Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Annoying strange noise, help identify?

Serban

Hello,

I'd appreciate if someone could help me identify if this is normal or what could be causing this? 

Got a 2021 yaris hybrid that creates like a screeching/grinding/buzzing noise when driving at low speeds when I accelerate and sometimes, but only sometimes when I'm cruising.

Initially I thought it's the brakes, but I got good brakes with 0 noise when I'm using them, no signs or symptoms of bad brakes...I think? The noise disappears when I use my brakes basically or when the car starts to slow down.

It's not the noise EVs and hybrids make to notice pedestrians, cause that sounds like a space car lol, this noise I'm talking about is annoying and bad on my ears

Anyone would probably know? Thanks!

Can you get someone to video & record the noise. Noises are very difficult to discover the cause.

Is it only noisy when the electric motor cuts in to assist the engine.

You are not in B mode I presume.

5 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Can you get someone to video & record the noise. Noises are very difficult to discover the cause.

I can try and record it tomorrow for the noise, but I think it would be difficult to catch it as it's not loud enough unless it's really quiet outside? Hmm, difficult, I'll try and see if I can catch it on video

3 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Is it only noisy when the electric motor cuts in to assist the engine.

You are not in B mode I presume.

Not in B mode.

I'm thinking, I believe you're on to something, I think noise goes away when I accelerate hard without the electric motor kicking in. Btw, say I hear the noise constantly, it goes away if I shift into N and noisy again if I shift in D, even though I'm not accelerating.

Electric motors do have a high pitch noise in normal operating conditions can you record it?.

It's clearly off, let me know if you miss it 

It literally starts with the noise, it's like a metal grinding noise? Scrapping? Don't know how to call it.

0:11-0:13 again 

At 1:21 for 10 seconds you can hear it on and off because I press gas pedal on and off

Edited by Serban

Ok can you pinpoint at times on the 1.47 minute video that is the noise you’re referring to.

Just now, Bernard Foy said:

Ok can you pinpoint at times on the 1.47 minute video that is the noise you’re referring to.

At 1:21 for 10 seconds you can hear it on and off because I press gas pedal on and off

1 minute ago, Bernard Foy said:

Or 0:48 for like 2 seconds

Sorry you’ve already done that so I’ll listen again.

Sorry Serban, I cannot pick up any unusual noises in the time frames mentioned. Maybe other members have better hearing than I will chime into this thread and offer support.

6 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Sorry Serban, I cannot pick up any unusual noises in the time frames mentioned. Maybe other members have better hearing than I will chime into this thread and offer support.

No worries, appreciate your time and support 

1 minute ago, Derek.w said:

sorry I can only hear the outside road noises from other motors passing.

Yea, the noise I'm referring to is definitely quieter than road noises. No worries 

Is everything clear underneath car.  Might be some piece debris hanging from the exhaust pipe or other part of the chassis.

4 hours ago, Jimota said:

Is everything clear underneath car.  Might be some piece debris hanging from the exhaust pipe or other part of the chassis.

Can you hear it though?

8 hours ago, Jimota said:

Checked and checked, seems okay.

It sounds normal to me, the mk4 has AVAS what sound like a 1950's UFO, you do get some motor whine that's all i can here, you do get some odd noise when you transition between EV and ICE as the planetary gears change the way the power/torque is transferred

if you only use it locally, take it for a run on a fast road/motorway

• Like 2

I think flash is right; The 11-13s noise is 100% Yaris AVAS noise and perfectly normal.

If you were doing less than about 16-18mph at the time too then it's a slam dunk.

The AVAS is a sort of UFO-with-its-handbrake-on sort of noise is the best way I can describe it, and comes on at low speeds (Usually less than 16mph) when the engine is not running.

It's supposed to alert pedestrians that you are there so they don't e.g. walk out in front of you (Or usually in my case, continue to walk in front of me in the middle of the road).

It doesn't work. Mainly because the pedestrians that would need such a thing are oblivious idiots and wouldn't hear a V8 artic truck creeping up to them, nevermind the weird AVAS sound :laugh: 

Just split the audio and filtered it with Studio one, It is in the 1-8kHz range, it's a rotational sound with a pattern It's either a very minor warped disk or a pad hanging up

• Like 2

Maybe, but would be surprised on a car that young and the lower use of the brakes on hybrids. Could surface corrosion on the discs cause that? Usually that'd be more of a grinding sound but might be resonating the pads slightly...?

2 year old car could have 30K miles on it or not many and it has just been to the shops once a week either has its issues

the sound ramps up to a point the ramps down like a bell curve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

It sounds normal to me, the mk4 has AVAS what sound like a 1950's UFO, you do get some motor whine that's all i can here, you do get some odd noise when you transition between EV and ICE as the planetary gears change the way the power/torque is transferred

if you only use it locally, take it for a run on a fast road/motorway

I'm glad you noticed though, it's not the UFO sound, that's cute and distinct than the actual annoying whine noise.

I drive mostly motorway/highway for business use with some city drive 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Just split the audio and filtered it with Studio one, It is in the 1-8kHz range, it's a rotational sound with a pattern It's either a very minor warped disk or a pad hanging up

Sorry if I forgot to mention, 3 weeks ago the mechanic said it's the discs. The pads are fine, it could be the rust on the discs because of the likelihood of the car not being used for a while.

I asked, without knowing much about cars other than some basics, isn't that rust there or the noise to be caused by the rust too early on a 22k miles car ESPECIALLY when you confirmed the pads are fine and strong? Did a test drive, not pulling to one side, responsive. Obviously he wanted to send me a quote and change the whole 4 discs and pads lol but there you go.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links