Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Damper Yaris Hybrid

Myfanwy1uk

I am a big supporter of Toyota and have been for many years, However a recent experiance is rapidly lowering their support. I purchased a Yaris Hybrid for my grandson and he loves the car. Its a bout 20 months old at the moment. He experianced a system failure and various lights flashing while driving. The car then seemed to right itself but was taken to Marshalls Toyota in Newport South Wales to have it checked over. This was in early April this year. The diagnosed the fault as an engine damper and explained it would need changing. The latest ETA for the part is now late July thats four (4) months. There is never any feedback from the Toyota distributor so I wrote to Toyota UK and as of yet have had no response.

Obviously the damper does not require any electronic chips that I know of so why the delay, this kind of delay is what is expected of other lower quality brands. Has anyone else had this problem it seems on the internet that this situation is prevalent on the (3) three cylinder engines on the Yaris.

I still love Toyota and have ($) four in the family.  I am considering changing one of my cars in the near future and this will have an effect on my decision.

• Like 3

Hi, 

there is a large post regarding these issues with Yaris mk4 and been noted that there were a bad batches of clutch plates and if it happened Toyota are changing those under warranty. 

These days any part except service parts are in short supply not only electrical components. Is your car still drivable and will Toyota change it under warranty for yoU? 

• Like 3

4 months me thinks someone isn't on the ball, you need to speak to customer services, not just write an email

This is an owner's forum and has no affiliation with Toyota UK

All Mk4 Yaris are 1.5 3 cylinder in the UK - it was a new platform in 2020 and its taken a while to sort out the teething problems, add in the pandemic and there are a lot of backlogs

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I recently bought a used 2020 Yaris Excel hybrid from a main dealer with only 8000 miles on the clock. I've had it 3 months and on Friday suddenly lost power, had flashing lights as per other people on the forum. Luckily not on a busy road or could have been a very serious situation. Had the car recovered and I'm told the engine damper has failed and I need a new gearbox. They estimate 4 weeks for the parts and 5 days to do the work as the engine has to come out. I fully expect the parts to take longer than 4 weeks to be fair. I'm aware of 12 other Yaris hybrids being affected at this garage which leads me to to think this issue could be into the 100s across the UK. I'm refusing to have the car back and now in a dispute with the garage as they say I'm in deficit on my finance agreement. This defective damper was on a recall in Australia, so why not in the UK. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

i doubt it needs a gearbox, not sure why the engine has to come out either, It's still your car you still need to make the payments until the issue is resolved - you are within the first 6 months the onus is on the garage , you need everything in writing and then reject the car formally by a letter

is it a franchised Toyota dealer ? If so, log a complaint with Toyota customer services, also inform the finance company of the situation

Do not bury your head in the sand

if they have 12 at this 1 dealer there is something up - sounds like they are just throwing parts at it and the computer is telling them to do it, It needs a senior tech from HQ to look at the issue

• Like 7

Thanks for your reply. I work in finance and fully intend to keep my payments up until a resolution has been reached. I just wonder why the known fault has not involved a recall as it could lead to a very dangerous situation for someone who may be on the motorway at the time they lose power. Toyota are fully aware there is an issue, but seem to want to tackle it when it happens rather than fix it before it happens. I was told you could have a blow out on the motorway by a member of staff today, but Toyota have no control over that whereas they do with the defective damper issue. I'll continue my dispute in the correct manner, but have no intention of driving this particular car again. I've lost all faith in the car and would always be nervous it could happen again. That's just the way I feel 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

i doubt it needs a gearbox, not sure why the engine has to come out either, It's still your car you still need to make the payments until the issue is resolved - you are within the first 6 months the onus is on the garage , you need everything in writing and then reject the car formally by a letter

is it a franchised Toyota dealer ? If so, log a complaint with Toyota customer services, also inform the finance company of the situation

Do not bury your head in the sand

if they have 12 at this 1 dealer there is something up - sounds like they are just throwing parts at it and the computer is telling them to do it, It needs a senior tech from HQ to look at the issue

Sorry when I said in deficit with the finance, I meant they have offered me less money for the car compared to what I owe. As it stands they want £2000 off me to swap into a different car, which I don't think is fair. I just want to be allowed to switch to a different vehicle with no financial loss to myself.

• Like 5

On 7/11/2023 at 9:26 PM, flash22 said:

Toyota are aware of the issue and there is a TSB (22SMD-092)

https://car-recalls.eu/recall/toyota-yaris-hev-2020-fail-safe-driving-mode/

Just to clarify something, this recall is for something else; Related, but different.

