Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ordered Yaris

skidlid

First Toyota and its for the wife. Looked several times before but most dealers seemed to be idiots or liars, sometimes both.

First was back in 1996, Carina E. Dealer told us to go and test drive at another garage since he could not be bothered to get the car out. Went to another garage as suggested and bought a Golf.

2nd time was back in 2010, Avensis estate. Wanted a diesel but they sent us out in a petrol, gutless thing with a stupid location for the electric handbrake, bought a Ceed diesel estate.

3rd time was 2020. Tried both a Corolla Estate and a RAV4. Corolla gave us both ankle ache and the RAV4 was unbelievably thirsty, bought a pre-reg Superb PHEV (cost less than the others).

So this was the 4th attempt. Started badly when we looked at the local dealer at a Corolla (again), told us that a spare is illegal to have in the car and when we asked about the Icon trim he told us they did not sell them since people only wanted the top spec ones, walked out. After looking and driving many other cars we went to see the Yaris at a different dealer. He was very helpful and we got the CarWow price. It even has an "illegal" spare as standard. Should be with us in March.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Hello Paul - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

As regards the spare, if the Corolla you looked at had a panoramic roof, the spare wheel if standard would have pushed the car into the next emissions bracket due to the extra weight.

Nothing to stop a spare being fitted after puchase

Hi Paul welcome to the TOC. With a dealer like that I would have gone to him twice but after that I wouldn't have darkened his door again, and I would have written to or emailed Toyota UK about the standard of service you received.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Hello Paul - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

As regards the spare, if the Corolla you looked at had a panoramic roof, the spare wheel if standard would have pushed the car into the next emissions bracket due to the extra weight.

Nothing to stop a spare being fitted after puchase

No panoramic roof, it was a simple matter that the salesman was adamant that it was illegal to buy a car with a spare fitted.

7 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Hi Paul welcome to the TOC. With a dealer like that I would have gone to him twice but after that I wouldn't have darkened his door again, and I would have written to or emailed Toyota UK about the standard of service you received.

The first dealer we tried is no longer in business so no temptation to go there.

We have visited the 2nd dealer 3 times (for the Avensis, Corolla Estate and the Corolla last month). He is also a Suzuki dealer and we tried him when we were looking for a Celerio for the wifes uncle. The salesman told us a clear lie and would only knock £300 off a pre-reg, bought one elsewhere for £1000 less a few days later. Will never go there again.

The RAV4 dealer was OK but a bit far away, it was the economy that was the issue.

As I said, the dealer we have ordered the Yaris from seems fine (so far).

No point telling Toyota, what will they do especially considering I have not had any sort of financial loss (other than petrol getting there).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, skidlid said:

No point telling Toyota, what will they do especially considering I have not had any sort of financial loss (other than petrol getting there).

Still, enough negative feedback from customers about the conduct of their franchise dealers and Toyota may actually do something about it. 

In any case, congratulations on the choice of car. I've heard so much praise from owners and others on this forum about it. I hope your wife will enjoy it.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2023 at 5:04 PM, skidlid said:

Corolla gave us both ankle ache

Left foot or right?

I had forgotten just how narrow the Corolla footrest was.  I was pleased at how large the Yaris Cross is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Left foot or right?

I had forgotten just how narrow the Corolla footrest was.  I was pleased at how large the Yaris Cross is.

Right. Never use CC on a test drive.

The Fabia the wife has owned for the past 5 1/2 years (it will be 6 years old when the Yaris "hopefully" arrives in March) will be a hard act to follow. Fingers crossed its yet to have a single issue. Its averaged about 48 mpg overall and yesterday on a return trip to Yorkshire it averaged just over 60 mpg (the dash is remarkably accurate).

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 5:04 PM, skidlid said:

First Toyota and its for the wife. Looked several times before but most dealers seemed to be idiots or liars, sometimes both.

First was back in 1996, Carina E. Dealer told us to go and test drive at another garage since he could not be bothered to get the car out. Went to another garage as suggested and bought a Golf.

2nd time was back in 2010, Avensis estate. Wanted a diesel but they sent us out in a petrol, gutless thing with a stupid location for the electric handbrake, bought a Ceed diesel estate.

3rd time was 2020. Tried both a Corolla Estate and a RAV4. Corolla gave us both ankle ache and the RAV4 was unbelievably thirsty, bought a pre-reg Superb PHEV (cost less than the others).

So this was the 4th attempt. Started badly when we looked at the local dealer at a Corolla (again), told us that a spare is illegal to have in the car and when we asked about the Icon trim he told us they did not sell them since people only wanted the top spec ones, walked out. After looking and driving many other cars we went to see the Yaris at a different dealer. He was very helpful and we got the CarWow price. It even has an "illegal" spare as standard. Should be with us in March.

Hi Paul,

You will love the car is very very good, for me the dealers aftersales experience is disappointing, especially Bishop Stratford dealership  

Welcome Paul. My Good Lady has the Yaris. We waited almost a year from placing the order to getting it and absolutely love it. Ours has the Panoramic roof, so no spare wheel, but space to fit a kit if we ever wanted to fit an "illegal" spare 😀

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links