Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Service time - what would you do?

Hi, can you help me decide what to do? I've always had a company car so they always took care of things. This is the first time in decades since I owned my own car.

I've been emailed saying my car is approaching 1 year old and should now be serviced. Thing is, it doesn't even have 2,500 miles on it yet.

Should I wait, get the intermediate or full service?

If I wait, how long should I wait? Until 6k?

Whenever I do get a service, either intermediate or full, will that add an extra 12month/10,000m to the 3 year warranty I got when I bought?

Also, what's the difference between the 2 services?

Does everyone go to Toyota dealers for servicing?

What would you do? Many thanks,

If you want the warranty then it have to be service regardless of low mileage. Full or inter depends.

1 inter

2 full

3 inter

Read up on full and inter on relevant Toyota/dealer website. Your car is 2022 so most here would be servicing it with the dealer to maintain warranty including me. After 3 years I normally service with independent, usually only an oil & filter change. 

• Like 3

I would not be trying to save money in this situation. A one year Service by a Toyota garage is essential to provide appropriate care for your car. It will get a proper look over and assessment, updates as necessary and an oil change at least plus the additional years warranty. All good practice fr car maintenance I think.

• Like 5

It doesn't matter if you have only done 100 or 2500 miles in the year the service  is as stated in Toyota maintenance schedule. The service schedule is 1 year or 10,000 miles which ever comes first. If you only do low mileage you will still get the next milage maintenance service 10,000. 20000. full, intermediate etc but you may have only done 200 or 5000 miles on the clock in total. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PB194 said:

This is the first time in decades since I owned my own car.

It's an asset that cost you (presumably) a five figure sum, and has a 3 year warranty. Risking the validity of the latter and reducing the resale value down the line (because it won't have a full service history) to save a couple of hundred pounds is probably not the best plan.

Neither of our cars does more than 2,000-3,000 a year and are quite a bit older than yours, but both get their annual services on time, partly because they need their MoTs then anyway.

• Like 5

I've been emailed saying my car is approaching 1 year old and should now be serviced. Thing is, it doesn't even have 2,500 miles on it yet.

Should I wait, get the intermediate or full service?

My 2019 MK3  has only done 25,000 but has a full service history (4 services) you need to get the service  done at the specified time or your warranty is void.

• Like 3

Thanks all for the replies. Still don't know what to get though. I want the extra warranty but I can't find any information on the dealer website if the intermediate service qualifies. I can't find any info on what the difference is between full and intermediate either.

Every new Toyota comes with a 3 year manufacturer warranty followed by a 12 months / 10,000 miles additional warranty, with every service*. Up to 10 years of 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, letting you relax i the knowledge that you and your vehicle are in safe hands. *Terms & conditions apply.

There isn't a link for the terms and conditions.

I text chatted with the dealer earlier and they can't answer me either but said they'd get someone to contact me, presumably next week.

I do recall when I bought the car, the salesman said that I could get it serviced by an independent and then come back to toyota to get the additional 12month warranty.

I'll reply back with the answers to my questions when I get them. Thanks all.

15 minutes ago, PB194 said:

Thanks all for the replies. Still don't know what to get though. I want the extra warranty but I can't find any information on the dealer website if the intermediate service qualifies. I can't find any info on what the difference is between full and intermediate either.

Whenever I do get a service, either intermediate or full, will that add an extra 12month/10,000m to the 3 year warranty I got when I bought?

You appear to be getting confused.

Your car will be due the inter service this year then full service next year as Mojo said above, your car comes with a 3 years warranty (older Toyotas had 5) every services doesn't add and extra 12 months to the 3 years you already have.

When i get my sixth service (my car has a 5 year warranty) i then qualify for the extra warranty - Toyota Warranty | Toyota Car Warranty | Toyota UK

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

your car comes with a 3 years warranty (older Toyotas had 5) every services doesn't add and extra 12 months to the 3 years you already have

That should have read - 

When you service the car at its due date  it doesn't add an extra 12 months to the 3 years warranty you already have, when you reach year 4 you will get the "extra" 12 month warranty I mentioned above. 

Toyota service intervals are 1 year or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

If you do less than 10,000 miles in a year, your servicing will be based on the time basis - ie. first year, second year, third year, etc.

If you do more than 10,000 miles per year, your servicing will be on the mileage basis - ie. 10,000 miles, 20,000 miles, 30,000 miles, etc

So as the car is 1 year old and you have only done 2,500 miles, your car's servicing will be on the time based interval, and is due now.

