Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid 12v Battery Lookup

Nabeel

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I'm trying to figure out exactly which Battery I have, this is proving to be extremely difficult with no clear indication anywhere.

The car I have is a Toyota Hybrid Corolla 2021 Touring Sports - Icon Tech - 1.8 Petrol Hybrid (122hp). I've looked in the owners manual, the Toyota app and every other place I could find but all I see is conflicting information on whether it's AGM or Lead Acid.

The Battery ran flat when I checked this morning (I drove it yesterday and regularly drive at least once or twice a day). This is extremely bizarre to me as internal lights were depressed, headlights were all off, blinkers, etc, so I'm really puzzled how the Battery ran flat. I went for a holiday a few months ago for nearly a month and it never had an issue.

Unfortunately I don't have a voltage meter / tester or someone that can assist jumpstart. I'm trying to get a battery car charger off Amazon for future use, but need to know what type of battery this is exactly. Any help is appreciated!

In the mean time, I have contacted AA (as it came under my bank benefit) and hopefully they'll take a look to see when they arrive.

a0FmGMj[1].png

Hi, 

all Toyota hybrids has lead acid batteries, however these with batteries fitted inside the car are mostly AGM, and those fitted to the engine bay are wet. 
Best way to buy a new replacement Battery is your local Toyota dealer.
You can book online via Toyota website or over the phone. 
For a smart chargers anything with a good reviews will do it. Most popular among the forum members are nocco and ctek. 
Once connected to the Battery they automatically select charging modes. Usually the slower is the better.
When you remove the old Battery more information can pop up from other labels with further information about charging for example. I personally use Aldi smart charger and works really well. 
image.thumb.jpeg.3f58cf0a8a79b04698f45a1f0de47917.jpeg

My 2.0 Corolla originally had an identical Battery to the OP's and it's definitely a conventional wet lead acid Battery, not AGM, (despite being in the boot on my car). It appears that Toyota are now fitting conventional wet batteries on their hybrids across the board, regardless of the location of the Battery in the car. 

I replaced mine with a Varta Silver 012 which has a slightly improved amp hour rating over the original. 

The AA came around and started my car and advised Battery needs replacing (resistance too low and voltage at 3.6, won't hold a charge). I brought it to my local Toyota dealer (I purchased it south in England but no longer live there), they said I need to pay for a replacement as it's a non-genuine Toyota Battery (despite it being in the 5 year warranty offered by Toyota). I don't recall the Battery ever being changed, ugh, so much hassle.  

The AA mentioned it's lead acid as well, not AGM.

That's definitely the original Battery. This was mine. Only difference is yours doesn't have a Toyota logo on for some reason 20230403_110116.thumb.jpg.e37b9e3f69bd05866efef924e37c67ca.jpg 

• Like 1

You can see the size of type of the Battery. It must be lead acid/flooded type which is cheap. You can buy it in any local shop  or COSTCO. 

I think it is H4 size dimension for 4th gen Prius and 1.8 Corolla. 

Yeah I've seen the same Battery on other screenshots when googling the number, I believe they're definitely trying to get me to pay. I'm calling Toyota and my original dealer to see what's going on.

• Like 3

Hm, dealer says the Battery is not original where actually it is. What a joke. 
Do you have the car from new and you have been the only owner , how would they proof that it’s not original Battery? If me I will fight for my rights and won’t accept any bs. 
Good luck 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hm, dealer says the battery is not original where actually it is. What a joke. 
Do you have the car from new and you have been the only owner , how would they proof that it’s not original battery? If me I will fight for my rights and won’t accept any bs. 
Good luck 

I've called my original dealer in England who I bought it from (brand new in 2021), they essentially said they only saw the vehicle when it was handed over in 2021. I called my second dealer for the service check in 2022 (also Steven Eagell) who said they never replaced the Battery

The current dealer in Scotland (Macklin Motors) claims the Battery is non-genuine and basically wants £140 to get it replaced. Called all of them, no one is helpful on tracing other than mentioning it's non genuine and they can't be of further help... 

I've ended up paying £140 (I realise batteries are much cheaper) and put in a complaint through Toyota GB via https://forms.toyota.co.uk/contact-us to get this refunded. It's outrageous how they claim a 5 year warranty and then it ends up with "non-genuine part". The car has never had any issues before today, and the Battery looks the EXACT same as other users here (other than the Toyota branding). 

