Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Future of EV Charging?

Bper

A company called Electreon wanted to prove how its electric roads can revolutionize EV ownership and eliminate range anxiety. 

Electreon, drove an electric Toyota for 1,206 miles straight without charging. An innovative wireless charging system embedded under the asphalt.  Electreon says its electric roads solve range anxiety and the need for huge EV batteries .

Driving an electric car without ever needing to stop and recharge. Well, it's possible. And the answer isn't in the car itself — it's in the road.

Electreon, an Israeli startup founded in 2013, is developing electric roadways that can charge moving vehicles wirelessly, potentially eliminating the need for lengthy pit stops or plugging in. To demonstrate the tech's potential, Electreon drove an electric Toyota for 1,206 miles straight on a test track that had its wireless charging coils embedded under the asphalt.

That's about five times farther than a normal EV can travel on a full charge. The impressive feat shows how wireless charging can revolutionize EV ownership.

Yeaaah good luck with that.

They couldn't add an extra lane to our motorways without cannibalizing the hard shoulder and that still took over a decade, and they can't even afford to fix potholes but they want to dig up substantial lengths of roadway to install electrical coils? And how long will they last before they get damaged? And the transmission losses will be horrific; You'll be lucky to get 30% energy transfer!

If they can get it working for Formula E so it's not such a joke then I'll pay more attention, but this seems like yet another pie-in-the-sky idea that won't work in real life, like Solar Roadways...

This is the problem with all these idiotic ideas - They are all Form over Function.

They need to focus on sorting out the basic charging infrastructure and improving vehicle energy storage capacity before they start wasting money and resources distracting with things like this, but they won't because sensible things are boring and people are idiots that always go after the shiny instead :wallbash:

• Like 4

Great lets hope it rolled out on motorways as a and b roads you lucky if they fix the potholes!.

• Haha 4

A year or two ago the goverment were talking about overhead cables for recharging batteries for cars and hgv vehicles on the motorways it was like tram technology but system retracted for overtaking and was only inteded for 1 or 2 lanes not 3 but it died a death.

Funding I presume!.

• Like 2

So this is why the charges are so high in London. It's to pay for the entire road system in London to be fitted with electric coils to reduce the emissions 😁😁

• Haha 4

Just waiting for Hornby to upscale Scalextric as an alternative system .........

• Haha 7

But you do of course realise that we'll all spin off on the corners 😁

• Haha 5

Yes but the upscaled plastic crash barriers would help prevent that - 

image.thumb.png.b5be61de7da8b30efeafd458b4c544ca.png

• Haha 8

Dont worry electric range of over 600 miles is in the pipeline at least for some cars in the next 2 years and thats also using low priced electrode materials for some cars.

Note this is 600 miles of range at all Battery tempritures including re-charging.

• Like 1

Now, at 600 miles of range, it becomes worth me considering an EV

• Like 3

Heck I'd be happy with a real world 400 in a Yaris-sized car, but 600 would be mega. Sadly I'm not optimistic that will ever happen while I can still drive...!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Heck I'd be happy with a real world 400 in a Yaris-sized car, but 600 would be mega. Sadly I'm not optimistic that will ever happen while I can still drive...!

Never say never😅

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That would be a lot of Duracells.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

That would be a lot of Duracells.

As long as you are every ready it shouldn't be a problem😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You just might want this to for a electric car!.

IMG_0606.thumb.PNG.9552271ac932e2978e38f4b8042f5d17.PNG

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links