Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Annoying strange noise, help identify?

Serban

8 minutes ago, Serban said:

I'm glad you noticed though, it's not the UFO sound, that's cute and distinct than the actual annoying whine noise.

I drive mostly motorway/highway for business use with some city drive 

Could it be your misses? Mine makes annoying whining sounds!!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

I think flash is right; The 11-13s noise is 100% Yaris AVAS noise and perfectly normal.

If you were doing less than about 16-18mph at the time too then it's a slam dunk.

The AVAS is a sort of UFO-with-its-handbrake-on sort of noise is the best way I can describe it, and comes on at low speeds (Usually less than 16mph) when the engine is not running.

It's supposed to alert pedestrians that you are there so they don't e.g. walk out in front of you (Or usually in my case, continue to walk in front of me in the middle of the road).

It doesn't work. Mainly because the pedestrians that would need such a thing are oblivious idiots and wouldn't hear a V8 artic truck creeping up to them, nevermind the weird AVAS sound :laugh: 

The sound you hear at 11sec. You are correct, but there is an additional underlying or in the background noise that's the one I'm referring to. Anyway, I'll take the car to a full service in 2months or 2k miles so they should pick up on something 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, local hero said:

Could it be your misses? Mine makes annoying whining sounds!!

That must be it, sounds like an expensive repair, wonder if I should trade her in instead

• Haha 3

Just now, Serban said:

That must be it, sounds like an expensive repair, wonder if I should trade her in instead

No don't,give her a good service and polish and she will be fine👍

• Haha 3

I did have a high-pitched squeal on mine at low speeds last year when it was very hot, similar to the sound the break wear indicator makes on some pads; I managed to get rid of it by reversing, braking, going forward, braking etc. a couple times in an empty car park and so far it hasn't returned.

• Like 3

The rear discs are prone to rusting up and becoming grooved

there is so much noise on the audio, it took a while and a load of filtering as the noise is all over the spectrum

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I did have a high-pitched squeal on mine at low speeds last year when it was very hot, similar to the sound the break wear indicator makes on some pads; I managed to get rid of it by reversing, braking, going forward, braking etc. a couple times in an empty car park and so far it hasn't returned.

I've done that yesterday, but apparently it wasn't enough? I'll try again a couple of times 

I could just hear it. At times, it sounded like the AVAS, while at other times it sounded metallic.

flash22 seems to have isolated the noise though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links