Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dealer overfilled

Søren Hansen

Hi all. 

Today our corolla cross had it's first 15.000 km service. And as usual, the engine oil is overfilled.  About 5-6 mm above the MAX mark. It also always happened with the old Toyota. 

It does bother me. But I doubt it will hurt anything. 

Anyone else who also experience the dealer constantly overfill the oil? 

Thanks. 

Have a nice day. 

Kindly Søren. 

• Sad 2

When did you check the oil level was it when you got back from the dealer and was the engine still hot. If not have you asked them why it has been overfilled and if so why do they do this.👍

• Like 1

it happened to me before, and brought my car back to the dealership and asked them to take some oil out, the service representative said it was ok. It may not hurt the engine, but when it is not ok, IMO, it may be difficult to calim it was their fault, and also the owner manual clealrly states engine oil should be never overfilled.

• Like 3

Just curious is the overfilling being discovered after returning from the dealer and if so what is the reason for checking it after its just been done. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Bper said:

Just curious is the overfilling being discovered after returning from the dealer and if so what is the reason for checking it after its just been done. 

Well. Old habbit 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Bper said:

Hi Bob, no offence meant but a bit of a stupid question, that's one of the first things I do when I get home after a service.

I've had two services and both times it's been overfilled 🙂 

Why would you not check the oil level after a service Bob ?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Søren Hansen said:

Hi all. 

Today our corolla cross had it's first 15.000 km service. And as usual, the engine oil is overfilled.  About 5-6 mm above the MAX mark. It also always happened with the old Toyota. 

It does bother me. But I doubt it will hurt anything. 

Anyone else who also experience the dealer constantly overfill the oil? 

Thanks. 

Have a nice day. 

Kindly Søren. 

Hi Seren, I've had two services and oil had been overfilled each time.

I took about 500ml out each time via the dipstick, it may or may not have done any damage, but it should be at the full mark on the dipstick, not above or below 👍

• Like 2

Seren, based on my previous experience with the oil overfill, I would estimate that 6mm could be about 1 litre overfill ☹️

19 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

Seren, based on my previous experience with the oil overfill, I would estimate that 6mm could be about 1 litre overfill ☹️

Wow.. how much was yours over the MAX mark? 

I also always check the oil and filters after a service, just to make sure they're actually done. I will give that to Jemca - Although I've caught them not changing the fob Battery, they've always done the oil and any filters on the schedule (But nothing else!). I used to think they were underfilling it, but I was checking when the car was cold and, according to the manual, the oil should be at the Max mark when the engine is still warm, and when I measured it that way it was right on the top dot.

I wonder if they're doing something weird, like putting in the exact quantity of oil specced, but also pre-filling the oil filter, so it's over by the amount in the oil filter...?

• Like 3

You can buy a syringe with 6mm tube and suck the excess oil out. This is common practice dealers service to overfill with oil. 1-2mm over not a big deal, more better to suck it out. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Hi Bob, no offence meant but a bit of a stupid question, that's one of the first things I do when I get home after a service.

I've had two services and both times it's been overfilled 🙂 

Why would you not check the oil level after a service Bob ?

Hi lain, 

No offence taken at all mate, to be honest I was curious as to why it was necessary to check the oil after it had just been serviced. But it seems I have learnt something new today, it seems a common practice that the service dealer overfills with oil.

It raises a couple of questions for me. Why do they do this in the first place and what have they said about why they do it when and if questioned. 

The second question is how the hell are you able to trust any of these dealers if you have to check everything that they are supposed to do on a service. Many people would not have a clue what to look for or know if a part has been changed.

To be honest I have checked my oil level after a service but not for about a week later and the level was fine. This has now got me thinking do you have to mark every part so you know if it has been changed or not.

If I have to do this then I might as well do the service myself. At least I would know it would be done. Well my service book wouldn't get stamped and the warranty would go out the window as well I suppose.👍

• Like 4

Harmless or otherwise, I told them very specifically NOT to overfill mine based on this advice. The particular point I'm referring to begins at 9:10 (he does wrap up by saying that the newer ones are less susceptible) :

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Car Care NUT.  Really, really really?

