Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross reversing guidelines

Kieran Field

Is there a way to make the guide lines dynamic as mine are fixed and don't move?

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

None of the Yaris reverse cams support dynamic lines

Yes they do. The City Pack (Yaris X) (£100) downgrades the tech and the size of the screen but does give dynamic guide lines.

Oooh I didn't know that... I mean, technically I'm right because no 'Yaris' has :tongue:, but I must admit I didn't know you could get in on the Cross versions. I wonder why they just didn't put that on as standard!

Or is the City Pack the option that adds the 360 degree camera system...?? :confused1:

• Like 2

City Pack on the Cross adds 360 pan cameras, Touch2 for nav, park sensor activated braking, and park assist (self parking).

• Like 2

Yes mine has city pack with all of the above, not tried auto parking yet, my last car had it and I only used it twice..

• Like 2

Ahh, that explains it; The 360 degree camera system has different cameras and computers to the basic system, which is 'cost engineered' so quite bare-bones by comparison.

I really wish they'd had that as an option in the normal Yaris - I would have paid for that too along with the HUD!!! To be fair I don't think any Euro-spec Yaris has that, so maybe the french factory isn't even tooled up for it; I only know you can have it in the Japan-built Mk4's (But they get loads of things we don't get, even AWD! In a normal Yaris!! :eek:  :laugh: )

It's like Toyota UK don't want money, what with them also leaving out the heated seats and steering wheel (Which the french factory definitely *is* tooled up for!) - All things I would also have happily paid extra for!

• Like 2

Tbh, I don’t find the resolution of the screen a problem it all looks ok to me and does what I need it to, 

• Like 5

On 9/16/2023 at 10:47 PM, Cyker said:

Oooh I didn't know that... I mean, technically I'm right because no 'Yaris' has :tongue:, but I must admit I didn't know you could get in on the Cross versions. I wonder why they just didn't put that on as standard!

Or is the City Pack the option that adds the 360 degree camera system...?? :confused1:

yes, it does add the 360 camera thingy........

• Like 2

On 9/17/2023 at 3:12 PM, Primus1 said:

Tbh, I don’t find the resolution of the screen a problem it all looks ok to me and does what I need it to, 

The resolution of the screen is far clearer for text - glad I didn't opt for the City Pack. Although I was tempted by the Dynamic reversing lines and the low cost (the PVM didn't interest me - although RAV4 owners REALLY wanted the option)..

• Like 1

GRRRR...

Yes, I know how to reverse "properly", but this is just driving me crazy.

Are the reverse lines on the camera somehow not parallel? On my Gen.3, if I got either line over the top of the white line on the ground, the car was absolutely square to that line.

In my Gen.4, the thing is always at an angle, and I look drunk. I need to pull forwards and then align it in the mirrors to get it square. It's as if there is a slight problem with parallelism or something. It seems to affect both the left and right lines equally. It's driving me crazy.

I thought at first it was isolated to the Yaris we test drove last year, but I have noticed it on several Yaris now, including mine. The Cross doesn't seem to have this problem.

It's a particular issue when trying to get square with a curb without hitting it. Gen.3 was no problem, but this thing has me parked at a not-insignificant angle. If it had auto-tilt on the mirrors when reversing, I'd just use those.

The offset is such that if I reverse and put the line parallel to the curb, the front end can get close enough for the wheels to touch the curb when turned. That is where the problem is. I'm trying to learn the offset to use, but it seems odd to me that it would even be necessary to do that (and really defeats the purpose of the overlay).

I'll try and get some photos tomorrow to better demonstrate the problem.

• Like 1

I thought 360 view was a gimmick until I actually used it. That front camera is way more useful than it would seem! I'd suggest it is a higher level of usefulness than the reverse-park camera is. The 360-view/bird-eye view is just the icing on the cake. There are times when street parking where you think you might hit something, but the camera shows you are clear of it.

The resolution is higher than my Gen.3, and that was good enough.

FYI, if you tap the camera view, you can display a larger version of just that view. The rear camera has three view modes.

If you put the vehicle in park and press the camera button below the steering wheel, it will show you a 360 panorama around the car.

• Like 2

Totally agree.  Combined with the poor turning circle of the Yaris I struggle with reverse parking into a bay in this mk 4.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

GRRRR...

Yes, I know how to reverse "properly", but this is just driving me crazy.

Are the reverse lines on the camera somehow not parallel? On my Gen.3, if I got either line over the top of the white line on the ground, the car was absolutely square to that line.

In my Gen.4, the thing is always at an angle, and I look drunk. I need to pull forwards and then align it in the mirrors to get it square. It's as if there is a slight problem with parallelism or something. It seems to affect both the left and right lines equally. It's driving me crazy.

I thought at first it was isolated to the Yaris we test drove last year, but I have noticed it on several Yaris now, including mine. The Cross doesn't seem to have this problem.

