Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina E - ULEZ - Anyone have the Certificate of Conformity?

Carina Chris

I have a Toyota Carina E GS 5 Door 1.8 1997 and it does not comply with the London ULEZ according to TFL. I may now have to scrap it. However, does anyone have the Certificate of Conformity that the vehicle would have had from Toyota showing the emissions for this vehicle. I am specifically interested in the Nox emission because if it is less than Nox <0.08g/km I can apply for an exemption. 

I look forward to a quick reply as the ULEZ is being introduced in outer London in the next couple of weeks. 

Model: Toyota Carina E GS 5 Door 1.8
First Registration: 04/03/1997
VIN: SB164ABK10E067889
Engine: 7AU302698
Engine Type: 7A-FE petrol

Pretty sure certificates of conformity weren't issued by manufacturers back in the 90's.

Your car will almost certainly be Euro ll which didn't include any limits for NOx, so unlikely it would comply even if you could obtain an official figure. The subsequent Euro lll introduced a limit on NOx for the first time, set at 0.15 so almost double the limit for ULEZ compliance.

If its in good condition perhaps consider selling it on eBay or similar rather than scrapping it? Plenty of areas of the UK have no plans for ULEZ schemes, and some of those which have do not include privately owned vehicles in it.

Thanks guys, it looks like you are both correct. I received the email below yesterday from Toyota GB...

I guess I could sell it on eBay or elsewhere but I very much doubt I'll get £2000 or more for it unlike Sadiq Khan's offer for scrapping it 😡😡

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, due to the age of your vehicle there is no NOx emssions data alone as it was tested along with the CO emissions at that time. Vehicles were not tested at that time, how they are tested today. This emission data regarding NOx is not available, there is also no way to obtain this information. 

I can confirm the emission of the vehicle on the CoC document is CO 0.23g/km and the HC+NOx is 0.38g/km.

We would be unable to advise on what TFL would accept however if you would like to check the emissions are accepted before proceeding with the Certificate of Conformity which you would need to apply for proof of these emissions as they can only be provided in this legal document. We would also be unable to advise on other vehicles.

If you would like to apply for a CoC document please see below. 

So that we can process your Certificate of Conformity request, please can you provide the following information:

• Completed application form (attached)
  • A copy of your vehicles registration document/or purchase invoice if purchased through a Toyota Centre or very recently through a 3rd party.

Please ensure the first 3 pages, which includes the front page of your V5 are sent into to us. 

Please note, we can only provide Certificates of Conformity for vehicles that have been registered in the UK and we cannot provide these documents in any format via email.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Emily Fidgett                                                                                                                                               

Certificate Of Conformity Coordinator
Customer Support
Toyota (GB) PLC

NEW PDF version - Certificate of Conformity Application Form (2).pdf

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

This shows the real world effect this policy has, I suspect if it wasn't for the ULEZ you would probably of kept the car for a lot longer.

Are you going to take up the scrappage scheme offer and no doubt this is an expense and hassle you could have well done without.👍

• Like 1

Hi Bob,

Yes, I would definitely keep the car much longer if it weren't for ULEZ. 

I've owned her since 1999 and it's only done 73,870 miles from new. Runs like a dream but I've had it SORN for just over a year and the MOT has expired. I don't drive much in London as I have the 60+ Oyster card. But I'm considering to live outside London in which case I would definitely keep her. However, other cities are doing the same thing. To claim the £2000 scrappage I have to tax, MOT and insure her according to the scheme requirements.

• Road tax is £325 (which can be partially refunded).
  • MOT £55 (if it passes which it should do but the catalytic converter seems to struggle every year to pass emissions. It just manages though!).
  • Insurance £280 roughly (which can be cancelled within 14 days I think).  

So I have to Shell out £660 of which around £580 I could claim back from road tax and insurance to get the £2K scrappage. So I need to give it some serious thought and complete everything by 29 August otherwise I've got to add £12.50 to the above!!

What is a Carina E worth nowadays outside London? Probably not much.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It'd be worth more to an enthusiast, but general worth won't be a great deal as you say :sad: 

If you had a way of storing it until e.g. 2030 it'd probably be worth a load of money then, when everyone's panicking about the end of ICE car production, but not right now.

7 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Chris,

This shows the real world effect this policy has, I suspect if it wasn't for the ULEZ you would probably of kept the car for a lot longer.

Yup - I think all this has actually increased emissions significantly in the short term, putting the world even further behind its emissions targets; People prematurely scrapping cars that had good life in them, increased production of new cars, building new factories to build more cars and car components - The people pushing all this stuff are oddly silent on the emissions all that generates while they use emissions as an excuse to try and drag more money out of us for their duck houses and parties...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only other thing to consider is the Mayoral election in May 2024. The Conservative Candidate Susan Hall has pledged to cancel the planned ULEZ expansion if voted into office next May. The existing inner London ULEZ zone would remain in place.

If this happens I can bide my time. However there'll be uproar from those that already disposed of there non-complaint vehicles 🤬

• Like 1

If it makes money, they will not get rid of a cash cow - It's going to be a while before the car becomes classic status - no MOT or tax its scrap value tbh what is £100 on a good day

Do you still have the Carina? I am interested and will be happy to add it to my collection. Sounds too good to scrap! Cheers

Well thanks for your offer, appreciated.

I've been looking at the numbers and the ULEZ scrappage offer is £2000 and the TFL company approved to collect the vehicle is offering an additional £300. Therefore in pure numbers its value is £2300. I can use this towards a compliant car or sit on the money and earn a little interest for what it's worth.

I'm sure that wouldn't work for you!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2023 at 3:55 PM, Carina Chris said:

Well thanks for your offer, appreciated.

I've been looking at the numbers and the ULEZ scrappage offer is £2000 and the TFL company approved to collect the vehicle is offering an additional £300. Therefore in pure numbers its value is £2300. I can use this towards a compliant car or sit on the money and earn a little interest for what it's worth.

I'm sure that wouldn't work for you!!

This is the major environmental flaw with ULEZ.  We should incentivising folk to KEEP THEIR OLD CARS on the road! Definitely NOT the other way round. Buying any new vehicle (electric, ULEZ compliant or not) is far damaging to the planet than just keeping your old car on the road.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links