Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is brake pads replacement usual procedure on 2017 HEV?

Smani

Hi all,

Been googling and searching on the forum but can't find an information for my year/model (2017 HEV with manual parking brake) to replace the brake pads and discs myself.  Dealer is asking £350 for the front plus £300 for the rear (quoted during last service when was still 50% of its lifespan).  I have seem some videos that specific procedure is required for some models, however it seems only for those ones with electronic parking brake. 

I have always changed my pads/discs and brake fluids in all cars previously and hoping still can do to my current Rav4 HEV?

Thanks in advance

20230812_182459[1].jpg

20230812_182506[1].jpg

• Like 1

I dont see a problem with manual handbrake models plus you have some knowledge of I presume doing it with a frend/assistant.

I play safe and check minimum thickness of rotor then decide if you need to replace those at the same time or just grind off the lip.

From photo it looks like they also need replacing.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Derek.w said:

I dont see a problem with manual handbrake models plus you have some knowledge of I presume doing it with a frend/assistant.

I play safe and check minimum thickness of rotor then decide if you need to replace those at the same time or just grind off the lip.

From photo it looks like they also need replacing.

Thanks Derek,

Yes, will do the rotors as well.  52K miles first change, not bad.

£75 for pair of front pads plus £84 for the rotors (Pagid ones, which I always used. Strangely enough, Brembos recommended on website are a lot cheaper but I had problem fitting them in other car and had to return, so won't risk again).

Back ones will last few K miles more than front, waste changing now as dealer suggested.

Bit of savings, obviously not included my own time to do the job but a cup of tea and biscuits will do. 😄

• Like 1

Hi Marcos, 

Brake service on Toyota hybrids is slightly different from other non hybrid cars. You need to follow strictly procedures to set up the car before you commence your work. 
Parking brake off. 
Car brake system depressurised and negative terminal of 12v Battery disconnected. 
Replace all brake discs and pads and fit new one without using any grease anywhere except silicone grease on the slider pins. Hubs should be perfectly clean and free from rust or grease. Dry fit all parts. Check pistons for free return. After all new parts are fitted pump brake pedal few times to set the pads , for the rear you need to pull the hand brake few times until becomes hard. Rear pistons may have slots which need to be top and bottom when rotating them in. If you replace brake fluid you can do front brakes first without Battery been connected but then for the rears you need to connect the Battery and start the car in valid mode. Or even only in ready mode it’s still fine.. Rear brakes are brake by wire only. 
Here two helpful videos from Prius which will be very similar. 

• Like 2

Hi Tony nice video tips

If you have the wrong wind back tool use this instead a angle grinder disk removal key but I admit I calipers were removed and in the vice brake hose plugged.

I also needed to apply a extra push using a sturdy screwdriver then I needed to lift the piston dirt seal slightly just to let air in to allow it to sit flush with the piston.

I did not remove or disconnect the Battery so maybe I was lucky system bled afterwards.

If its a vehicle with electric motors directly fitted to brake pistons thats a diffrent then you must disconnect the Battery or put it in service mode valet mode may work but I have not tried it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Hi Tony nice video tips

If you have the wrong wind back tool use this instead a angle grinder disk removal key but I admit I calipers were removed and in the vice brake hose plugged.

I also needed to apply a extra push using a sturdy screwdriver then I needed to lift the piston dirt seal slightly just to let air in to allow it to sit flush with the piston.

I did not remove or disconnect the battery so maybe I was lucky system bled afterwards.

If its a vehicle with electric motors directly fitted to brake pistons thats a diffrent then you must disconnect the battery or put it in service mode valet mode may work but I have not tried it.

Hi, 

the Battery disconnect is for safety in case you or someone around opens drivers door and the system start to pressuring and sets the pistons out and drain the brake fluid plus let air inside the system, can make a huge mess. 
Many petrol action had a lots of trouble after working on Toyota hybrids brake system, Prius hat for example is full of cases. Another important thing when system is pressurised we should not compress the pistons backwards, can cause trouble afterwards. 
Those cars with electronic parking brakes can also be done diy and the system set manually from inside the car, the car care nut has video about it. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links