Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wiring accessory - ignition feed (2018 Mk3 Hybrid)

MikeSh

I've had some front parking sensors fitted but the main feed seems to have been taken from an 'always live' rather than ignition or aux as I'd have expected.

I'll probably try and change it myself but I'd like to know where there is a convenient, suitable wire I can tap for this in the area behind the binnacle/around the steering column. (The control module, etc, for the sensors are all located here.)

I expect the answer is already in the forum but I can't find anything with search engines, so just point me there if it has.

Try tapping into a cigarette lighter feed. Those are usually on the Aux circuit, if you aren't in a Vauxhall.😉

2 hours ago, paul9 said:

Try tapping into a cigarette lighter feed. Those are usually on the Aux circuit, if you aren't in a Vauxhall.😉

That's a thought. Not sure how easy it would be to get access as it's not in the same area as the current kit, but I'll have a look at it.

I need to get the instrument cluster out to access the modules (to change the volume would you believe) so a feed in there somewhere would be ideal.

Piggy back the fuse for the accessory socket , on the corolla it’s under the passenger side dashboard up behind the glovebox you have to drop down the cover which is held on with clips at the front and is slotted in at the back , not sure if the Yaris is the same I would imagine it is.

I assume the sensors are operating when the ignition circuit is off is that why you want to wire them into the ignition circuit?. If they are not doing this why worry.

The Toyota aftermarket ones come with a cancellation switch.

SW live pull it off the back of the radio, it's not that more work as you are pulling the cluster

Radio2.thumb.jpg.5458ca8db9b640325e704edcaca9f79a.jpg

8 hours ago, flash22 said:

SW live pull it off the back of the radio, it's not that more work as you are pulling the cluster

OK, thanks. That is probably easier than the cig lighter which I looked at today.

8 hours ago, Rosgoe said:

I assume the sensors are operating when the ignition circuit is off is that why you want to wire them into the ignition circuit?. If they are not doing this why worry.

It's a bit more complicated. There is a (override) switch which feeds a canbus module which controls the sensor module. The switch has an led which is what alerted me to the supply to the canbus being on all the time, unless I turn the switch off. Though the module plus led may not draw much I am still concerned about parasitic drain as the car often sits unused for days at a time and occasionally weeks. And having a light on when all should be off is just annoying.

Yes, I could turn the switch off but then my other half (or me actually) might drive it into something having forgotten to turn it back on. I'd like it fairly foolproof.

On 7/5/2023 at 10:30 AM, flash22 said:

Radio2.thumb.jpg.5458ca8db9b640325e704edcaca9f79a.jpg

Unfortunately the back of mine has lots of connectors.

PXL_20230706_125758508.thumb.jpg.54be6084ef30c8fa6b62d8f6cca66138.jpg

I picked a likely looking grey to test (the one with white tape) but it didn't seem to go live with ign.

Can you give more info?

The 6 and 10 pin are right middle next to each other, you can't get it wrong

the grey cable with the white tape is the reverse camera

Ignore the colour code go by the pin number/location

I will post colour in a while when I'm near the desktop

• Like 1

IG -  LG (Light Green)

GND - BR (Brown)

both on the 10 pin

49 minutes ago, flash22 said:

IG -  LG (Light Green)

GND - BR (Brown)

both on the 10 pin

OK. Thanks. I'll get on it in the morning.

Got something that switches with ignition though it looked grey to me. But this was using led lights so it could actually be light green.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links