Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.4 D4D Fuel Filter + housing replaced, now P1229 fault code

HollyAitke

Hi All

2007 Yaris 1.4 D4D

My local garage replaced my diesel fuel filter + filter housing(manual primer pump) , a few days later the car cut out and engine light came on.

I opened the bonnet and pumped the primer button on the fuel filter housing, it was soft for a few presses eventually going hard. (5 to 10 presses)

Car started and OK for another week. (only tens of miles - urban driving)

Engine light was off at next start up a few hours later.

I read Fault codes P1229 and P1272.

(I keep pressing the primer button on the fuel filter housing, is usually hard or one press is soft.)

A week later another P1229 and engine light came on (no cut out this time).

I have read around about the the fault codes and most advice seem to end being change the fuel filter (but that is what has triggered the problem in my case)

The other advice seem to be change the pressure regulator valve.

However I am pretty sure this problem is connected to the fuel filter + housing change the Garage did.

Does anyone have any suggestions for experience of this?

Also starting is a bit slower than before, and idle sometimes "oscillates" (kind of sound change, faster/slower - but only subtle)

This car has been very reliable for  for all the time I have had it, since 2011, now @120K miles.

Many Thanks for your help

HollyAmelia

Have you spoken to the garage?

They should investigate and fix it since it's clearly something they've done.

The most common cause for those codes, normally, is the fuel filter is blocked, so I suspect maybe some debris has been introduced or they haven't fitted it correctly, and the fuel isn't flowing through it freely, causing a restriction that the fuel pump is struggling against, and triggering the code.

It may also be they've not put a hose back on properly or clamped it in the wrong place which is, again, causing a restriction.

• Like 1

Hi There

Many thanks for the response.

I will be sending it back to garage now for their inspection.

I like to analyse what is going on to help with the conversations I have with the garage.

( in case they try start swapping bits at my expense, although I have been using them for years and feel they have integrity, others I have used in the past seem not to... )

I also will have a ago at some things myself, wishing I had done now!...

Hoses all look OK, they look like they are the in correct place, but I don't have a good reference to compare it against, none of them are obviously stretched incorrectly.

I notice just now there is diesel seeping out of the water drain housing at the bottom of the fuel filter, so suspect that may be the cause., clearly that is not meant to happen.

If there is no joy at the Garage I will need to take it apart myself with  a view to replacing it all again, if reassembly doesn't cure.

If anyone knows of any pictures of the fuel filter housing pipe work on the MK2 Yaris 1.4 D4D I would be grateful for a link.

Thanks Again

Richard

• Like 1

Follow up on this,

Yaris cut out again...

I noticed Diesel seeping out of the bottom of the fuel filter (Water level sensor housing / drain *****), couple of diesel stains on my drive.

Returned to garage and explained about cutout, fault codes and seeping Diesel, they immediately suspected the seal  on bottom of the fuel filter.

They sorted it out straight away, no charge , said sorry and said it was the seal...

Yaris is now fine... starts quick and idle is smooth...

Guess the fuel pump was sucking on air as well as Diesel. 

Happy days...

Thanks

HollyAitke

• Thanks 1

Thanks for coming back and telling us how you got on! :thumbsup:

Glad it was something simple and the garage did the right thing and fixed it FoC.

Keep them to hand! It seems like we mostly get reports of poor customer service at garages on here, so it's refreshing to hear of a good one!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links