something tiny ?

42 minutes ago, markybug said:

“From” always worries me ! That’s probably for something tiny ?

Worth a call!

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

Wow I can't believe you guys have places that still do it for 40-50 - Around here you'd be lucky to get it for 60 and Toyota wanted 90! (I dread to think what it will be for my Mk4 since that uses 1234yf!)

Yes it was Toyota at Durham and for the Yaris Mk4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my past 20 years owning Toyota, I rarely need to do vacuum and fill refrigerant. The only time I did that was on my 2006 Prius that had evaporator leak in 2016. 

I add a can of 134A on my Avalon 98. It takes 1 small can pure 134A in 2009 at 130k miles.  Since then, it was ice cold until I sold it in 2014. 

I know that cars have rubber seals in many joins but i think 10 years is about the time when we often need to vacuum and add an exact amount of refrigerant. 

Every 2 years is a joke. My Auris is almost 8 years/90k miled and I never touch the AC system. It is still very cold and most German friends complain that I set the AC too cold at 22C. 

I turn the AC in winter too because it also take moistures and prevent fogging. Sometimes open the vent/recirculation-off also helps. 

The AC is part of the hybrid Battery cooling system, it should be always own when outside temp above 25C.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AisinW said:

The AC is part of the hybrid battery cooling system, it should be always own when outside temp above 25C.

Do sales advise this or is it in the owners handbook? 

If you ask me the AC should be ON  when outside air temperature is just only 18C°. The reason is because the batteries emit heat that warms up the interior very quickly and remains there , it doesn’t vent out very well, this happens especially on Prius plus cars where they have the hybrid Battery placed between the two front seats. AC regas 4 years is a good starting point. It’s not just the gas but the oil inside that evaporates.
in 6 years times my car lost 110gr of gas and 10ml of oil according the machine that run the test and regas the system. The AC was working absolute fine prior service it where my other Auris same car in 8 years time had half or less than a half of the gas inside and the AC compressor was very loud and not so cold. This is how the system will show you that needs service, loud compressor and less cold, plus it will keep running most of the times where when full it will be on and off more often saving some fuel especially if you drive in towns where hybrids reduce ev time when ac is used in hot weather. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Do sales advise this or is it in the owners handbook? 

Our hybrid is air cooled.  PHEV like Prius has recommended option to turn the AC on when we charge it with AC outlet at home.  Yes, we need to make sure the air is cool enough for the life of the hybrid Battery.  

I am personally always turn the AC on when it is sunny and above 20C.  When it is cloudy, 22C is still ok.  25C is just the maximum limit that I think we must turn the AC on. It control temperature and humidity (prevent rust on the HV busbar).

I am not sure about how loud the AC system is supposed to be.  The AC in hybrid is Scroll Compressor, and it has a unique sound even when it is new.  I never really measure the amount of the refrigerant inside the car but as long as it is still cold and fast, it is still good.  

Prius has a glass window to see if it is bubbling or not.  If it is bubbling under normal usage, it means the refrigerant is not enough.

Make sure the hose, pipes, and AC equipment of the mechanics is specific only for hybrid and BEV.  We only can use ND11 non conductive oil, regular car AC with PAG may cause damaged to the compressor high voltage wiring.  

• Like 3

On 6/24/2023 at 6:37 AM, Cyker said:

I dread to think what it will be for my Mk4 since that uses 1234yf!)

Might be even more dreadful when 5678wtf gas is introduced.

Oh, and that's what the flip.

A common sign that air conditioner is  getting low on gas is that it will blow cold air mostly from the centre air vents and not so cold from the side ones and happens to all cars including hybrids. 

• Like 2

My car still uses pure 134A. We rarely need to add ND11 oil over the life of the car.  I am not sure about the new 1234yf refrigerant. Usually newer refrigerant works at higher pressure than R134A. Just like when we moved from  R12 to R134A. 

Newer refrigerant is supposed to be safer for ozone but if it leaks faster, I still do not get the idea right. 

• Like 3

I have been looking at the price for a ragas and Toyota charge £69 or £149 :shocking: depending on which gas your system uses could someone tell me which my 2019 MK3 uses.

Thanks in advance.

£69 for R134a gas or £149 for R1234yf gas.

• Like 1

This is how and what typical 2014 Prius AC recharge.  It has 375g out of 420g (factory filled).  We must change or clean the cabin air filter regularly to prevent any false reading of the sensors in our AC system.  Our scroll compressor AC has variable pressure range that always works effeciently even when it is a bit low in refrigerant.   I am not sure why do we need to worry about things that works normally.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Save our money and use it for something better like steak or salads. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links