The recall is because if the car senses the damper slipping, it shuts down completely - This shouldn't happen.

That TSB just changes the behaviour of the car, so even if the damper slips and the car senses it, the car should flag up a warning but remain driveable, like mine did when I had the dreaded Hybrid system Malfunction due to the damper slipping, but was still able to drive at speed.

There is definitely seems to be an issue with the damper not being torqued down enough in earlier ones, although I don't know how deliberate that is to protect the drivetrain from damage (Which is the whole point of it), but it does seem like they underestimated it slightly.

With the original post, the car behaved like it should, in the sense that it didn't shut down completely and mostly sorted itself out, but may require the updated part. The more recent post sounds like the car hadn't had the recall applied, or has actually broken the damper.

It hasn't occurred to mine again since the post I made, and given how I drive and that I've pushed it enough to have tyre squeal and traction control lights, I figure it would have by now if it was that easy to trigger :whistling1: :naughty: :laugh:

It's a bit of a mixed blessing with me, since I had that problem once, but since the dealer just reset the error they now won't pre-emptively repair it unless it happens again and I book it in with them. OTOH I don't really want them to keep my car for 4+ weeks, since presumably they wouldn't let me continue using the car in the meantime (It was painful enough going through that recently while I was waiting for the insurance repairer to give it a new rear-end!)

• Like 4

It's not a recall tho, IIRC It's something to do with the torque curve basically a band-aid fix on 2020 and early 2021 cars

some AU (jap built) did get a recall

https://toyota.pressroom.com.au/press_release_detail.asp?clientID=2&prID=45707&navSectionID=2

as you can see damper replacement is 8.5 hours so gearbox out job

there are some new TSB's including failing rear shocks

• Like 3

Yeah the damper replacement is a major undertaking, which is partly why I'm not expending more effort trying to get mine done.

The engine has to be separated from the PSD and electric motors and doing it by the book the Toyota authorized way will almost certainly require it to come out.

From the way the Mk4's engine looks packed in, they probably have to remove almost everything to get it out! :eek: 

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

We have a 2021 Design. Perfect for 18,000 miles just like our previous 7 Toyotas  (still got a Mk1 Yaris with 160,000 miles which has never missed a beat). 

This Design threw up a kaleidoscope of warnings & loss of power whilst accelerating. Went to dealer - amber warning (1st occurrence - 4th Jan) (s)he reset whatever and away we went. On the return from our trip I tried to re-create the problem by sharp acceleration and ‘voila’ it happened again (2nd occurrence 9th Jan.) 2024. Back to dealer, booked in (same group different branch). Dealer declared car ‘’not drivable’ on 11th Jan 2024

Problem: input shaft damper needs replacement. Part on back order until at least mid-February, then a big job it seems, engine out etc

Called dealer for update today (26th Jan. 2024). Person not available. Call-back promised: no call back. Dealer otherwise pretty good & loan car (not Toyota) provided. 

Out of curiosity I checked out the details of the 10 year warranty beyond the initial 3 year comprehensive cover (. Which in September) and cannot see the term ‘input shaft damper’ mentioned in the small print of parts covered - perhaps it’s included under an umbrella transmission cover & I missed it. Slightly worrying as the ‘terms & conditions’ state that: any parts not explicitly mentioned will not be covered  

• Sad 2

Bear in mind the Relax warranty is an extended warranty, and, like most extended warranties, doesn't provide the same level of cover as the new car warranty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nigel I guess it covered when it first reported reported & not when parts become available!.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, NBrown said:

We have a 2021 Design. Perfect for 18,000 miles just like our previous 7 Toyotas  (still got a Mk1 Yaris with 160,000 miles which has never missed a beat). 

This Design threw up a kaleidoscope of warnings & loss of power whilst accelerating. Went to dealer - amber warning (1st occurrence - 4th Jan) (s)he reset whatever and away we went. On the return from our trip I tried to re-create the problem by sharp acceleration and ‘voila’ it happened again (2nd occurrence 9th Jan.) 2024. Back to dealer, booked in (same group different branch). Dealer declared car ‘’not drivable’ on 11th Jan 2024

Problem: input shaft damper needs replacement. Part on back order until at least mid-February, then a big job it seems, engine out etc

Called dealer for update today (26th Jan. 2024). Person not available. Call-back promised: no call back. Dealer otherwise pretty good & loan car (not Toyota) provided. 

