Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

So, what model of IQ should I get?

Dannysaysnoo

My street's absolutely chock-ablock with massive SUVs and whatnot, so I need a small car. It's just me I'm shipping around, so small as possible is the best bet.

But I don't much care for the Smart car as much as I do the IQ, Toyota just seems like a safer brand to bet on.

But which model is best? I've really wanted to get the 3, the 1.3l engine seems like it'd be a bit peppier? Is there any traps with it? Or can I just stick with the lower models?

• Like 1

If that's the 1.33L 1NR-FE engine, be aware there is a known issue of earlier ones (Maybe around 2009-2012ish?) consuming loads of oil due to them using weak piston rings to try and improve fuel economy.

The 1.33 is a very peaky engine, and is relatively gutless down low, developing most of its power higher up the rev range, so the 1.0L engine doesn't feel as far off at lower speeds as it has a slightly more balanced power/torque curve.

Unless you'll be hitting fast roads often, I think the 1.0 is the safer bet, as that 1 litre engine has a good reputation for robustness, certainly more than the 1.33!

The IQ is a really nice car tho' - I've always said it feels like being an Avensis as long as you don't look backwards :laugh: 

• Like 2

Hi Daniel.

We own an IQ2 and IQ3 in our household.

I have to agree with Cyker's comments above.

However, I would say that both cars both are competent on longer trips. Both are quiet and comfortable. Obviously the smaller  997cc engine struggles a bit  on steeper hills - but not too bad for a small engine. 

But if needing a car for just around town, the smaller engine is great - especially the with free road tax (for manual transmission models anyway). The IQ3 is only £30 to tax anyway.

The 1.3 uses 16 inch tyres which lessens the tyre choice available, and bumps up the price considerably on a like for like tyre.

I would say the difference on fuel MPG on AVERAGE is about 6 mpg in favour of the smaller engine - so not a great amount.

If it makes a difference, IQ3's built after May 2012 lost the original "stop / start" facility - although a switch on earlier models could disable the function (on a trip by trip basis). I personally did NOT want stop /start anyway so this was a bonus for me on my later IQ3.

The reliability of our IQ 2 over the last 10 years we have owned it has been absolutely impeccable - the IQ3 had a gearbox issue which was resolved under the extended warranty. 

The basic IQ1 does not have the folding mirrors or keyless ignition fitted. I personally find the folding mirrors a big advantage when parking the cars in my garage ( the mirrors are quite large for the size of the car !). 

I find the gearbox is a little less "clunky" on the IQ2. Don't get me wrong, the IQ3 isn't bad, but the 5 speed IQ2 just seems a smoother gear change. Hope this helps.

Enjoy your IQ whichever model you go for !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Daniel,

I would suggest avoiding the pearl white colour as many cars (and other Toyota models with this paint) appear to have paint adhesion issues, leading to the paint coming off in patches, often many years after the car was produced.

I've read that the 6-speed manual fitted to some (all?) of the 1.33L has some 'interesting' gear ratios and may leave you changing gear excessively to make progress... However, I've never driven one, so take that with a pinch of salt.

Coming from the 1L world, I am new iQ owner with a lot of MK1 Citroen C1 (/Peugeot 107/Aygo) experience, which also has the same 1 litre 1KR-FE engine. It's generally pretty bulletproof, but the C107GO's 1KR-FE can suffer with generally-non-life-threatinging piston slap (especially when cold), elevated oil consumption and weepy water pumps (even the later design of pump). Water pumps, in particular, are a Toyota weak point and worth keeping any eye on, but they tend to weep slowly rather than pour. I must admit that the iQ seems to share a water pump design with the C107GO, but does have a different part number. Given the small oil capacity and VVTi system, a car which has had a complete and timely service history would be a wise choice, regardeless of the engine displacement (1L or 1.33L). Mileage isn't the end of the world with some well-cared-fore 1KR-FE engines in the C107GO world reaching well over 200,000.

The above wasn't meant to be overly negative... From what I've learned in my ~3 weeks of iQ ownership, these are really lovely cars and I am complely in love with my white one. Quiet, refined, in a class above their Aygo sister, and so much fun to pirouette in a rediculously tight circle. Personally, I would go for the 1 litre, avoid white paint, and get whatever trim level I could afford/justify.

• Like 4

Me... I bought my IQ almost a year ago.

I went in pretty much blind, and ended up with a 1.0l IQ2 manual. I love it.

Given my time and knowledge again, would I change? No.

I has an Auto Lexus RX before. Loved it. The comfort, toys etc, but it rusted...

In my IQ 2, the 1.0l is fine. With the manual gearbox, it keeps me engaged, but is not onerous.

5 gears are fine, don't want 6.

Manual and the engine is fine.

I like the IQ2 because it has fog lights. The auto wipers and auto lights are ok, but not a must have for me.

