Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Worn sparkplugs triggered EML and other cautions/warnings ⚠️

Konrad C

On Saturday cruising back from helping my brother buy a new car, driving on the M25, when the warn alert sounded, the instrument display caution and warnings ⚠️ lit up the dashboard, plus the usual messages like 'Check Parking Brake' and a few others. The car felt and ran normal. I took the next junction a minute later and stopped in a safe place. Turning off and restarting the engine made no difference,  so I continued my journey home, and apart car drove fine, including cruise control. The next day, I got my Launch diagnostic reader to get the code - P0301 misfire cylinder 1 current and pending.  20230924_093809.thumb.jpg.463bd8387cb97f0d9edb3e3604fa8331.jpg20230924_093832.thumb.jpg.94e130e8130bfae04922a27d8eb5c800.jpg

I had a box of new sparkplugs indoors, so I got to work. 

IMG-20230924-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.b38ae7730537d57671e4b0e235a2ad5e.jpeg

When removed the old sparkplugs, I was shocked by their condition! 

20230924_110317.thumb.jpg.16605ea8cbb28495fa462b44805f532f.jpg20230924_120745.thumb.jpg.faaa1283bf766b70df367dea7757a263.jpg

All had the tips burnt away as shown in the photos. I am sure I installed them in 2019 and got them from eBay. The set before them, was installed in 2015. Those set s were bought either from Euro Car Parts or a Toyota garage with an eBay shop, so were genuine. They still had their tips and looked hardly used. I suspect the last set could have been fakes, because my car use dropped since 2020 and my average mileage is now 4000 miles. Another possibility is the E10 fuel!

The new sparkplugs are Denso SC16HR11 which superceded the SC20HR11. I bought them from Halfords a few months ago on offer for around £30 for the set at the time. 20230924_121337.thumb.jpg.72c54a9f664b84ba7704c70cdba9b007.jpg

I removed the fault codes and the engine started without issue and the no warnings or cautions. Car sorted. 👍🏾

Now the weird thing was, on the outward journey, I said to my brother, 'most breakdowns are preventable with maintenance'. Then on the return journey on the same stretch of the M25 my car bites me. 😂

One final thing, my brother bought a 2019 Kia Proceed Shooting Break from Bletchley Kia. I have to say, the car is great and would be happy with the Kia Ceed estate. The kit level is extremely high. 

The main take is check and change the parts in good time and be wary of fakes!

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Those are 100% fake plugs. Honestly, only buy parts from main dealers if you are looking for original and if you are looking for aftermarket avoid Asian names as those are most likely copies, bad quality fake parts. Only Denso parts are real if bought from big companies like Eurocarparts, however there are slight possibility to stock fake parts too. The worst vendors  are those sellers like e-hybrid, and his all other names on eBay that sell fake oem or poor quality parts. Genuine car parts independent resellers almost does not exist in the world unless they sell cars and have own service garages.

⚠️ No car manufacturers spare parts department offer great discounts to make reselling their original parts at profit as independent resellers. ⚠️

Been in the car parts business for long time. Some people argue with me here about this and about new car sales profits but they had no idea of these businesses at all, and I had worked within for years. Although things has changed with the time the general idea and business model remains the same so there is no way you make money off selling original parts on eBay , unless they are fake or stolen. 

This new one on the picture also doesn’t look right to me. The tip colour ok, but the metal housing , the tread , the central electrode, the markings and most importantly the ground electrode look non genuine. 
You put them in, but if me I will buy new set from Toyota dealer and take one off these and compare and if the difference is real as I can see and I am right I will change them all again. 👌

E070294C-7471-4BFF-8FA4-3CD1BEBAFD0E.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Here an original   Toyota Denso spark plugs bought from snow group west through eBay and traveled 60000 miles. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254376840140?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=vV-jwrewS2G&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

image.thumb.jpeg.24bf98426530ad3535799e39bd334d30.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

and the video. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Here an original   Toyota Denso spark plugs bought from snow group west through eBay and traveled 60000 miles. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254376840140?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=vV-jwrewS2G&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

image.thumb.jpeg.24bf98426530ad3535799e39bd334d30.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

and the video. 

