Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross Hybrid fuel gauge

Courage

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this was already asked, but I looked around and couldn't find an answer to this.

Got a brand new Yaris Cross Hybrid a couple of weeks ago, didn't get to drive it around much, just to work and back mostly, so I only got like 130km on it at the moment. The thing is, I filled up the tank the day I got it, and in the 130km I drove so far, the gauge still shows as full, in the app it also shows as 100% on the main page.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I'd expect at least 1 line to go down after 100+ km.

Anyone had this "problem" before?

Thanks!

Sounds plausible. If you have been particularly light with your right foot, it is quite capable of between 65-75 mpg and since you have only driven approx 80 miles (sorry but my brain doesn't think in kms), you have likely driven mostly on EV power only and hence only used a couple of litres of fuel and I wouldn't expect the fuel gauge to show that small drop. 

• Like 3

Yeap, very efficient cars indeed. Probably it will be just about to drop a line very soon. My car slightly less efficient in summer time drops the first line at around 60-70miles of travel, winter time it’s faster though. 

• Like 3

If it's any related to the tech in my Aygo X, it doesnt really feel linear. It hangs on to the "full bars" much longer than for it takes for the next bars to drop.

It's probaby very close to losing that one notch, after which the app also feels more accurate

• Like 3

I think which test drove one and got 102mpg , or thereabouts ..

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers everyone!

Was actually thinking I may have a problem with a sensor or something, but I'm glad to hear that it's pretty much what everyone's seeing. I'll keep an eye out in the next 10 miles or so 😄

Thanks again!

My Corolla is similar.  Fill to the first click-off and I can drive 80 miles (128Km) before the gauge starts to show any movement.

• Like 1

My Yaris Cross is the same. I fill it up to the first click and then add a bit more up to the next Euro and the gauge shows no movement until I have done at least 100kms, (60+ miles).

Not with a Hybrid, but a 1.33l Yaris. When the tank is filled, the gauge hangs at full for ages. Once it starts to register the needle drops quite rapidly!

Probably, as has already been written above, your car will be using much less litre/km than a non Hybrid and more Battery powered/motor traction. Or one would expect it to. As a result the needle will probably remain showing full for longer than a non Hybrid.

I would be more concerned if it did actually stay at full.:rolleyes:

16 hours ago, dannyboy413 said:

My Yaris Cross is the same. I fill it up to the first click and then add a bit more up to the next Euro and the gauge shows no movement until I have done at least 100kms, (60+ miles).

Not sure it's a good idea adding more fuel after the the first click Drivers warned to stop filling their fuel tanks after hearing the first click - North Wales Live (dailypost.co.uk)

1 hour ago, Tommy X said:

Not sure it's a good idea adding more fuel after the the first click

Yes, I filled a tank and then parked the car in the sun. Petrol expands! Neighbour came and warned me petrol was trickling out of the car.

On 6/21/2023 at 11:51 AM, Courage said:

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this was already asked, but I looked around and couldn't find an answer to this.

Got a brand new Yaris Cross Hybrid a couple of weeks ago, didn't get to drive it around much, just to work and back mostly, so I only got like 130km on it at the moment. The thing is, I filled up the tank the day I got it, and in the 130km I drove so far, the gauge still shows as full, in the app it also shows as 100% on the main page.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I'd expect at least 1 line to go down after 100+ km.

Anyone had this "problem" before?

Thanks!

Hahaha don't think like other says it is very efficient car and bla bla..it is but also fuel gauge is not accurate, it will fall down rapidly at some point don't worry 

I don’t see really a worrying fact that your fuel gauge works that way and I can assure you that all cars are exactly like that, petrol, diesel, hybrids, all of them. Some may be slightly different than others but they all work in similar way. Very typical car behaviour. 

For the fuel tank full and weather sunshine and temperature it is very unlikely to have a fuel leak as a result of tank been full and car been parked under strong sun. I had been working under the car in very hot weather and I can tell you that the tank and the fuel never reaches the outside air temperature but it is always cooler., at least 5 - 10C° or more less than what is outside. You can take an infrared thermometer and play with your car and you will see for yourself. 
The tank is located under the car and in 99% of the cases there is no direct sunlight that can reach it. Then we have an air stream constantly cooling the tank bottom and the fuel inside even when the car is stationary. If anyone has a fuel leak after filling up full it’s as a result of something else, almost certainly. 👍

• Like 2

It seems to be a Toyotaism - The fuel-gauge tends to drop slower at the top and faster towards the bottom.