Intermediate services are due at the first year, third year, fifth year, etc. Full services are due at the second year, fourth year, sixth year, etc.

As your car is a 2022 model according to your profile, it will still be within the 3 year/60,000 miles new car warranty - so assuming you still cover less than 10,000 miles per annum, the service generated 1 year extended warranty (Relax) won't apply until the service due when the car is three years old.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

You appear to be getting confused.

I am confused which is why I posted for help. If I'm just going to be made to feel belittled then I'm now wondering if I should remove my account. The website didn't help, the dealer didn't help and I thought who better to ask than owners for unbiased answers.

Toyota specifically say the words, "additional warranty with every service". To me that means added on to what I already have. I want to know what I'm getting for my money and I hoped you guys who are experienced owners would give me answers. Mojo didn't really answer my questions. They just listed, what I thought was 3 types of service. 2 different types of inter and a full. While I totally appreciate and am thankful for the reply, it confused me even more because it didn't directly answer any of my questions. I now realise they meant the first service should be an inter, then full then inter.

When you service the car at its due date  it doesn't add an extra 12 months to the 3 years warranty you already have, when you reach year 4 you will get the "extra" 12 month warranty I mentioned above. 

And this still doesn't clarify. Are you saying I could get 3 services that add nothing and by year 4 I have to get serviced again to get an extra 1 year? I'd expect that if I have 3 services before the 3 year warranty is up, I would have accumulated a further 3 years additional warranty.

Dealer: "Every new Toyota comes with a 3 year manufacturer warranty followed by a 12 months / 10,000 miles additional warranty, with every qualifying service.*"

It doesn't say, "Every new Toyota comes with a 3 year manufacturer warranty followed by a 12 months / 10,000 miles additional warranty, with every SUBSEQUENT qualifying service.*"

And I'm still none the wiser as to what type of service qualifies because there are no *terms and conditions on the website. It could be that only full services qualify. I don't know which was the point of asking!

I feel I've made a mistake coming here to ask. Sorry for the inconvenience.

On 10/1/2023 at 4:54 AM, PB194 said:

I feel I've made a mistake coming here to ask. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sorry you feel that way.

Everyone on here posted to help you.  Both you and Max agree you WERE confused which is why you came here.

Frosty has given you the answer you need.

I would just add that although the main warranty you get when you buy the car isn't officially linked to servicing you might find it more difficult to claim on warranty as Toyota could blame the issue on the car not being serviced properly.

So you get 3 years Toyota warranty when you buy the car.

One the car reaches 3 years old the main warranty stops and you have choices.

You can service at Toyota and get another year of warranty and keep doing this every year until the car is 10 years old.

You can service elsewhere and buy your own warranty with a warranty company.

Or you can do nothing but you will have no cover if it breaks.

I hope you stick around, I've found this forum very useful for sharing info on experiences, faults and stuff.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I can offer just one suggestion.   The service interval is every 10,000m/12months with the leeway of +1,000m/1 month.

Check with your dealer, book it in before end of month 12, but don't go over.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PB194 said:

Every new Toyota comes with a 3 year manufacturer warranty followed by a 12 months / 10,000 miles additional warranty, with every SUBSEQUENT qualifying service.*"

I think you'll find that all warranties have a condition that the car has to be regularly serviced. The law was made by the EU some years back that manufacturers could not make their new car warranties dependent on dealer servicing, so people could use other garages or DIY. (As said above that can make claiming harder, but it's an option.)

Extended or additional warranties aren't covered by this law, so to get the 'free' Toyota cover after the initial 3 years it has to be serviced by a dealer. This is what "qualifying" means.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

The law was made by the EU some years back that manufacturers could not make their new car warranties dependent on dealer servicing, so people could use other garages or DIY.

Block Exemption, which is the legislation referred to, within the new car warranty period allows VAT registered garages (ie garages outside the manufacturer's dealer network) to service the car and maintain the new car warranty provided the servicing schedule is followed and equivalent standard parts are used.

DIY servicing isn't covered by this legislation, and doesn't maintain the new car warranty.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, PB194 said:

Every new Toyota comes with a 3 year manufacturer warranty followed by a 12 months / 10,000 miles additional warranty, with every service*. Up to 10 years of 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, letting you relax in the knowledge that you and your vehicle are in safe hands. *Terms & conditions apply.

