Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

20mph Speed Limits-Wales

Ronaldous

Trouble is good drivers will drive to the conditions which around a school or other child centric area will often be far less than 30mph, maybe (as you imply) at certain times less than 20mph.

Poor drivers will drive too fast regardless of the limits. 

• Like 4

Quote from a Police Driving Instructor on Officers going through the course....

"They go go too fast in the slow bits and too slowly in the fast ones."

The on board video footage of trainee officers disappearing into hedges 'cus they were "...too fast on the slow bits..." was hysterical but has remained with me for many, many years. And no, I wasn't one of them, as I wasn't in the Force.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, it's "perceived" that 70mph on a Motorway is "too slow" so, IMHO, 20mph is never going to get acknowledged by "the masses" as a "sensible" speed.

Remember that the current thinking is that it's all about ME and what I can do or "get away with." It's a "good thing" to "get one over" on someone else.

From the very top where our leaders can, and do, whatever they like apparently without any sort of consequence. Big business does whatever it likes regardless of legislation - including taxation - and Organised Crime just seem to do whatever they like to whoever they like without any sort of intervention - so it's hardly surprising that Joe Public thinks it can do whatever it likes, whatever it likes and is just interested in "ME"

Very sad isn't it?

Sorry if that all sound a bit doom and gloom and there are, definitely, some absolutely wonderful people out there who genuinely make a difference. You know who you are.

Andy.

• Like 6

• 8 months later...

Most 20mph zones in this country are useless, same like sped bumps, traffic islands, no hard shoulder motorways. Those in charge seems like never sat behind a wheel. 

• Like 4

Nobody (I can confirm) in Wales was asked about this or consulted in any way. It was brought in as "it will be good for you". The quote below from a recent article in the Spectator magazine about sums it up.

Welsh Labour has admitted that it didn’t consult sufficiently on the 20mph limit. When even the transport minister is admitting that his own family signed a petition against the 20mph limit it does underline how this policy was imposed on the public.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lets also not forget they also spent £33M putting this in place, only for them to partially undo it, we don't know the cost of that yet, absolute shambles, but nothing like the money given to VIP lane clients in Covid, unbelievable 

• Like 6

In out in out,a bit like the hokey cokey.

Like you say Parts-King,it beggars belief how such vast amounts can be taken and spent because it's good for you, with our own money of course.

It makes me wonder if politicians and councillors where made personally financially responsible for waste,ie bankrupt and ruined in person rather than the faceless "them" they might be a bit more careful.

• Like 5

I'll give them props for admitting they made a mistake rather than bullishly clinging on to their wrong decision like so many do *cough*ULEZsmartmotorwaysbrexitschoolacademiestuitionfees2030EVspostofficehorizon*cough*, but that is a lot of money to flush down the toilet... and it's *our* money! :rolleyes1:

I absolutely agree there needs be more personal accountability when they unilaterally make decisions like this - Too many get away with wasting loads of public money on pet projects or blatantly bad decisions then just walk away with no consequences.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Most 20mph zones in this country are useless, same like sped bumps, traffic islands, no hard shoulder motorways. Those in charge seems like never sat behind a wheel. 

I totally agree

• Like 5

On 4/25/2024 at 6:52 PM, Cyker said:

I'll give them props for admitting they made a mistake rather than bullishly clinging on to their wrong decision like so many do *cough*ULEZsmartmotorwaysbrexitschoolacademiestuitionfees2030EVspostofficehorizon*cough*, but that is a lot of money to flush down the toilet... and it's *our* money! :rolleyes1:

I absolutely agree there needs be more personal accountability when they unilaterally make decisions like this - Too many get away with wasting loads of public money on pet projects or blatantly bad decisions then just walk away with no consequences.

Wales could have taken a leaf out of Khan's book and allowed drivers to exceed the 20 MPH speed limit whenever they liked as long as they paid £12.50 😉

• Haha 2

Shhhh don't give them ideas!! :fear: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@AndyN01ndy driving up the A1 today i was following a lorry in lane 2 at 3 bar spacing. I was being followed by a Maseratie, so close I could not see his radiator.

I put my rear fog on and he dropped back.

Eventually the lorry I was following pulled over and cruise control kicked in and I accelerated. While there was still a gap before I caught the lorry the Maserati accelerated hard and pulled into the gap behind the lorry.

Then next bit was as good as an F1 driver. 

He slammed on the brakes and pulled off at the slip.  He was still negotiating the slip when I was well passed the slip entry.  

I wish I had his muscle car and lightning reactions 😀

• Like 2

On 8/9/2023 at 3:32 PM, fred88 said:

Said in jest perhaps but that is going to further inflame the already poor relationship between drivers and cyclists IMHO.

I cycle almost 11,000 a year, compared to under 4000 miles a year driving. There is no real war between cyclists and motorists. I see ignorance on both sides for different reasons. 

• Like 3

I was told by a friend and neighour, that his elderly dad received a couple tickets on recently changed limits (30 to 20mph), on a section of the South Circular in Woolwich South East London. The tickets were issued for each way on the same day! My friend said his dad didn't notice any flashes, nor did he realise the speed limit had been lowered! This is a TfL road.
Another road the A20 has had a speed reduction since last year, and lot's of drivers have been fined. Apparently someone put a 'fake' sign showing the original speed limit, plus some satnavs were not updated! 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

I was told by a friend and neighour, that his elderly dad received a couple tickets on recently changed limits (30 to 20mph), on a section of the South Circular in Woolwich South East London. The tickets were issued for each way on the same day! My friend said his dad didn't notice any flashes, nor did he realise the speed limit had been lowered! This is a TfL road.
Another road the A20 has had a speed reduction since last year, and lot's of drivers have been fined. Apparently someone put a 'fake' sign showing the original speed limit, plus some satnavs were not updated! 

Hi Konrad, he should appeal the ticket, if these type of fines are just allowed to go uncontested then they just see it as easy way to take money. 

Appeal the tickets, advise your friend to contest the tickets through a formal appeal process. TfL allows online appeals within 28 days of receiving the rejection notice (after initial representation). The appeal should clearly state the reasons for contesting the fines, focusing on,

Recent speed limit change, highlight the recent reduction in speed limit (30mph to 20mph) and argue that his father, especially being elderly, might not have been aware of the change.

Lack of signage, If there were any issues with signage being unclear or absent, gather photos as evidence.

Double tickets, mentioning the tickets being issued for both directions on the same day seems excessive. This could potentially lead to one ticket being waived. Any evidence that strengthens the appeal is helpful. This can include,

Photos of unclear signage (if available).

A written statement from your friend's father explaining the situation.

Any documentation proving his father's age to support the claim of being an elderly driver.Appeals typically have a strict timeframe, so act quickly.

The appeal should be clear, concise, when outlining the reasons for contesting the tickets.Seek additional help, Citizens Advice Bureau (https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/contact-us/contact-us/) offers free guidance on contesting fines, which could be beneficial for your friend.If it isn't to long ago then advise him to contest it.Hope this helps.👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links