Tony you are spot on. The previous set I got was from the Snow Group eBay account back in Autumn 2015. The set I replaced was from 2019 was from another eBay seller. The Snow Group set were in good condition and certainly better than the set I just pulled out. This 'fake' set has done the least mileage than any set before. At least the new SC16HR11 I bought from Halfords are genuine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

If you look at op's pics, the old plug is cracked at the base of the hex they are fake ones for sure

https://www.driven2automotive.com/blog/how-to-spot-fake-denso-iridium-power-spark-plugs-2017/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvcJFkf_XJ0

I was only suspicious when I removed the plugs. That was the only set I got from eBay from a generic seller. All previous spark plug purchases are from known sources - Euro Car Parts, Snow Group and Halfords

At least I made it over the Dartford Crossing being it only quick drive to where I live, plus not add to the breakdown delays that regularly happens there. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Those are 100% fake plugs. Honestly, only buy parts from main dealers if you are looking for original and if you are looking for aftermarket avoid Asian names as those are most likely copies, bad quality fake parts. Only Denso parts are real if bought from big companies like Eurocarparts, however there are slight possibility to stock fake parts too. The worst vendors  are those sellers like e-hybrid, and his all other names on eBay that sell fake oem or poor quality parts. Genuine car parts independent resellers almost does not exist in the world unless they sell cars and have own service garages.

⚠️ No car manufacturers spare parts department offer great discounts to make reselling their original parts at profit as independent resellers. ⚠️

Been in the car parts business for long time. Some people argue with me here about this and about new car sales profits but they had no idea of these businesses at all, and I had worked within for years. Although things has changed with the time the general idea and business model remains the same so there is no way you make money off selling original parts on eBay , unless they are fake or stolen. 

This new one on the picture also doesn’t look right to me. The tip colour ok, but the metal housing , the tread , the central electrode, the markings and most importantly the ground electrode look non genuine. 
You put them in, but if me I will buy new set from Toyota dealer and take one off these and compare and if the difference is real as I can see and I am right I will change them all again. 👌

E070294C-7471-4BFF-8FA4-3CD1BEBAFD0E.jpeg

The new set came from Halfords, so it would not look good if they were found to be selling fakes. As you know Toyota changed the plug specs and updated from SC20HR11, the old version to the SC16HR11. This is the first time I have installed the SC16HR11 in my car. Shouldn't be any different from the SC20HR11.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

The new set came from Halfords, so it would not look good if they were found to be selling fakes. As you know Toyota changed the plug specs and updated from SC20HR11, the old version to the SC16HR11. This is the first time I have installed the SC16HR11 in my car. Shouldn't be any different from the SC20HR11.

They are no different and exchangeable part numbers, the 20 were discontinued by Toyota. Halfords is mixed bag imo, I will still prefer to buy from Toyota official dealers. The problem with fake plugs and all fake parts is that they are actually worse than good name aftermarket. For example NGK, Bosch, BERU, DENSO when  real these are better option. For the plugs also sold in Europe if real no matter what brand they are , they should be made either in Japan, France or Germany. Made in any other country is suspicious.

• Like 2

The set I removed are fakes! I did a search and found the previous set of genuine plugs I used from autumn 2015 until December 2019/January 2020. The eBay box is dated 20.12.2019. I have the name and address of the seller on the box!

There are a few differences I noted between the genuine and the fakes. First there is a 5 digit number stamped on the genuine plugs. None on the fakes.

20230925_211246.thumb.jpg.c5041a7cbc9af7e67bde21aa7ec7e943.jpg

The print on the insulation is different and higher on the fakes. The originals are on the left, fakes on the right. 

20230925_212040.thumb.jpg.4277ee0a6d09fbbebd82100f02a28955.jpg 20230925_211725.thumb.jpg.0793a8f8174498ee58c9429dfc6afde2.jpg

The washers are loose on the originals which I noticed when installing my new SC16HR11 plugs yesterday, and the original SC20HR11 plugs. The fakes tight. 