As you bought your car in 2022, it will be covered by the new car warranty, which is for 3 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

After the expiry of the 3 year/60,000 mile new car warranty, if you continue to have the car serviced by a Toyota dealer, the service generated extended warranty (called Relax) will provide an additional 1 year or 10,000 mile extended warranty.

Extended warranties don't provide the same level of cover as the new car warranty, but is additional protection for you.

The terms and conditions of the Relax extended warranty are attached to this post.

Basically to ensure your current new car warranty remains in force, your choice is to have the car serviced by either a Toyota dealer or a VAT registered garage.

In the event of a future warranty claim, if you choose to use a non-Toyota dealer, you will need to keep proof (eg. itemised receipts, etc) of when the car was serviced and parts used.

The drawback with using a non Toyota dealer during the new car warranty period, could be that any updates or service bulletins for your car aren't carried out, as the independent won't have access to this information.

At the end of the day the choice of who you use to service your car is yours, but the car is now due to have it's first service - which will be an Intermediate service.

Toyota Relax TCs - 25.05.21_tcm-3060-2286757.pdf

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

DIY servicing isn't covered by this legislation

Sorry. My bad. I thought it just needed to be per the book and correct parts used. 😚

11 hours ago, PB194 said:

. If I'm just going to be made to feel belittled then I'm now wondering if I should remove my account. The website didn't help, the dealer didn't help and I thought who better to ask than owners for unbiased answers.

I wasn't trying to belittle you  i was trying to help, more than one member has explained in detail how the service interval works but you appear to be struggling to understand  members detailed explanations and keep coming back with the same questions, you have misunderstood what "additional warranty with every service"  means even though it has been explained several times the  "additional warranty" only kicks in when your standard 3 or 5 year warranty has run out there is no "additional warranty" with a standard service when your car is still covered by the manufacturers standard 3 or 5 year warranty.  

So to put it as simply as i can if your car came with a 3 year warranty and is now coming up to its 4th birthday you will get the "additional warranty"  with the 4th service as long as you get it done before its due date this will carry on until the car is either 10 years old or has done 100,000 miles.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

I wasn't trying to belittle you  i was trying to help, more than one member has explained in detail how the service interval works but you appear to be struggling to understand  members detailed explanations and keep coming back with the same questions, you have misunderstood what "additional warranty with every service"  means even though it has been explained several times the  "additional warranty" only kicks in when your standard 3 or 5 year warranty has run out there is no "additional warranty" with a standard service when your car is still covered by the manufacturers standard 3 or 5 year warranty.  

So to put it as simply as i can if your car came with a 3 year warranty and is now coming up to its 4th birthday you will get the "additional warranty"  with the 4th service as long as you get it done before its due date this will carry on until the car is either 10 years old or has done 100,000 miles.

At first I thought this was a wind up that someone could have so much difficulty understanding or even needing to understand the need for services or just what the service consists of.  My patience ends when the snowflake card is played and the threat of unsubscribing pops up.  If the op not understanding hurts their feelings, that’s their problem and I’m not walking on eggshells for fear of upsetting them.  The bottom line is - your car is due for service whether you like it or not, whether you think it isn’t or not, whether you think you might be being ripped off or not.  If you don’t service it and you ruin it or end up voiding your warranty, don’t come wittering to us.  Welcome to owning your own car, you have to do these things OR….. you don’t but you suffer the consequences.   If you want to know exactly what you get for your money, read the service book.  It’s in the schedule above too.  I’ll summarise;  interim service is oil change and kick tyres, full service is oil change and other stuff depending on mileage. Now I’m upset about somebody threatening to unsubscribe and might unsubscribe myself, how about that.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

It's a bit like the FB forum where there have been scores of posts in the last few weeks all about the canbus protection plates, loads of detail.

Then yesterday a post "what are canbus protection plates".

Really?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When I read the new message this morning, I thought, really? We were all trying to help, some explained in more details than others. At no stage did anyone belittle another person. I just didn't know what to say, so didn't reply earlier. OP you got the wrong end of the stick tbh. 

• Like 7

I’m enjoying this nearly as much as supermarket petrol debate 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Getting called a snowflake hurts some people. I don't mind seeing some snowflakes each december ❄️ Think anchorman must now do the honourable thing by unsubscribing. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Getting called a snowflake hurts some people. I don't mind seeing some snowflakes each december ❄️ Think anchorman must now do the honourable thing by unsubscribing. 

You remind me of the folk that blame the police for shooting someone who’s pointing a gun at them.  Unsubscribing threat is like threatening to throw Brer Rabbit in the briar patch 😉

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links