Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is there an easy fix for a dislodged parking sensor

Paddy148

I bought a Yaris T20 a few months ago and from the start the parking sensors were off - it turns out that one had come away from the bumper. After two trips to Toyota I thought it had been fixed but its popped out again. It appears that it just needs clipping back in but a few people have looked and everyone agrees it feels like it will take some force which risks breaking it and invalidating the warranty. I don't live close to a service centre and its taking too much of my time having to book it in every few months and wait for them to get round to looking at it, even though you'd think it would only take them seconds to sort if it was as simple as it looks. 

Has anyone else had a similar issue, do I insist they replace the unit this time round? Or does anyone have suggestions on how I can fix it myself?

Was a private sale, bought from a Toyota dealer, or bought from a non-Toyota dealer?

How long ago did you buy it - less than 6 months ago or more than 6 months ago?

Hi Paddy,

Take a look at this link if your parking sensor looks like this it should just push back. It may seem tight but they are designed to be. You shouldn't break it, but if you are not comfortable with doing it take it back and ask them to fix it again and tell them to ensure it will not come out again or replace it under the warranty if you purchased the car from a toyota dealer.

https://youtu.be/fITXV0mvctg?feature=shared

• Like 1

Thanks both, it was bought in January from a private dealer but is still under the original 5 year warranty. 

The one's installed are different to the ones in the video. They have four clips (two at the top and two underneath) that have to be squeezed together and then slotted into the hole. The ones at the top feel like they would fit, but the ones at the bottom seem too big and where it feels that forcing it will break it. There's also groves in the middle to fit into the grill pattern, so there's no room for manoeuvre, it will only clip in one way. 

43 minutes ago, Paddy148 said:

Thanks both, it was bought in January from a private dealer but is still under the original 5 year warranty. 

The one's installed are different to the ones in the video. They have four clips (two at the top and two underneath) that have to be squeezed together and then slotted into the hole. The ones at the top feel like they would fit, but the ones at the bottom seem too big and where it feels that forcing it will break it. There's also groves in the middle to fit into the grill pattern, so there's no room for manoeuvre, it will only clip in one way. 

Hi Paddy, can you post a picture of the sensor and the hole so we can get a better idea. If not are any of your neighbours good with cars or DIY that can take a look at it for you.

It does beg a question how did the sensor come out in the first place, it sounds Ike it should have been tight enough not to.🙂

• Like 1

Update... I managed to get it into a Toyota garage earlier when I was round the corner and despite two others accepting liability for the fix, this one refused saying it wasn't fitted as new and therefore they weren't going to do anything without me paying £90 for the privilege of them just looking at it (does anyone know how I might be able to verify what was on the car as new?). 

So I tried again at home, it seems the problem is some polystyrene behind the fitting which is pushing the sensor out - if I gently pull the plastic bumper away then it fits flush but when you let go its pushed out again. Unfortunately I also can't get the device out to go through the hole and make a bigger gap in the polystyrene, so it looks like I need to take the grille off if its going to be sorted. 

DSC_0007.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks I have a similar problem. I have a 2016 auris that a rear sensor has fallen inside the rear bumper.I have had the car serviced by Toyota.Does anyone know if it would be covered by the relax warranty? Or is there a way to pop it back without taking the bumper off 

Hi Jon,

It is covered under the electrical section under sensors so this is one . Do you know what caused it to fall inside the bumper? If it's not the type that has clips on it maybe the plastic retainer plates at the back have dislodged. if you can't see it by looking under the bumper then you could release the retaining bolts and fixings just enough to get you hand under. However depending on the type it may need glueing back.👍

Bper, thanks for the reply,it slipped down inside the bumper,while on a motorway journey in the rain.The sensor can be seen through the hole,so I think if they are clipped in it must have just come out. Do you have any idea if it covered by the extended warranty?

• Like 1

Damage or defects as a result of wear and tear are not covered. The problem has to be determined by a Toyota dealer if it is a fault with the original installation which is highly unlikely due to the age of your vehicle or wear and tear which isn't covered.

In my opinion if you can do this yourself you would be better off as most dealers will charge £90 just to look at it and then if it's turned down as wear and tear you will be paying far more then the sensor is worth for  repair and any necessary replacement and labour.

As I said in my post above see if you can get to it or see what type of sensor it is. You think it is clipped type then providing the clips are not broken and you cannot access under the bumper to put it back then undo the bumper retaining bolts and clips just enough to get your hand underneath. 

You may need to manoeuvre it around to refix it back in position.👍 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links