Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yet Another New IQ Owner

Dannysaysnoo

Howdy doo! I finally passed, and my family helped me take the plunge on my first car. A lovely iQ2 we found in Glasgow. Blue, tidy interior, it even came with the glovebag and the 'load' cover for the back. I'm never using those backseats, they are comical.

Wee questions, though, but I'll try and keep them to ones that SEEM to be asked around here, or documented, already.

-The Speedometer. It is UNDER reading speed. At about 30mph, it's actually going at 33mph-ish. Satnav, and my tensing, scared little new-driver soul confirms it. Is this common? I figure the replacement is a new cockpit unit or something.

-The piece of interior trim the Glovebag is pegged to. It pops off fairly easily. I'm guessing this is either from repair, there's a bluetooth mod kitbashed into it, or from people thinking there IS a glovebox. Any tips on fixes from experienced sorts?

-The Mirrors. They do NOT automatically fold/unfold when parked/starting. Is this how they actually behave? This seems surreal to me, it's such a gimmie for the designers. Not much to design to automate it.

-There's two pegs beneath each Front seat, for snagging onto the carpets for the front, but on both sides, at least one is broken. I think I've found replacements online, but how easy a fix is it? I'm just a daftie with a new car, should I give it to a garage?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dannysaysnoo said:

The Speedometer. It is UNDER reading speed. At about 30mph, it's actually going at 33mph-ish. Satnav, and my tensing, scared little new-driver soul confirms it.

If it is under reading, that is illegal. Note that sat nav readings, although usually more accurate than a speedometer, are actually an average speed over a number of points, rather than the true speed.

Tyre size can affect speedometer readings - are the wheels/tyres the original size or has someone fitted different size wheel and/or tyres??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If it is under reading, that is illegal. Note that sat nav readings, although usually more accurate than a speedometer, are actually an average speed over a number of points, rather than the true speed.

Tyre size can affect speedometer readings - are the wheels/tyres the original size or has someone fitted different size wheel and/or tyres??

HUGELY illegal. I'll see if I can book it into the garage soon.

I don't have a record of the work that's been done, but I'll get a measuring stick. It's not currently parked at my house just yet, so it makes faffing around with it a bit harder to do.

10 hours ago, Dannysaysnoo said:

-There's two pegs beneath each Front seat, for snagging onto the carpets for the front, but on both sides, at least one is broken. I think I've found replacements online, but how easy a fix is it? I'm just a daftie with a new car, should I give it to a garage?

These are very easy to fit. You push them into the holes they are retained in and turn them through 90 degrees. Try taking the broken one out and putting it back in. If you buy a mat set, it comes with a set of instructions for these. If you get really stuck, let me know as I might still have the instruction sheet.

There's no need for any measuring instruments to check the tyre size. Moulded onto the side of each tyre, it will say the size. Depending on the wheels you have, and assuming they are Toyota wheels, as obtained from my Owners Manual, they may be either:

175/65R15 (84S) -OR- 175/60R16 (82H)

The part I've put in brackets is the speed rating and doesn't determine the size, so is not so important for this excercise.

Tyre size could legitimately vary from the above if aftermarket wheels have been fitted in place of the Toyota ones (but this is a modification that should be declared to your insurer and could affect the speedo reading)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dannysaysnoo said:

-The Mirrors. They do NOT automatically fold/unfold when parked/starting. Is this how they actually behave? This seems surreal to me, it's such a gimmie for the designers. Not much to design to automate it.

That is fully normal, its working only by the manual switch. There are units on the market that makes them automatic but these are not plug and play. 

Or when you park your car, push the fold button, switch car off and push button again. They will unfold again at next start.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links