All of mine often got 100-ish miles before the first 'block' went.

Apparently it's partly down to a "V-shaped tank".

My Mk2 was particularly bad - It'd drop by 2 blocks (Indicating quarter tank used), but that was half the tank! :laugh:  When it was at 4-blocks (Indicating half a tank used), that was actually a quarter tank left! :eek: 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 11:39 AM, TonyHSD said:

Yeap, very efficient cars indeed. Probably it will be just about to drop a line very soon. My car slightly less efficient in summer time drops the first line at around 60-70miles of travel, winter time it’s faster though. 

Don't you mean more efficient?

My trip to the south cost and back 200 miles each way returns about 73 mpg.  In winter the consumption increases toward 57 mpg.

At normal temperatures and consumption my gauge drops by a quarter every 100 miles. 

Yesterday, range to reserve was 19 miles.  I filled to first click, 28 ltrs.  Given a 36 ltr tank that gives a reserve of around 8 lts.  That gives a comfortable range on reserve of 100 miles. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Don't you mean more efficient?

My trip to the south cost and back 200 miles each way returns about 73 mpg.  In winter the consumption increases toward 57 mpg.

At normal temperatures and consumption my gauge drops by a quarter every 100 miles. 

Yesterday, range to reserve was 19 miles.  I filled to first click, 28 ltrs.  Given a 36 ltr tank that gives a reserve of around 8 lts.  That gives a comfortable range on reserve of 100 miles. 

I meant to say my car is slightly less efficient than yours ( Auris vs Yaris X). Of course in summer time alll cars are doing much better. I drive yesterday 40miles and showed 63mpg 👍

• Like 2

Tyres make a huge difference. 

Trips that used to take 3,7l/100km on my Aygo X with previous summer tyres (Michelin Primacy) now take 5,2l/100km with Falken summer tyres.

Altho no doubt there are differences with Auris and Yaris Cross too, but that difference the Falkens made is absolutely bonkers. If it wasnt for the lease ending in a month I'd rip those falkens off the rims and get something proper there again. Absolutely terrible tyres fuel economy and road noise wise (I suppose good grip tho, those things are probably caused by added friction)

• Like 1

Wow, that's a big difference!! I didn't think tyres would have such a big effect, usually it's maybe low 10's of percent...!

• Like 1

It really is. If the car I testdrove before ordering had those Falkens on, I definitely would have not leased/bought the car. When I return the car next month Im gonna tell the dealer that if you want to actually sell this car, you need to switch out the tyres. They have an Aygo X as a garage car if you need a replacement while yours gets fixed, in a car like that it probably doesnt matter how **** the car is. But those Falkens absolutely ruined the rest of my otherwise positive experience with the Aygo X. But again, with just a few months left I wont bother doing anything about it.

• Like 1

There are two sides to a coin. I had a set of Falkens, 175 65 R15 84H (Sincera SN110) fitted after a MoT advisory for the fitted, not that old Dunlops, were really seriously dry rotted.

I have found the Falkens to be a far more comfortable ride, quieter and absolutely no difference whatsoever in fuel economy. Correctly inflated of course.

Mine could be a posher version though.:ph34r::rolleyes:

as a small update here: finally saw the gauge drop after around 105 miles. I'm actually really curious now to see how much I'm gonna get out of a full tank of gas.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Courage said:

as a small update here: finally saw the gauge drop after around 105 miles. I'm actually really curious now to see how much I'm gonna get out of a full tank of gas.

Looks to me like you're going to get a nice surprise when you do!

(I'm regularly averaging 60+mpg out of my Mk4 Yaris now without really trying...)

• Like 2

The fuel gauge on my Gen. 3 drops after 80-100 miles, and really only shows 5-6 gallons of the 7.5 gallon capacity. The last larger block at the bottom is 1 gallon, and then she has about 1 gal. remaining when the low fuel light illuminates (depends if I've been heavy-footed or not).

(1 imperial gallon = 4.545 L).

• Like 1

Mine sticks at the top for over 80 miles from full. The reported miles remaining does go down.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So if the YC shows range of 420 miles when filled up to first click, how many miles have you really got? 🤫

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links