• Haha 2

Never trust a dealer or estate agent.
Always check the car after been in a garage for service or repair, any garage. 
Indeed many customers has no clue and the results are problems and unnecessary repairs in the future.  
Basically cars gets broken as a result of two major factors: lack of maintenance or improper maintenance.
The slightly overfilled engine oil will not cause any damage immediately.
Well overfilled oil in those particular engines can be burned out through pcv as these are located low behind the intake manifold. Overfilled by much can create a splash and oil starved the oil pump with all consequences that follow. This applies to transmission fluid too, and it’s even more sensitive than engine overfilled, remember you are better with slightly less oil in the transmission than slightly more. 👌
The car care nut it’s a golden man. I wish more mechanics are like him, sadly they are not. I can confirm all that he explained in his video regarding the engine oil it’s true, seen it in mine and other hybrids that I drive and I have been working on. 👍

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Never trust a dealer or estate agent.
Always check the car after been in a garage for service or repair, any garage. 
Indeed many customers has no clue and the results are problems and unnecessary repairs in the future.  
Basically cars gets broken as a result of two major factors: lack of maintenance or improper maintenance.
The slightly overfilled engine oil will not cause any damage immediately.
Well overfilled oil in those particular engines can be burned out through pcv as these are located low behind the intake manifold. Overfilled by much can create a splash and oil starved the oil pump with all consequences that follow. This applies to transmission fluid too, and it’s even more sensitive than engine overfilled, remember you are better with slightly less oil in the transmission than slightly more. 👌
The car care nut it’s a golden man. I wish more mechanics are like him, sadly they are not. I can confirm all that he explained in his video regarding the engine oil it’s true, seen it in mine and other hybrids that I drive and I have been working on. 👍

Hi Tony, I cannot agree that you cant trust estate agents, when we brought our house he told us that we get the sun first thing in the morning as it shines directly in to the main bedroom. He was absolutely right but so did the rain, what he failed to tell us was that the roof was missing.😅

On a more serious note can someone tell me if they have asked the dealer or service department why they overfill with oil in the first place. It would be interesting to know how many clued up people who have looked at the tick sheet on the work they have done or inspected have actually found they have in fact not done some of what they claim to have done and charged for and if they have taken it any further. Sad reflection that this happens.🤬

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Bper said:

Hi Tony, I cannot agree that you cant trust estate agents, when we brought our house he told us that we get the sun first thing in the morning as it shines directly in to the main bedroom. He was absolutely right but so did the rain, what he failed to tell us was that the roof was missing.😅

On a more serious note can someone tell me if they have asked the dealer or service department why they overfill with oil in the first place. It would be interesting to know how many clued up people who have looked at the tick sheet on the work they have done or inspected have actually found they have in fact not done some of what they claim to have done and charged for and if they have taken it any further. Sad reflection that this happens.🤬

Don’t remember exactly but been discussed previously and someone have said that it’s been the case that if a customer check later the oil level and see its between min and max and not at the max can make a complain afterwards. Perhaps reassuring it has been at the max. Tiny bit over not a problem, 5mm or more it is a problem and should be taken out. 

• Like 4

Hi all. 

I drove by the dealer today. And I had them check the oil. They assured me the overfilling was minor. And that it would never cause any harm. It was checked by 2 different mechanics. 

They showed me there oil equipment.  And assured me that was the amount they filled on all Toyota's with that engine. 

So I will leave it for now. And know that it has bin mentioned. And that the car has 10 more years of Toyota Relax warranty. 

Thanks for all your replys. 

• Like 4

I used to work for a bearing manufacturer and my understanding was that overfilling in any car can break the crankshaft, but I don’t know how much more oil is needed to do that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last dealer service left the oil overfilling, the sump plug loose and the filter housing vastly overtightened. I've had dealer over and underfill in the past. Tyre place damaged the underneath by jacking in the wrong place. Don't trust any member of the motor trade with anything, however simple 

• Like 3

I believe when over filled, the pressure in the sump builds up and that is what causes the problems, this can include damaged seals and as mentioned, above broken cranks (I don’t know how that happens though).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Saxmaniac said:

Last dealer service left the oil overfilling, the sump plug loose and the filter housing vastly overtightened. I've had dealer over and underfill in the past. Tyre place damaged the underneath by jacking in the wrong place. Don't trust any member of the motor trade with anything, however simple 

TBH , that sounds like one of the better ones.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Dylanfan said:

I believe when over filled, the pressure in the sump builds up and that is what causes the problems, this can include damaged seals and as mentioned, above broken cranks (I don’t know how that happens though).

If you have ever done a belly flop into a swimming pool, you will know how painful it can be, even though the velocity is fairly low when compared to a crankshaft rotating at say 5,000 rpm hitting the oil in the sump, I suggest that it’s probably like the crankshaft hitting a brick wall. Perhaps someone better at applied maths than me, can tell us the velocity of the outer most edge of a crankshaft?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links