Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question - Side Mouldings

jthspace

That's a useful link (especially the instructions). Thanks.

Above link : £48

Toyota site included items I didn't want, couldn't seem to find "just" the mouldings.

I've found in the past that non-original stick-on items usually have a snide version of 3M's very sticky tape that will often peel off at an early stage, so I'll add on some real 3M tape to the purchase!  Had one recently that stated it had 3M tape and the roll was stamped MMM - not a lie, as such, but . . . 😄

Jeff

• Haha 2

TBH those trims are more for looks than protection...

• Confused 1

To me these along with mud flaps makes the cars look unpleasant, but they are actually helpful. When you think how thin and soft the metal work is on these cars, any light touches by other vehicles door ends will result proper dents, confirmed. My car look like been beaten by a heavy hailstorm only on the sides., particularly the doors 🫢

• Like 3

The sign of a car that's been doing work and not just sitting as a garage ornament! :laugh: 

I think the OEM mudflaps are too small to be even noticeable, but I did want the side mouldings on mine; Alas the salesman ordered the wrong option pack and, by the time I saw it, it was too late to do anything about it. Wasn't a big enough deal for me to reject the car over, but just another in a long list of stupid errors and mistakes made by that dealership.

I wanted them mainly as highlights, as I had a feeling owning a dark grey car would make it invisible to the idiot driver pool (And I was right!), but they're too thin and stuck to the wrong area to stop e.g. a wayward trolley hitting the door.

I fitted "genuine" unpainted mouldings not long after purchase. Decuma Grey car so they blend in quite well.

Full instructions were inluded which required specific measuring to to give them the angle required to follow the shape of the body, four door.

I used a long piece of timber to draw the line, along the measured marks, using a black non permanent marker pen.

They're fixed with two strips of 3M adhesive tape along their length. Essential to position correctly first time!

I would estimate they have added a couple of m.p.h. only. I'm not too sure whether they are effective in protecting against other door being opened against them though.

As to protection, you're probably correct that they sit a bit low, I think the door edges just lower than the door handles stick out further, so the strips won't stop dings when occupants are opening the doors.  As to others being less careful opening their doors, it's 50/50 I guess.

I have a magnetic MX5, I park at the far end of the car park where there are loads of empty spaces, no door rash from others.  I return to the car park and there is someone next to me with 20 spaces around us! Go figure 🙄

PhotoRoom_20230610_120909.jpeg

Safe parking space 😂🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

To me these along with mud flaps makes the cars look unpleasant, but they are actually helpful. When you think how thin and soft the metal work is on these cars, any light touches by other vehicles door ends will result proper dents, confirmed. My car look like been beaten by a heavy hailstorm only on the sides., particularly the doors 🫢

I had a 2 inch crease appear on a rear door on my RAV about 4 weeks before I p/x'd it. Paint unbroken but very visible. Local company took 45 minutes to wiggle the crease out and it became totally invisible.

Best £50 I ever spent 👍.

A work colleague said it needed rear flaps (for aesthetics) - when I looked again it does look quite bare in the centre section as the bumper is quite high (and isn't that towing eye about 3 inches? so ugly). Having said that, I approach my car from the rear and it is elevated by about 4 inches in a staff car park. Not sure the flaps would improve the look but perhaps it might.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawnmowerman said:

A work colleague said it needed rear flaps (for aesthetics) - when I looked again it does look quite bare in the centre section as the bumper is quite high (and isn't that towing eye about 3 inches? so ugly). Having said that, I approach my car from the rear and it is elevated by about 4 inches in a staff car park. Not sure the flaps would improve the look but perhaps it might.

I'm waiting on these....

IMG_1595.jpeg

• Like 1

I forgot that the edit function isn't permanent. Another silly idea.

I thought there was a picture, lurking somewhere, of the finished look. Plus the before.

yaris moulding.jpg

yaris 3.JPG

Like Lawmmowerman I had a practically invisible dent in the door.  I could only image a gentle hammer blow on a nail punch with the point muffled with thick cloth. 

Once seen, you couldn't miss it.  I had the dent protection with a £24 excess.  The first available date was a Sunday.   He took about 30 minutes fettling and there it was, gone.  He then asked for £12, bargain. 

However,  being a Sunday the credit card machine would not work.  I contact the company next day and said I hadn't paid.  No response so price was £0, real bargain.

I had had an unexplained scrape and had not realised up to 300mm was covered so didn't claim.   They almost managed to polish it out (low cost) but a little too deep so £250 but again completely invisible repair.

• Like 1

Skilled scratch and dent repair people are like wizards

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cyker said:

Skilled scratch and dent repair people are like wizards

It is most definitely a dark art.

I think that I wrote about a dent in my left rear door caused by contact with my head after slipping while checking tyres. 🤫

He did a superb job and it's impossible to detect where it was. Accessed the inner skin through the flexible cable conduit at the front edge of the door. I had used him some years before, on a different car, after some selfish bozo dented a rear quarter panel in a car park. It was double skinned too, but he persevered until corrected. He knocked off £25 because of not being 100% happy with the finished result. I couldn't detect where it had been.

19 hours ago, olonas said:

I forgot that the edit function isn't permanent. Another silly idea.

No.

One can always ask a moderator to edit a post after your edit function has exceeded the time limit.

23 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

No.

One can always ask a moderator to edit a post after your edit function has exceeded the time limit.

Surely the logical solution would be that one doesn't have to do that? So, yes, silly.

The logical solution is what we have, as it prevents members editing posts at a later date and changing the context of posts or topics. 

Please return to the topic subject.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The logical solution is what we have, as it prevents members editing posts at a later date and changing the context of posts or topics. 

Please return to the topic subject.

Which is a matter of opinion. Are opinions allowed?

You love the last word, don't you Mike?

Will this be deleted for having a contrary opinion to your's?

Back to the topic subject  - 'question - side mouldings' 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links