For reference, they mentioned the battery has the part number 28800-yzzze for my car (not the one shown in the image that I have now).

PXL_20230821_100923537.jpg

LN1 is a Calcium sealed lead acid (aka EFB) looking on varta's website (made in the same factory as Bosch)  a LN1-MF equates to a UK 012 https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/battery-finder

10 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hm, dealer says the battery is not original where actually it is. What a joke. 

Good luck 

What gives it away, the giant Toyota logo 🙃

• Like 1

28800-YZZZE is the replacement Battery not the factory original, on a brand new car you only get a year on the Battery then its classed as "wear and tear" item it also depends when the car was built as the Relax warranty come in and the main warranty dropped to 3 years in 2021

• Like 1

Just now, flash22 said:

28800-YZZZE is the replacement battery not the factory original, on a brand new car you only get a year on the battery then its classed as "wear and tear" item it also depends when the car was built as the Relax warranty come in and the main warranty dropped to 3 years in 2021

My car was built and handed over in January 2021 (so it should have been 5 years) as I think the 3 years was a few months after. I'm surprised 28800-YZZZE is the replacement Battery, I was told that's the original Battery for my car that should have been supplied with the car. Lots of misinformation going on perhaps, here's hoping Toyota GB can sort it out.

I was told by the dealer had it been a genuine Battery, it would fall for a free replacement under the 5 year term (I did not hear anything about the 1 year wear and tear, can't find info on it either).

• Like 1

Just to show its OE heres a russian spec car https://www.drive2.ru/l/638767603422084249/

28800-YZZZE is the service parts number the original from the factory will be Varta it even has the Varta OE part number (677 148 RA, drop Varta an email they will have that on their internal system, they may be able to trace that QR code ) that will be specific to Toyota they may have had a batch without the Toyota logo on them that's just the way Just in time production works

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Just to show its OE heres a russian spec car https://www.drive2.ru/l/638767603422084249/

28800-YZZZE is the service parts number the original from the factory will be Varta it even has the Varta OE part number (677 148 RA, drop Varta an email they will have that on their internal system, they may be able to trace that QR code ) that will be specific to Toyota they may have had a batch without the Toyota logo on them that's just the way Just in time production works

Interesting translation over there! Yeah, that was odd when I noticed the difference in HR/AH versus the replacement parts number. Thanks for your help, I'll drop Varta an email to get some email chain going on. I've authorised the replacement for now at my own costs and will be looking to get this reimbursed from Toyota directly.

Certainly weird why they have no idea about this part, but perhaps the Toyota factory in the UK knows better as it was built there.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Nabeel said:

My car was built and handed over in January 2021 (so it should have been 5 years) as I think the 3 years was a few months after. I'm surprised 28800-YZZZE is the replacement battery, I was told that's the original battery for my car that should have been supplied with the car. Lots of misinformation going on perhaps, here's hoping Toyota GB can sort it out.

I was told by the dealer had it been a genuine battery, it would fall for a free replacement under the 5 year term (I did not hear anything about the 1 year wear and tear, can't find info on it either).

Have you registered your car on the Toyota UK website? You can view the full dealer service history for the car, which usually includes any previous warranty claims too. Just wondering if your car has had a previous replacement Battery under warranty at some point and for whatever reason the replacement they fitted didn't have a Toyota logo on it?

• Like 3

Just now, yossarian247 said:

Have you registered your car on the Toyota UK website? You can view the full dealer service history for the car, which usually includes any previous warranty claims too. Just wondering if your car has had a previous replacement battery under warranty at some point and for whatever reason the replacement they fitted didn't have a Toyoyta logo on it?

I have, I'm the first owner as I bought it brand new, no Battery replacements as far as I know and servicing has been fine too. Very odd case, but it definitely looks like the same Battery used by others here and elsewhere for their Toyota's (except they have a Toyota logo).

6 minutes ago, Nabeel said:

I have, I'm the first owner as I bought it brand new, no battery replacements as far as I know and servicing has been fine too. Very odd case, but it definitely looks like the same battery used by others here and elsewhere for their Toyota's (except they have a Toyota logo).