It's a particular issue when trying to get square with a curb without hitting it. Gen.3 was no problem, but this thing has me parked at a not-insignificant angle. If it had auto-tilt on the mirrors when reversing, I'd just use those.

The offset is such that if I reverse and put the line parallel to the curb, the front end can get close enough for the wheels to touch the curb when turned. That is where the problem is. I'm trying to learn the offset to use, but it seems odd to me that it would even be necessary to do that (and really defeats the purpose of the overlay).

I'll try and get some photos tomorrow to better demonstrate the problem.

Same issue here

I look like a beginner that doesn't know how to park 

The camera quality is poor, love the wide angle of the camera but this also makes me think it distorts the image to much, can the camera be change to a different one? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad it's not just me!! I think it's something about the fish-eye effect of the camera, but I can't use it except to judge final distance to things behind me; I absolutely can't use it for positioning purposes.

I found the car weirdly difficult to park when I first got it, but now I've stopped using any of the assists and gone back to using my own eyes and the mirrors I'm finding it much easier to reverse park properly.

I dread to think how much worse it would be if it had wing cameras instead of mirrors too!

• Like 2

Yeah 360 degree parking camera systems are great :biggrin: 

It's another thing the JDM Mk4 Yaris can have that I wish ours did!! :crybaby: 

• Like 1

If it's any comfort I had the same problem with my Hyundai Kona a few years back. The number of times I parked it perfectly only to get out and find it skewed across the space ... 🙃

I put it down to the camera only being useful for alignment until about halfway in at which point the (door) mirrors were more meaningful, but the odd body-shape caused a sort of optical illusion. I don't have that problem with my Mk3, but I suspect the later ones maybe have that same kind of odd shape.

• Like 3

I always use mirrors and old school drive techniques to park or do manoeuvres and the revers camera for extra eye on the back, no dynamic lines on mine and the screen is built into the rear view mirror, small size with good resolution. I am so used to it, when I try cars with large midd dash screens and dynamic lines I think this adds more complexity and kind of cause me confusion more than help. 

• Like 2

On 9/21/2023 at 8:08 PM, Cyker said:

I'm glad it's not just me!! I think it's something about the fish-eye effect of the camera, but I can't use it except to judge final distance to things behind me; I absolutely can't use it for positioning purposes.

I found the car weirdly difficult to park when I first got it, but now I've stopped using any of the assists and gone back to using my own eyes and the mirrors I'm finding it much easier to reverse park properly.

I dread to think how much worse it would be if it had wing cameras instead of mirrors too!

I use the camera now for just knowing when to start the turn-in, and then go to the mirrors for alignment. Been much better since doing that.

I have a stretch Corolla for the next few days, and the guidelines on that are absolutely spot-on. Makes me wonder what went wrong with the Yaris. I need my car back to investigate further, but my initial reaction when I first drove the 2020 model was that the camera was somehow offset from where it should be, almost as if they had designed it to be placed centrally on the tailgate, then moved it slightly to the side/rotated slightly.

The Cross is fine, too.

@TonyHSD I just ignore the moving guidelines on the Cross. I thought they'd be useful, but not really.

• Like 3

On 9/21/2023 at 9:14 AM, Graham47 said:

Totally agree.  Combined with the poor turning circle of the Yaris I struggle with reverse parking into a bay in this mk 4.

I think it is a great improvement over the Mk.3!!! 😂  It turns better than it seems. For maneuvering in tight spaces, I pull tight up on the side I'm going to park, overshoot slightly, turn to the right about 30-45 degrees, then back it in. Works for 50 ft coaches, too!

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 8:56 AM, TonyHSD said:

I always use mirrors and old school drive techniques to park or do manoeuvres and the revers camera for extra eye on the back, no dynamic lines on mine and the screen is built into the rear view mirror, small size with good resolution. I am so used to it, when I try cars with large midd dash screens and dynamic lines I think this adds more complexity and kind of cause me confusion more than help. 

I’m old school as well and always use my mirrors to line up my approach and finally park.  However, I do use the camera when reversing out of a parking area at a supermarket as it gives an excellent rear view and makes it easier to spot kamikaze shoppers with their wonky shopping trolleys.

• Like 2

Yeah the wide view-angle is very helpful there, although it doesn't stop the RCTA from screaming at me and braking the car because e.g. a pigeon is walking past  :wacko: :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Can you adjust the width of the angle of view of the reversing camera in the Yaris Cross?  I have a nine incher, lucky me.   You can in our Jazz Hybrid, but I had a look today in the YC and I cant find a way of adjusting it.  Id like to make the angle of view wider if I can. 😀

Well I don’t know what’s wrong with you lot🤭 but I use the reverse cameras all the time ( when I’m reversing obviously) and I don’t find any issues at all, the dynamic lines work well as does the 360 view, I also use the mirror’s as well , 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links