Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery guaratee quesion

Jikky

Hi all,I have an iq3  (stop start)and had a new genuine toyota Battery fitted 20/11/2020,Im now 240 miles from home and its totally failed before the end of the 3 year guarantee,l called l the local toyota dealer , reguarding a query for replacement and was told to call the dealer I purchased it from,I did and was told  the guarantee was void because of low mileage (2,500) miles,I was never given any terms and conditions when I purchased the Battery,and it was no fault of mine that there was a pandemic, I also had an intermediate service 2 weeks ago and I wonder ,did they check the Battery as listed on the invoice?

Any advice with this would be most greatfull as Ive ordered a new battery (£163),from the local area Toyota dealer but havnt paid for it yet!

Many thanks.

Maybe complain in writing, or ask where it states about low milage?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, PCM said:

Maybe complain in writing, or ask where it states about low milage?

Many thanks Piers,the Battery ended up costing £170!,I have arrived home now so I will be doing exactly what you suggested.

• Like 1

Hi John,

I think you may have a problem trying to claim, this link to the ombudsman shows a similar story. It may have been a while ago but if the terms and conditions under the Battery guarantee are not met they will dismiss any claim. Hope this helps.👍

https://www.themotorombudsman.org/case-studies/low-mileage-battery-claim

On 7/1/2023 at 3:47 PM, Bper said:

Hi John,

I think you may have a problem trying to claim, this link to the ombudsman shows a similar story. It may have been a while ago but if the terms and conditions under the battery guarantee are not met they will dismiss any claim. Hope this helps.👍

https://www.themotorombudsman.org/case-studies/low-mileage-battery-claim

Many thanks Bob,but my argument with them is that the guarantee is still active till 20/11/2023,so I could still make up the milage they say I need(4,500)within this timeframe.

Hi John, does the Battery guarantee terms and conditions state a per year milage that must be met. I understand your frustration as it is unfair but you can bet your life if it wasn't the milage issue it may have been dismissed under poor maintainace.

So many opinions on low milage issues and Battery failure and this one seems to be a very common one.👍

2 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi John, does the battery guarantee terms and conditions state a per year milage that must be met. I understand your frustration as it is unfair but you can bet your life if it wasn't the milage issue it may have been dismissed under poor maintainace.

So many opinions on low milage issues and battery failure and this one seems to be a very common one.👍

Hi Bob I was never given any terms and conditions for the Battery, just a receipt,also the car was serviced by toyota only 2 weeks ago I have the visual safety report which says the Battery was fine,I will be writing to toyota tommorow.I will update as soon as I receive a reply.

Many thanks again.

On 6/24/2023 at 11:11 PM, Jikky said:

Hi all,I have an iq3  (stop start)and had a new genuine toyota battery fitted 20/11/2020,Im now 240 miles from home and its totally failed before the end of the 3 year guarantee

Your contract will be with the dealer you purchased the Battery from.

Having bought the Battery in November 2020, you would only have been greatly affected by the 3rd Covid lockdown which took effect from January 2021. Despite this 2,500 miles in around 2 years  7 to 8 months is still quite a low mileage, and the Battery, like loads of others, could have been adversely affected by this level of usage.

What you haven't said is whether you had problems with the battery between when it was purchased in November 2020 and when it ultimately failed in June 2023.

So on first impression, we may not have the full story ......

I dont think you stand no chance with annual malage below 5000 miles a year.

Another way they get out that I read about is saying the Battery voltage dropped below 11.7 volts ie the point that it wont start like caling on the AA to start your car.

On 7/2/2023 at 10:24 PM, Derek.w said:

I dont think you stand no chance with annual malage below 5000 miles a year.

Another way they get out that I read about is saying the battery voltage dropped below 11.7 volts ie the point that it wont start like caling on the AA to start your car.

!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Your contract will be with the dealer you purchased the battery from.

Having bought the battery in November 2020, you would only have been greatly affected by the 3rd Covid lockdown which took effect from January 2021. Despite this 2,500 miles in around 2 years  7 to 8 months is still quite a low mileage, and the battery, like loads of others, could have been adversely affected by this level of usage.

What you haven't said is whether you had problems with the battery between when it was purchased in November 2020 and when it ultimately failed in June 2023.

So on first impression, we may not have the full story ......

Hi Bob,the Battery has been fine and always started the car on the button,I disconnected it during lockdowns,I drove 240 miles to my parents ,left the car outside,I went to start it next morning and I got the low Battery clicking.I have a family member half a mile away with an independent garage,he tested the Battery and it was dead and wouldnt take a charge,he tested the alternator and that was fine,he sells batterys and said hes never heard of milage and guarentees with batterys!!

• Like 1

With regards to batterys, a low milage only indicates lack of use. 

When you disconnected the Battery I presume you did not hook it up to some type of charger.

All batterys wont take a charge if voltage falls to a very low level it varies from one type of charger to another depending on how smart the charger is and its list of functions.

Or put it another way use of what called desulphation program but thats no guarantee the Battery will  recover.

Hi Derek many thanks for the reply,I should have put in my earlier reply,yes the Battery was hooked to trickle charger(Noco genius)which I purchased during lockdown 1, all the time it was disconnected from the car.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links