Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Scuttle leaking rain water onto gearbox

74hct04

Hi,

I am wondering if I am the only one to have this problem...

In the recent heavy, almost non-stop rain, with my iQ parked up (on level gound), the engine bay was dry apart from a deep puddle on top of the gearbox, sitting in the 'ribs' of the casting, just beneath the gear shift cables. With a mirror, I could seet that there's a thin foam gasket betweeen the panels forming the scuttle that I could feel was saturated with water, wet on the metal around it, and presumably dripping down onto the gearbox. I think it's 55737B here http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2013/iq/kgj10r-bgmrgw/2_102510_005_432W/body/5503_cowl-panel-windshield-glass#55737B

I am still familiarising myself with this car but it appears that there are little rubber 'letterbox' flaps at the ends of the scuttle - I can push the nearside one backwards into the scuttle and open with my fingers but something is preventing the offside one being pushed backwards this way.

The plastic scuttle 'gutter' drains (things beneath the bonnet hinge 'arms') seemed to be fairly clear on-route to the wings, although I've now removed a little mud which was backed up in the corners, and from what I remember when pouring a bucket of water over the windscreen (I've got a siliconed bung in the roof where a front antenna was apparently once fitted), the drains at the bottom of the wings were both working. (I've since stuck the end of a cable tie up from below to confirm they are not totally blocked).

The offside (driver's side) wiper spindle grommet has a small split but is not totally destroyed yet... I should order a pair anyway. I can't imagine that would let in this much water!

Any idea where my leak is likely to be coming from. Is it just the foam gasket? My main concern is for the shift cables and what I think may be the gearbox oil filler plug getting a soaking.

There are also seals that go around the bottom of the windscreen wipers as well...mine were rotted through.....

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Comfy. I've ordered a pair from the local Toyota franchise although I struggle to believe that all the water is coming in this way. The gearbox seems quite far away from the wiper linkage, too...

• Like 1

Yeah - tbh i didnt think it would come through there but while i was doing stuff i noticed the windscreen wiper seals had gone on mine...cant hurt them to do them though...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. I'm hoping they will at least make the wiper linkeages/bearings last longer!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links