The tips of the used originals wear very little, being Iridium20230925_211735.thumb.jpg.0fd822fe050efaad01024ae1681857bf.jpg

The waist just under the hex is flat on the originals.20230925_211954.thumb.jpg.4c0e6ee50d3dad8f06b006b2184d3066.jpg

The fakes have a bulge under the hex. 20230925_211958.thumb.jpg.5de517fbb6744f4d0eff07e12c2e3ca6.jpg

The fakes surrounded by the boxes they came in. 20230925_212256.thumb.jpg.15806dd90af8e5126809766d4a82c636.jpg

It could also answer that weird engine revving occasionally that began in 2020, when the engine was fully warmed up. I have not used the car since replacing the fakes, so tomorrow will be the first proper test. The car had only done probably 12,000 miles on the fakes! I wonder if anyone else has fell foul of these fakes? 

20230925_211731.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Since I now know the spark plugs are fakes, I wonder how many unsuspecting owners of the various cars that use SC20HR11, that are aware until the car has a problem! 

I think this post needs to shared in the other forums of the models that use the same plugs, even the the SC20HR11 has been superseded by the SC16HR11!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had already some other members, one or two that had issues with engine running and after some chat here they realised  they made the same mistake to buy plugs of eBay from non official dealers and the same results, Auris forum I think. I would say you have been lucky not to have engines totally destroyed, as this can also happen if the plug central or ground electrodes break off. 
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience and pictures.
Hopefully more will see , note it, and stop buying from these scammers. 
Any seller on eBay uk with hybrid in its name is owned by e-hybrid, a con man that started his business exactly with that, fake spark plugs.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just come back from using the car. Engine was faultless. I also notice the eager throttle response and midrange pull. The sudden revs has not happened yet. The car has got back what it was missing for over 3 years.

Hope everyone see this post and use the info to check their spark plugs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Hi Konard,

I took advantage of your Halford £30 deal few months back for the T27 and intend them to fit in the next major service in February. I also got the same sparks (SC16HR11) in the Lexus, and as this car is a pain to change sparks, I decided to order some from Lexus directly and get them fitted by my regular garage when the car hit 60k, which is coming soon.

I looked at all the differences pointed out above, and I don't believe the ones Halford sold us are fake simply because they are identical to the set I got directly from Lexus.

Good to hear that the car is running well again and that none of the coils failed as a result of having such an enormous gap to overcome.

There are so many of these very-plausible fakes in circulation these days, that I really don't believe it's worth buying car spares off eBay unless they're clearly being sold by a reputable dealer or the quality doesn't matter to the buyer.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Shavestick said:

Hi Konard,

I took advantage of your Halford £30 deal few months back for the T27 and intend them to fit in the next major service in February. I also got the same sparks (SC16HR11) in the Lexus, and as this car is a pain to change sparks, I decided to order some from Lexus directly and get them fitted by my regular garage when the car hit 60k, which is coming soon.

I looked at all the differences pointed out above, and I don't believe the ones Halford sold us are fake simply because they are identical to the set I got directly from Lexus.

The Halfords SC16HR11 plugs are genuine and the engine runs very well. They replaced the fake Denso SC20HR11 plugs from an eBay based in Morden! I still had the previous genuine SC20HR11, used from 2015 - end 2019/beginning 2020. The genuine plug tips are still there after 36,000+ miles, while the fakes barely did 12,000 miles! I also noticed the weird idle behaviour from mid to late 2020 until the day the EML and warning lights came on. Since the new plugs have been fitted, the engine performed very well, with no sudden revving. This is the first time with the SC16HR11 set. 

• Like 2

I got the Denso Iridium TT from this site https://www.gsparkplug.com/

for both my Yaris and Avensis 5 years ago (about) still good. I guess it is like fake SD cards? Seems like they were selling copper plugs instead of Iridium. Though I probably put mine in too tight I believe they also have torque settings and need to be put in with a light touch.

