Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2003 ABS Pump/Sensor? Lots of lights on dashboard? Help!

Figew

Hi all, please help me not be swindled further.

A few weeks ago, I took my 2003 Toyota Avensis to the auto electrical garage as I had the VSR, traction control and ABS light on the dash, with OBD saying it was a rear vehicle sensor issue.

Autoelectrical garage (garage 1) said I needed new ABS sensor but was a mechanical job for another garage.

I took to garage 2, who tried changing sensor but lights stayed on.

Went back to garage 1 who then said it was actually an ABS pump issue - again a mechanical issue so not for them.

When I picked up, the airbag light was also now on. This time took to garage 3 (in case garage 2 was wrong). Garage 3 also tried changing sensor with same issue and also concluded it needed new ABS pump.

Garage 3 recommended a second hand ABS pump, which I bought under their advice. They then fitted it, and now the handbrake light is also on (5 lights now on!) and have said the code now says the ABS pump needs to be coded to the ECU, but they can’t do that!

So now, I have 5 lights on my dashboard, been to 3 garages, 1 ABS pump down and in a worse positon.

The autoelectrical garage says they can’t code it, neither can garage 3; so what do I do now?

Any help on how to get it coded or if there could be another reason, would be truly welcomed. I honestly don’t know what to do!

Thank you!!!

Mk1 (T220) on a 52 plate or Mk2 (T250) on a 03/53 plate ? Diesel or petrol, auto or manual ?, airbag light is due to the zero point calibration needs performing

clearly they just threw parts at it, rear sensor if not the sensor/wiring is likely to be the magnet that's part of the bearing (replace the whole hub), that should have been picked up by the first shop if they diagnosed it properly not relying on codes alone

The initial lamp combination sounds like your rear brake lights doesn't work. I had a combination of abs and traction control lights. Then I found out that if both brakelights have a broken lamp you get a strange combination of lights on the dashboard and the ABS and the traction control stop working. It could be worth to check if those brake lights are working or not.

Hi Balikbayan,

This is SO interesting as two of my brake lights are out…did you just change the bulbs?

thanks!

Yes, I just changed the bulbs and everything was ok again.

As you have got more lights on after visiting different garages (that obvious didn't know whatthey were doing) you might have more problems now than you first had. You should try to get those garages to re do their jobs as they made more fault to  the car than you had when you first arrived.

Thanks. I’ll try changing the lights and see. I very much doubt they’ll do for free as we’ve already had an argument about how they charged me for diagnostics twice.

You can't see this in the diagnostic. The combination of lights tell you the fault. I had my car at Toyota and they didn't see any fault codes when I had this problem.

A faulty brake light switch will cause abs codes poking around will also generate codes

This is extremely telling. Maybe I should change the brake lights and see if that helps at all. If not, I’ll maybe get old abs put in and see if brakes work…

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links