Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear brakes sticking on MK4 Yaris

Derek.w

Just pulled the rear brakes apart NS sticking.IMG_0729.thumb.JPEG.9c82f31fdf7237511d04a043170cc20a.JPEG and it was just brake dust

IMG_0728.thumb.JPEG.1c4b6df0b41a95e77f6f66b9b7a156a4.JPEG I also checked slider pins but they are OK at least on this side.

• Like 1

This is the OS pictures IMG_0731.thumb.JPEG.84263e3bb6cf83e775ee4439998b0e7b.JPEG Slide pins sticking on this side but I suspect most of it down to brake dust and well just look at the slide brackets.IMG_0730.thumb.JPEG.686b8e5457e63f6d2dfc3b742a32baec.JPEG I have not bothered to bleed the system  its 3rd service is just 2 month away.

• Like 1

I blast the calipers every week with the pressure washer which removes any build up of crud.  Do you mean they came off with a clunk after parking or they were binding in motion?

IMG_4894.jpeg

• Like 2

Lovely. These cars and their brakes., tell me about it. 
There is nothing more than those parts require attention on regular basis. 
You did a great job, exactly on time. What mileage is the car currently? 
I believe Toyota hybrids should have stripped and properly clean all 4 corners brake parts each two years no matter mileage and for those who drive a lot every year. This is what I do, once or twice a year.
Otherwise, they quickly become same as yours. Slider pins needs to be greased and the rubber boots too., not too much but grease should be there to stop water getting in. Good job and pictures. 
Thank you. 👌

• Like 1

Brakes were sticking after been applied but not all the time usully just when first moving off in the morning then again some days it was noticseable at other times.

Don you also blasting off your ceramic brake grease with the dirt.

Next year I need new rear brake pads by then milage will be less than 12K I only just above 8.5K now.

47 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Brakes were sticking after been applied but not all the time usully just when first moving off in the morning then again some days it was noticseable at other times.

Don you also blasting off your ceramic brake grease with the dirt.

Next year I need new rear brake pads by then milage will be less than 12K I only just above 8.5K now.

They don’t stick.  The stainless clips keep them free.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek.w said:

How come the pads need replacing? Is there a problem. My previous MK3 didn't need anything replacing at 7 year old with 51k miles. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

How come the pads need replacing? Is there a problem. My previous MK3 didn't need anything replacing at 7 year old with 51k miles. 

One pad is down to just over 2mm on the wear indicator.

IMG_0728.thumb.JPEG.a9437d319582b8eed57cac86b4fc1a58.JPEG

9 hours ago, Derek.w said:

One pad is down to just over 2mm on the wear indicator.

If you mean the groove, it isn't a wear indicator.

• Like 1

No grease anywhere except the sliders. The grease causes more trouble than help. If me I will clean all parts with brush and brake cleaner spray , put back together and repeat this procedure every two years and the brakes will last ages. On all modern cars rear brake pads wear off first. , and it’s not the electronic parking brake the reason. 

• Like 1

Look at the sliders mine seam to have a anti friction material IE silicone paint that parted from the metal.

Stephen one the groove disapears then it have just 2mm of pad left for a safty margin.

This is a enlargment of a previous photo!.

IMG_0743.thumb.PNG.66382ee2f25a3c5a0b14afd9536551c6.PNG

Just for my piece of mind I have now completed the front brakes stripping down clean & reassemble. You need a T45 tool for this that can connect to a ratchet.

IMG_0745.thumb.JPEG.705cf82d42e2ec501b87636f51ef61e7.JPEG IMG_0746.thumb.JPEG.121750bf5c190962b05f441533865b1d.JPEG  and then reassembled IMG_0748.thumb.JPEG.60a14776ea2b827c153ff319effef234.JPEG

• Like 2

Good job 👍 

I did the same yesterday. On mine the pads were much cleaner as I do this often, once or twice a year , but the slider pins although well lubed were stuck and were causing some issues. Put a new ones and testing it tonight. 

• Like 2

Hi Tony I cleaned mine up first with a rag then brake cleaner sorry no thoto of that.

Thats the first time for them been off in nearly 3 years as I presume its not part of a normal service but comes in at a extra charge then again some garages do a "GOLD" service where stripping and rebuilding brakes is part of the service.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links