Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New GT86 owner, ex yaris t sport

corradovr6

Hi all,

been on the forum for a little while now, but mainly on the yaris forum.  I sold my t-sport a few months back and was looking for something else.  Really nice 2012 gt86 that was also quite local to me popped up and i was glad to bring it back today.  Really nice car, but needs some tidying up, had AP racing brakes (look like 4 pots), coilovers and a few other tweeks.  

First things first though, a good wash, clean, polish and hoover up, remoisturise the seals etc.  That'll take a good few days.  Water in the rear light too (RHS) and a slight knocking at the front.

Just a question though, is the clutch biting point meant to be really high up?  Plus its a bit jumpy at low speeds - i'll run some injector cleaner through it for a few tanks to see if that improves things.

Doesn't have the users manual and folder - anywhere i could get hold of one?

Finally if anyone has any pics of their engine bay i'd be keen to see what it should look like.  Thanks 

Hasan

• Like 4

Nice choice of car! Photos? 🙂 Good to see you back on the forum.

Reg the manual, have you tried Toyota GB's manual library?

Or just go directly to the GT 86 library.

• Like 2

Thanks APS, tbh i never really left i just like to keep checking in. The yaris forum was a really enjoyable place with some great people, i have to say.

Yes, I'll definitely get some photos up soon once we've given it a good deep clean. And thanks for the links I'll definitely have a look

• Like 2

I do like the GT86 - It was the first modern Toyota where they proved they could design a car that actually looked good! :laugh: 

It still looks pretty badass even now :naughty: 

• Like 2

Great choice, congratulations on the purchase of your GT86, will have some great fun driving, proper RWD NA drivers car.  Look forward to seeing some pictures.😀

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

a few updates (and i'll post some pics soon), oil and filter change, throttle body and MAF sensor cleanout, droplinks are a bit clunky so have ordered some new adjustable ones.  Hopefully try and fit this weekend.  Brakes are a bit noisy - some nice AP racing ones fitted!  Good shampoo of the seats, dried out and replaced rear light seal, some derattling of the boot lid and number plate.  Sorted the boot lock not closing properly by cleaning and oiling.

New leather gearshift boot, new handbrake boot (to fit as it needs to be stuck on), new gearknob, washed and reoiled air filter

Things to do:

sort the door check straps - dont keep the door open

rattles in drivers door

rattles in dash

service brakes

fit droplinks

soundproof parcel shelf & boot area

new wheel nuts and centre cap screws

spark plug check and replace as necessary

gearbox and diff fluid change

This will then bring it up to a base standard.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 6:27 PM, APS said:

Nice choice of car! Photos? 🙂 Good to see you back on the forum.

Reg the manual, have you tried Toyota GB's manual library?

Or just go directly to the GT 86 library.

Hi APS, tried those links a few times but just get the spinning arrow which seems its not allowing me to download.  Anything you could suggest?

It's a BRZ, it may take time to get use to the boxer engine, as they do like rpm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corradovr6 said:

Hi APS, tried those links a few times but just get the spinning arrow which seems its not allowing me to download.  Anything you could suggest?

Just tried it. They work fine. You need to browse to it from the  manual library page (rather than follow the direct link). Try clearing your cache or using a different browser / device if you still have trouble.

The 2017 GT86 Owner Manual is over 500 pages, so will take a little while to download if you're on a slower connection.

Didnt work through Edge either.  I'm trying to download the 2013 manual as opposed to the viewing the  2017 one (which i can see online).  Would anyone mind downloading this for me and perhaps sending as an attachment?  Not sure what i'm doing wrong tbh..

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

It's a BRZ, it may take time to get use to the boxer engine, as they do like rpm

you're not wrong there.  I still find i'm a bit snappy and jumpy with the clutch and throttle on takeoff but its great when it gets going..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, corradovr6 said:

Didnt work through Edge either.  I'm trying to download the 2013 manual as opposed to the viewing the  2017 one (which i can see online).  Would anyone mind downloading this for me and perhaps sending as an attachment?  Not sure what i'm doing wrong tbh..

Huh, weird, I'm having the same problem - Just a red spinny circle.

It used to work!!

It seems to be an issue with Chrome-based browsers... I've tried Edge, Vivaldi, Opera and Chrome. It works in Palemoon, which is a Firefox-based browser, but it crashed when I try to download a manual :wacko:

I really miss when the Web code was built around standards...

Just tried again - Safari, which has always worked so far, didn't work and I had to use Firefox this time. MS Edge worked too. Certainly seems like the website is flaky, but I've downloaded all six of them. Unfortunately the DMs on this website only allow attachments up to 5.8MB in size.

Anyway, I can only recommend trying again from different browsers and devices. It is clearly a bit of hit and miss.  Make sure you agree to the cookie use.

• Like 1

Thanks again. I'll give it another shot. Otherwise if you're ok with perhaps i could send you my email address for the 2013 manual?

@APS you can upload them to wetransfer.com and post the link here, although it only lasts for 7 days so people'd need to be quick to get it!

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2023 at 3:56 PM, corradovr6 said:

you're not wrong there.  I still find i'm a bit snappy and jumpy with the clutch and throttle on takeoff but its great when it gets going..

The characteristics you mention sound completely normal and carried over to the GR86. Being a new GR86 owner, 11 days in, it is very jumpy accelerating when cold and even when warm can be jumpy at crawling speed.  Clutch is also high and snappy, difficult to get a smooth gear change, but starting to get used to it .  For me it is just a character of the car and don’t mind it now I know it is normal.  Other than that the car is superb and like the GT86 you won’t get a better drivers car. Just looking forward to getting past the initial 1000 mile run in period.

Enjoy 👍

• Like 1

Just keen to get a bit of history on my car, if it was ever owned by someone on the forum.  There were only two previous owners

reg is HK62 BBN

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Small cosmetic mod today - some carbon fibre gel sheet on the boot switch. Its quite a bit blacker than the pic and there were a few carbon fibres needing trimming after i drilled a hole for the alarm led.20230929_181342.thumb.jpg.25a6b3691c4e85a6264381aebdd9a046.jpg

20230929_182505.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links