Out of curiosity I checked out the details of the 10 year warranty beyond the initial 3 year comprehensive cover (. Which in September) and cannot see the term ‘input shaft damper’ mentioned in the small print of parts covered - perhaps it’s included under an umbrella transmission cover & I missed it. Slightly worrying as the ‘terms & conditions’ state that: any parts not explicitly mentioned will not be covered  

Apparently the damper assembly is covered outside the normal warranty - I can't find the post off-hand, but the gist was if the error for it comes up, Toyota will honour its replacement under a special repair campaign that, currently, will be active for 10 years and will be applicable whether the car is serviced with them or not and whether it's under warranty or not.

They do stuff like this where major issues are found, which is one reason why I tend to stick with Toyota. In the past they had similar campaigns for e.g. engines that were consuming too much oil, and paint peeling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Appreciate it. Thanks for your reply. Useful to know. 

• 2 months later...

Sorry to hear this. Not that it helps but my 2021 Yaris Excel has today been diagnosed with the same problem (faulty engine damper). Issue was on accelerating when all the bells and whistles went off and every conceivable warning flashed up on the dashboard which eventually settled at " Malfunction in Hybrid System Go to Dealer". Inchcape Guildford tell me the issue with the parts means that my car will be off the road for some time. I am seeking a courtesy car but this, I am told, will have to be agreed by Toyota. Having already been frustrated with the failure of the 12v auxillary Battery on several occasions (not to mention the cost of buying a solar charger - which proved useless - and a jump starter) I am losing my faith in this car, which has only covered 9200 miles! I hope that Toyota/Inchcape will do all they can to resolve the issue and quickly!

• Like 1

I had that error, took it in the next day but there was no TSB at the time and they weren't really interested as I wasn't booked in and it was a saturday morning so they just reset all the errors and sent me on my way; I've been driving it without issue since.

Ironically they won't fit the new damper now as I can't get the error to appear again :laugh: 

I'd get them to reset it so you have use of the car and see how you get on, as the backlog for waiting for the replacement part is extreme; One forum member has been waiting months :sad:

I don't think the fault is dangerous - It's just the system panicking because it sensed the damper slipping when it shouldn't, presumably someone at the french factory didn't tighten up the clamp bolts properly, and going into freakout safe mode.

I have posted before about this issue on a few occasions. My 2021 Yaris Excel went  off the road with exactly the same damper issue on 8th January 2024 with 12485 miles recorded. The vehicle was registered in May 2021 thus having a 5 years warranty.

The dealership In Tamworth have been supportive and I have been provided with a courtesy car via Enterprise cars of a much lower spec.

At last the part has been delivered but a resin is apparently needed to complete the job. Should be delivered tomorrow ( 12th April).

I e mailed Toyota UK on Monday asking if there would be a possibility of a Goodwill Gesture from Toyota as I am now entering month 4 of being without my vehicle which is still on finance until June.

Toyota delegated the response to Toyota Tamworth and I was contacted by the service manager today. For some reason he did not have a copy of my e mail. He suggested that Toyota Finance may be receptive to a request for such a gesture if I contacted them as I was without the convenience of my own vehicle for the last 3 months.

Has any other Toyota owner in similar circumstances gone down this avenue?

• Like 1

Thanks Tony, whilst I hope I do not have to wait so long I will certainly follow your lead if I do! This is only Day2 and I have yet to hear whether a courtesy car is to be provided. Like you I am paying for a car I no longer have the use of with all the inconvenience and anxiety this entails. Happy days!!

Christopher. Undoubtedly you will be provided with a hire car but probably not a courtesy car. The contract will be between the hire company ( Enterprise in my case)and Toyota and not you.  You will be e mailed a copy.The insurance will not be your responsibility either. I payed an excess to Enterprise of £70 which gave unlimited cover against damage regardless of fault. Good value over last 12 weeks.Without that the excess was £300 regardless of fault. IF your vehicle is off the road as long as mine be sure to get all the updates re software and a Battery check.

The new damper will have a lifetime guarantee.The problem I had  was the repeated promises of the order being delivered being “ pushed back” on at least 3 occasions. The dealer could not even tell me where the deliveries were coming from!

Bizarrely during this time Toyota were offering to buy my car in exchange for a new Yaris!

Best of luck.

This could be our story almost exactly Tony, except we didn’t get the option of paying an excess to Enterprise. Essentially we carried on with our own insurance ie first £350. 

Thanks for this info Tony and Nigel. Interesting your comment Nigel because I have been thinking about trading the Yaris in - but not for another Yaris! Nothing from the dealer today so I will give them a polite prod tomorrow.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links