Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

St183c 20li To Gt4 Conversion

lee123

i have a st183c 20l 4ws import can i put a gt4 turbo engine in and keep the 2wd its an auto and i wish to keep it that way,

if so what parts would i need?

for this Conversion!!!

thanks bud's

lee :thumbsup:

3S-GTE yes auto box dont think so unless you can find an MR" turbo with auto transmision (not sure they ever made one).

for the conversion you would be looking at 3S-GTE engine, loom and ECU (pref from celica for ease of fitment) MR2 turbo transmision (plus celica manual pedal box gear lever clutch master cylinder etc if you end up converting to manual)

may be other ancilliarys depending what can be used from your car

thanks bud

so you say the auto box i have in the car now will not fit the 3S-GTE engine.

do any one know why?

also will i need new engine mountings,

lee

I doubt the auto box was designed to handle the power that the GTE engine puts out. Physically there is no reason the auto box shouldn't fit, after all they both use the 3S block, its just a case of how long it would run till something broke. The GT4 may have uprated engine mounts so it would be a good idea to fit GT4 mounts. You would be well advised to fit the front brakes off the GT4 too. Its all very well going faster but you need to stop too. The other thing about the auto box is that its unlikely that any of them came with a limited slip differential, which would be essential when you're trying to put 240+ bhp down through the front wheels.

plus i think the flywheel mounting for the torque converter wont fit.

yes the gt4 mounts would be useful.

plus the manual box would be a lot better i think an auto FWD car with 200+ hp would spend most of its time going up and down the gears trying to cope with wheel spin

o dear cant do that then,

can i then just fit a gt4 turbo on my engine?

thanks for that buds

can i then just fit a gt4 turbo on my engine?

No fraid not. Its a little more complicated than just getting hold of a turbo and bolting it on. The ECU couldn't cope with the fuelling differences and turbo engines run with a lower compression ratio (they have different pistons on these engines). You could shop around probably and find some place that does aftermarket turbo conversions but its highly unlikely you'll get anywhere near the power of a standard GTE engine. You might also be able to find the auto box from some other Toyota that will handle the power so that you could fit a GTE engine and keep it auto. A little research is called for. The thing to bear in mind though that any conversion of this type will without doubt cost more than your car is worth, and that no matter how much you spend on the car you will never get anywhere near that much back if you later sell up.

thanks m8

research done

i will keep it as it is

lee

ps great help thanks to all :thumbsup:

have you considered buying a gen 4 st165 gt4 as a hobby car.??

with auto!!!!! as only have 1 good leg!!!!

You could try a camry V6 auto...

the v6 manual fits the 3SGTE engine.

I think the normal celica FWD auro box has the starter motor in the wrong place...

the camry 2.2 is basicly a stoked 32gte unit hence why boxes are interchangeable...

no idea on ration though...

a supercharger kit might be a easier option....

thanks i will have to look into that

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

another option is getting a later spec variable valve timming head, ecu etc...

they can give over 200bhp......

or convert your existing engine to throttle bodies..

try chatting to fensport....

they are a wealth of info on what does and does not work...

www.fensport.co.uk

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links