• Like 1

Based on everyones comments I certainly will be changing to Denso spark plugs are better.  My only issue is High revs in the morning and also 4pm when I finish work.  Both of my previous Avensis never over rev'd until this particular TR model.  Fuel consumption is ok but could be better than my older models.

As my original topic is related to high revs I will be looking at decent spar plugs.

• Like 3

Lesson to us all there; to be honest I (naively perhaps) didn't realise that people were faking spark plugs!! Is the Ebay'r you bought them off still selling them?

• Like 2

If you buy  from eBay buy from these guys, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254376840140?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=vV-jwrewS2G&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I bought 3 times from them, they are official Toyota  dealer, sent fast and free. 
The higher revs over 1500rpm aren’t usual for any petrol engine on standard cars. There is something going on, throttle body, map sensor, plugs, air filter, etc , something it’s not right. 

• Like 1

Worn sparkplugs is the first thing to damage the coil's.

On 10/1/2023 at 11:51 AM, NeilAvensisT said:

Lesson to us all there; to be honest I (naively perhaps) didn't realise that people were faking spark plugs!! Is the Ebay'r you bought them off still selling them?

I cannot check due to the age - 19 December 2019. eBay don't keep records that far. I will check my emails to see if I can find seller details. I do have a name and address of the seller at the time, because it they are on the box the spark plugs came in. He could have moved in that time!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

I cannot check due to the age - 19 December 2019. eBay don't keep records that far. I will check my emails to see if I can find seller details. I do have a name and address of the seller at the time, because it they are on the box the spark plugs came in. He could have moved in that time!

I found the paypal receipt and the seller is called EHYBRID LTD. Further checks and a company of the same name that was saved in my sellers list is still operating and are based in Morden, same area as my sellers address! They are still operating on eBay!   

• Like 2

Thanks to cues from Neil (NeilAvensisT), I decide to check my emails. I keep all My PayPal emails in a specially named folder, and found most of the details. Also I had the name in my eBay saved sellers list. The seller is under the name EHYBRID LTD or EHYBRID or e-hybrid, all show on the sellers page. Location is Morden. 

The concern is that the seller has lots of items mainly aimed at Toyota Hybrid car owners. I only bought the fake sparkplugs from the seller back in 2019, but what are the quality of the other items being sold? 

Not sure what the rules are about posting detailed information on this site, but can I post a link?   

• Like 3

I knew and warned few members about this man. I have been following his trade of fake Toyota parts on eBay, he started with fake plugs bought from Aliexpress and offered to the uk public at much lower price. Since his grey business was discovered by many he has changed his name and closed his website, reopen new ones and continue. He may offer some real parts too, but there is no guarantee plus his customer service is horribly as per the reviews online. I don’t know why people will prefer to buy a genuine parts from a non genuine seller? Now he sells his parts at even greater prices than dealers on eBay and if you visit local garage. There is absolutely no point of even looking at his stock at all. 
Here how a genus paper box of genuine Toyota plugs look. 
image.thumb.jpeg.3e56d7e1065ac4fa59201748f598251d.jpeg 

image.thumb.jpeg.d782436abc896dca318917f66676e1da.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Cautionary tale from Kia forum. The strange thing is, the dealer or garage took 3 weeks to diagnose and remedy the fault, that I fixed in less than an hour!

My car broke down 2 months ago due to engine misfire. Turns out the spark plugs were done and needed replaced. Even though I had my major 4 year service (40k miles) carried out a couple of months ago, the spark plugs were not looked at.
Bare in mind, that the spark plugs are only under warranty for 2 years (24 months) and the Kia manufacturer service recommends that spark plugs should only be checked every 5 years / 50k miles.
Learn from my mistake and have your spark plugs checked more often. The dealership took 3 weeks to diagnose my car and overall bill was just over £200 . This could have been easily avoided if I knew better.

Remember this is from the Kia forum, and I do like their cars. My brother just bought a 2019 Kia ProCeed Shooting Brake. Fully loaded and everything you would want, yet not top of the range. I call Kia the Korean Toyota. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links