Very strange. Hopefully Toyota UK will reimburse you for the Battery, then 'have a word' with the dealer who told you it was non-original!

The car was built when everything was on short supply.
Very likely the factory might have used replacement batteries instead, just to keep production running. Same as another member has rear door cards in his top spec car from a  lowest spec level with holes for rear manual windows, obviously covered with plastic caps. This is common practice. If you know for sure that the car has never had a replacement Battery and you can check that. through Toyota website then obviously the dealer are talking bs. 
It does not have to have a Toyota logo to be original part. And you can tell that this Battery been in for some time, plus there is a blue paint mark, something done in the factory. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

all Toyota hybrids has lead acid batteries, however these with batteries fitted inside the car are mostly AGM, and those fitted to the engine bay are wet. 
Best way to buy a new replacement battery is your local Toyota dealer.
You can book online via Toyota website or over the phone. 
For a smart chargers anything with a good reviews will do it. Most popular among the forum members are nocco and ctek. 
Once connected to the battery they automatically select charging modes. Usually the slower is the better.
When you remove the old battery more information can pop up from other labels with further information about charging for example. I personally use Aldi smart charger and works really well. 
image.thumb.jpeg.3f58cf0a8a79b04698f45a1f0de47917.jpeg

I am using a CTEK MXS 3.8 charger it works out what type of Battery is fitted plus if you away and power goes off it will restart when the supply is reinstated some charges donot restart until a button on the device is pressed.

• Like 2

Any part with YZZ part number is aftermarket with Toyota sticker on it. Not the original Toyota factory parts. Very common in filters, brake pads, and discs.  We can still get non YZZ part number on some spare parts but usually more expensive. Like original Advics brake pads is semimetallic not ceramic from Textar. 

Take a look the dimension of the Battery tray. Any 12V Battery that fit the casing, should be fine. 45Ah is pretty small, almost as small as Prius 3 Battery Yuasa AGM. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

The car was built when everything was on short supply.
Very likely the factory might have used replacement batteries instead, just to keep production running. Same as another member has rear door cards in his top spec car from a  lowest spec level with holes for rear manual windows, obviously covered with plastic caps. This is common practice. If you know for sure that the car has never had a replacement battery and you can check that. through Toyota website then obviously the dealer are talking bs. 
It does not have to have a Toyota logo to be original part. And you can tell that this battery been in for some time, plus there is a blue paint mark, something done in the factory. 

Yeah - I think this is the most plausible explanation. I got lucky to even get an order in as there was a shortage everywhere for cars and chips in the news. Not to mention, I got asked by Steven Eagell for a good year to sell my car back to them due to high demand.

I wonder what else is non-genuine now, I feel like this should have been noted on file.

• Like 2

Its olso possible it was changed at a PDI check before delivery My car had items fixed but its not shown up on my phone service history (toyota app) but work was carried out in Derby uk.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Its olso possible it was changed at a PDI check before delivery My car had items fixed but its not shown up on my phone service history (toyota app) but work was carried out in Derby uk.

Yeah - quite curious if that's the case here since it was also from Derby (delivered end of Jan 2021). I've emailed Varta with the number and hopefully they can trace who it was given to, and also lodged a complaint and enquiry with Toyota GB directly as the dealers have been less than helpful unfortunately. Just wary that other parts might be non-genuine and the same issue might sting me again.  

1 hour ago, Nabeel said:

Yeah - quite curious if that's the case here since it was also from Derby (delivered end of Jan 2021). I've emailed Varta with the number and hopefully they can trace who it was given to, and also lodged a complaint and enquiry with Toyota GB directly as the dealers have been less than helpful unfortunately. Just wary that other parts might be non-genuine and the same issue might sting me again.  

That's a good idea. We should bring such bad rep up to change the dealership culture on blaming car owner

Toyota is also registered with The Motor Ombudsman (https://www.themotorombudsman.org/accredited-business/toyota-gb-plc) - so will definitely be pursuing and taking as long as it takes so they can reimburse me for the £140 they're charging (which in itself is an INSANE price for a genuine battery). It's not so much about the money rather than just a big corporation taking money and looking the other way when issues arise.

• Sad 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links