Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Need to re-program key fob after replacing battery?

itm

I was getting "low battery" warnings for my Auris Hybrid (2016) key fob, so I replaced the Battery. Now it won't unlock the car door. Is there a re-programming process that I need to follow?

Read through this thread, it has better tutorials and video further through. It may help you.

Thanks for the link. That thread refers to keys which are physically inserted into the ignition. My starter is a pushbutton - i.e. no key entry

????

20 minutes ago, itm said:

Thanks for the link. That thread refers to keys which are physically inserted into the ignition. My starter is a pushbutton - i.e. no key entry

????

You can push the button with the key fob or keep in very close proximity next to the start button. Try this way it might work for you. I am not aware keys need program after Battery replacement. 
Good luck 

On hybrids sometimes you do need to touch or keep the key next to the start button. There is no time limit imo, I kept my spare fob without any Battery for 3 years and then I put a new one and from distance locks and unlocks the car. Perhaps shouldn’t try to start one day and see if it’s gonna start straight away or I need to tap on the start button. 

Starting the car isn't the problem - unlocking it is the issue. The car is not recognising the key fob wirelessly when I slide my hand behind the door handle to unlock it.

There was only a delay of 1-2 minutes between removing the old Battery and inserting the new one.

58 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Is there a time limit after battery removal?

There is no time limit and no need to re-programme anything.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stivino said:

There is no time limit and no need to re-programme anything.

So...any idea why it's no longer able to unlock the door wirelessly after the change of Battery?

Without seeing it, I would say it's one of the following things, you put a dud Battery in, you put the Battery in the wrong way, you put the wrong Battery in, you forgot to take the plastic off the battery.

Just now, Stivino said:

Without seeing it, I would say it's one of the following things, you put a dud battery in, you put the battery in the wrong way, you put the wrong battery in, you forgot to take the plastic off the battery.

The red LED flashes when I press the button, so the Battery can't be a complete dud

Have you checked the voltage of the new Battery with a digital voltmeter?  Although rated for 3 volts, the cells seem to stop working properly at around 3.05V.  A new cell is usually around 3.35 - 3.40 V.

I've found this from many devices (not just cars) that use these cells.  Perhaps you knew...

FWIW, we have basically the same car, just older, but never experienced this problem (yet).

Hmmm...very strange...I just went out and tried it again (I'd been using another fob in the meantime), and now it works fine

???

We've had a few people with similar problems now and then - It seems to be some sort of sync issue but you're the first person I know of who it just fixed itself with :laugh: 

Others don't report back or had to get the dealer to sort it out, so you're fortunate!

• Like 2

We also can disable the smart key feature and put the key close to the start button to start the car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links