Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

No internet connection on car with phone?

YarisHybrid2016

Hi,

Got a bit of a weird problem, and I can't see what's wrong.

To start...phone is iPhone 14, and has good signal and internet itself.

I enable hotspot on the phone, and go to WiFi in the car nav settings, and connect to the hotspot.

So far, so good.

Phone is now linked via bluetooth and WiFi to the car. Solid bars for both...however, when I try to use any of the online features in the nav, nothing happens.

The signal bars with the up/down arrows are black (no signal/data transfer), but WiFi bars are solid.

In addition, when trying to enable e.g. Toyota Apps, it pops up the message asking to enable, but when you press the button to do so, it just sits there doing nothing. I actually managed to crash the unit the first time doing this (I assume it was trying to get a data connection, and hung. I had to power cycle the car to stop it).

I also checked for software update, but again, no sign of data life. Unit shows 2023_v1.0 so I assume it's already up-to-date.

I have another issue, but will create a separate thread for that.

• Like 1

I have Android.  With a Huawei both the Phone Icon and the Projection Icon were active.  Pressing Android Auto and I got the maps etc.

With a Samsung the Phone Icon is active via bluetooth and Projection is not active until the Mobile is connected and initialised using a wired connection.  Then Android Auto becomes available and the Phone icon inactive.  Phone calls are connected via the AA screen or the steering wheel buttons.

Android Auto wireless connection is possible but flaky.  I can get it to work but it is not picked up automatically as is the wired connection.

• Like 1

Apple Car Play seems to work fine (and kills WiFi and BlueTooth).

The problem is getting the car to use my phone as a hotspot for internet access.

What options do you have under wifi ? Have you had it working before ?? Can you post a pic of that screen

• Like 1

7 hours ago, flash22 said:

What options do you have under wifi ? Have you had it working before ?? Can you post a pic of that screen

Tonight I tried it again, and this time it sort of worked.

I went to Settings - WiFi, enabled WiFi and connected the phone. The WiFi symbol on the display showed solid white/connected, while the WiFi symbol with the up/down arrows remained blanked.

The phone showed the car was tethered to internet sharing.

I then went to Settings - Navigation - General, set the traffic mode to internet, and tried to set the cameras to internet. Amazingly, it allowed me to set the option to ON.

I then went to Settings - Online - Toyota Online Services. It asked to enable (same as yesterday). I hit enable, and this time it showed the eStore.

I logged in, it said connected services activated, and it started to load the eStore, but then encountered an error and couldn't go any further.

I also did a map update check, and it reported it was up-to-date.

O/T: the GR Sport showed 2023_v1.0, while the Cross shows 2021_v1.0. Checking for updates on the Cross showed no updates. A bit strange, as I thought they were supposed to be the same units.

Seems they can't actually do OTA updates?

The 2023 software seems to permit nav map updates OTA, but as mine is current, I have no way to test the theory. The option was missing on the 2021 version.

There is also a bug with the WiFi connection. If you try to connect to a device it has already seen, it fails to connect. The device must be deleted and added new to reconnect.

If it’s of any help, I tried to access the e-store on my PC and also got an error. It appears that there may be an issue with the e-store at the moment

• Like 1

The Touch2 and Go does not do OTA updates (via the DCM), only the smart connect does, but that might have changed in 2023

20-22 cars, maps are USB updatable (download off My Toyota) FOC for 3 years

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 1:08 PM, flash22 said:

The Touch2 and Go does not do OTA updates (via the DCM), only the smart connect does, but that might have changed in 2023

20-22 cars, maps are USB updatable (download off My Toyota) FOC for 3 years

Thanks!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links