The climate control is ok, but as long as I have A/C. ( Avoid the 'just needs a regas'... )

But I do love(!) the photochromic rear-view mirror and the folding wing mirrors. They help a lot.

Great cars - just check the usual:  Service History, MOT history, HPI, and no excessive vibration at about 2,000rpm.

• Like 2

Mine is the IQ2, with the 1.0 engine amd CVT.

Fast enough for me, daily commute is 90% highway, flat, 30 miles roundtrip and it has no trouble keeping up with traffic. 

IQ2 also has automatic headlights and wipers, I love that.

• Like 2

I had a 2011 IQ 1 for about 7 years until some idiot wrote it off for me.

I’m such a fan of the IQ that I have now bought another to replace my damaged one.

I decided to upgrade to a newer model and bought 2013 IQ 2. To be honest I think I prefer the IQ 2 and it’s extra options, auto lights, auto wipers, fog lights, keyless entry and start.

They are great little cars,cheap to run and cheap to fix and maintain. As others have mentioned £0 tax is a nice bonus, although don’t forget to still register it with the DVLA! 

I would say if you are planning on doing a lot of motorway driving then it might not be ideal, however, it does keep up on the motorway and isn’t too uncomfortable driving long distances.

Hills can get a bit naughty at times too.

This is just my personal experience/opinion from driving one for a long time.

I’ve done London to Cornwall no problem and in fact, it was the perfect little car to drive around the narrow lanes and villages while down there!

If you can find a decent IQ 2 with a good service history then you won’t be disappointed.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 8:01 PM, Dannysaysnoo said:

... But which model is best? I've really wanted to get the 3, the 1.3l engine seems like it'd be a bit peppier? Is there any traps with it? Or can I just stick with the lower models?

Any closer to a decision now? 

On 8/14/2023 at 7:43 AM, PCM said:

Any closer to a decision now? 

Vaguely. I'm still set on an iQ, despite my family and, mostly, my sister, insisting on 4 doors et al. She'd only be happy if I got a Polo or Fiesta, and I shan't bother with those. Probably at LEAST a 2, possibly a 3 if i can stretch myself to it.

Buying a car just got a lot less complicated though, as, in the time since I posted this, I passed my test, first time, no faults! iQ, here we effin' GO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dannysaysnoo said:

Vaguely. I'm still set on an iQ, despite my family and, mostly, my sister, insisting on 4 doors et al. She'd only be happy if I got a Polo or Fiesta, and I shan't bother with those. Probably at LEAST a 2, possibly a 3 if i can stretch myself to it.

Buying a car just got a lot less complicated though, as, in the time since I posted this, I passed my test, first time, no faults! iQ, here we effin' GO

I have had a low milage 2009(44,000) iq3 for 4 years,I found its a great all round car,Ive removed the rear seats and built in a removable panel , I have a space saver spare wheel fitted against the rear panel under the door giving max boot space,its 99hp and 4 cylinders is perfect for motorway driving and town driving,also the cheap insurance bracket makes it a desirable buy.I paid £4000 for the car,and now they are sill fetching £4000!!!.I can also confirm that its never had a problem with oil consumption.

Happy hunting!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jikky said:

I have had a low milage 2009(44,000) iq3 for 4 years,I found its a great all round car,Ive removed the rear seats and built in a removable panel , I have a space saver spare wheel fitted against the rear panel under the door giving max boot space,its 99hp and 4 cylinders is perfect for motorway driving and town driving,also the cheap insurance bracket makes it a desirable buy.I paid £4000 for the car,and now they are sill fetching £4000!!!.I can also confirm that its never had a problem with oil consumption.

Happy hunting!!

Oh, nice! A iQ 3 owner! Wee question, how does the Gearbox feel? I can't get my hands on any model to test the feel, but I was wondering if the gearbox is a good 'Feeling' one, my learner's Picanto was a bit vauge, and a Corsa I had a shot in felt floppy, for lack of a better word. With the additional 6th and 4 cylinder engine, I wondered if the gearbox felt at all more snappy and distinct than other, comparable 5-speed runabouts

2 hours ago, Dannysaysnoo said:

Oh, nice! A iQ 3 owner! Wee question, how does the Gearbox feel? I can't get my hands on any model to test the feel, but I was wondering if the gearbox is a good 'Feeling' one, my learner's Picanto was a bit vauge, and a Corsa I had a shot in felt floppy, for lack of a better word. With the additional 6th and 4 cylinder engine, I wondered if the gearbox felt at all more snappy and distinct than other, comparable 5-speed runabouts

Hi Daniel,the gearbox feels great and gear shifting is nice tight and snappy,the plus with having the extra 6 gear, is extra fuel saving on long runs as it takes down the revs at high speed,Ive never tried the 5 speed iq box but the older aygo has the same box I believe.Good luck.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links