Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis electronic parking brake

Bladerr6

Hi everyone, 

I purchased a 2015 Avensis Business Edition Plus yesterday. 

When I test drove the car I was sure  when you hit the accelerator peddle to pull away the electronic parking brake automatically released? It isn't doing so now. Am I going mad? 

Any input would be appreciated. 

Thanks 👍

Moved to the Avensis forum.

Please amend your profile to include the 2015 Avensis.

If your car has manual transmission, the EPB (electronic parking brake) should automatically disengage when you start to release the clutch and apply some throttle. You need to be both releasing the clutch and applying some throttle for it to disengage.

If you have an automatic transmission I do not think the EPB automatically disengages (from what I can see in the manual).

• Like 1

In a Toyota automatic the EPB disengages as soon as the accelerator is pressed. it does on my Yaris Hybrid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Cessna said:

If your car has manual transmission, the EPB (electronic parking brake) should automatically disengage when you start to release the clutch and apply some throttle. You need to be both releasing the clutch and applying some throttle for it to disengage.

If you have an automatic transmission I do not think the EPB automatically disengages (from what I can see in the manual).

Thank you. 

Yes, it's a manual and thought the EPB should release when releasing the clutch and applying the throttle. 

The car had new rear brake pads on Friday before picking it up on Saturday, so I think something has gone wrong there. 

I appreciate your reply 👍

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

In a Toyota automatic the EPB disengages as soon as the accelerator is pressed. it does on my Yaris Hybrid.

Thank you. 

Definitely a problem with the EPB then. 

I appreciate your reply. 

I'll phone the garage I bought it from tomorrow. 

Have you tried resetting it to automatic mode !.

To reset just hold up the brake button for a few extra seconds.

Note it will disangate from automatic function with accelerator if held down in its disengaged position for to long before you release the switch.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Note it will disangate from automatic function with accelerator if held down in its disengaged position for to long before you release the switch.

Hi Derek. 

When I turn the car off it engages the EPB automatically fine, but when I start the car, I have to release the EPB manually as it doesn't disengage the EPB automatically. 

Sorry, are you saying that holding the manual EPB button up for a few seconds resets the system? 

4 minutes ago, Bladerr6 said:

Hi Derek. 

When I turn the car off it engages the EPB automatically fine, but when I start the car, I have to release the EPB manually as it doesn't disengage the EPB automatically. 

Sorry, are you saying that holding the manual EPB button up for a few seconds resets the system? 

Edit.... Doesn't disengage automatically when applying the accelerator. 

I can disengage my EPB by holding the switch down for about 5 seconds more after it releses then if I want to go back into automatic mode just hold brake switch in up position for around 5 or 10 seconds after the brake moves to its parked/brake on position.

If sytem is unlinked you EPB wont disengage automaticly as its more like a manual handbrake but using a rocker switch.

4 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

I can disengage my EPB by holding the switch down for about 5 seconds more after it releses then if I want to go back into automatic mode just hold brake switch in up position for around 5 or 10 seconds after the brake moves to its parked/brake on position.

If sytem is unlinked you EPB wont disengage automaticly as its more like a manual handbrake but using a rocker switch.

Result Derek👍

Thank you so much 🙏

I'll try that in the morning. 

• Like 2

Definitely should be releasing 'automatically', just as the biting point / pull off of the car begins to fight it, I hear mine releasing.  In fact, doing it the manual way (releasing it via switch, THEN, pulling off) seems to trigger a 'parking brake inoperable' warning for a few seconds.. 

Hope the solution above works for you. The garage probably reset the EPB and this just needed re-enabling via a basic scan tool with EPB functionality 

• Like 1

I have a 2015 Icon and although no "fatal" faults, I have found that occasionally the EPB will disengage simply by applying a few revs whilst in neutral.  When it is working as expected, then the EPB disengages when the car is in gear and revs applied

After longer journeys I sometimes get a fault coming up which disables the automatic operation of the EPB - when switching the ignition off and the auto release when pulling away after manually applying the brake.  Most often this clears on the next start up.  I have my car serviced at Toyota and have highlighted this a couple of times, but they cannot replicate it.

Besides automatically releasing, there is some operation (yet to find a definitive answer) when the car is running and the car is put into gear.  A distinct noise from the area of the actuator, but the brake is still applied.

17 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

That does not seem to be the case with the T27 Avensis. The manual only describes automatic EPB release for vehicles with a manual transmission, which suggests it is not available on automatics.

16 hours ago, Derek.w said:

That is for automatic application of the EPB. The OP is talking about automatic release of the EPB. They are two separate things. You can hold the EPB button for 5 seconds to enable and disable the automatic application of the EPB, but it does not affect the automatic release of the EPB.

You cannot disable the automatic release of the EPB. The OP mentions that the rear brake pads were replaced on Friday and is going to talk to the garage, which sounds like a good plan to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SB1500 said:

In fact, doing it the manual way (releasing it via switch, THEN, pulling off) seems to trigger a 'parking brake inoperable' warning for a few seconds.

That should not happen. Might be worth investigating in case a more severe EPB issue develops.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cessna said:

That should not happen. Might be worth investigating in case a more severe EPB issue develops.

I must say to Toyota when I'm next down.  Car went out of warranty in September but it was replaced under warranty in January 2022. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bladerr6 said:

Hi Derek. 

Reset or re-engages automatic EPB handbrake function. This is accomplished by holding the handbrake button in the up position for a few extra seconds after it is applied.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Reset or re-engages automatic EPB handbrake function. This is accomplished by holding the handbrake button in the up position for a few extra seconds after it is applied.

As I said above you are talking about enabling/disabling the automatic application of the EPB, but Matt is talking about the automatic release of the EPB. They are two very different things. The process you describe is for enabling/disabling the automatic application of the EPB. It has no effect on the automatic release of the EPB. Matt, please ignore Derek's advice because it is only relevant to the automatic application of the handbrake, which you have stated works fine on your car. I hope you managed to talk to the garage today and they have agreed to check it.

14 hours ago, Cessna said:

automatic application of the EPB

Can the automatic application of the EPB apply in traffic?  This would make life so much easier, but I am of the belief it's not possible?  Just automatic release?

1 hour ago, SB1500 said:

Can the automatic application of the EPB apply in traffic?  This would make life so much easier, but I am of the belief it's not possible?  Just automatic release?

Interesting idea, but I don't think it is possible. There is nothing in the manual to suggest that it is. The trigger is the ignition key being switched from "On" to "Acc" or "Off" (or the keyless equivalent), which you tend not to do in traffic! In your scenario it would need to detect speed zero, footbrake applied and neutral selected. It would also need a delay, otherwise the briefest of stops at a roundabout (for example) while changing gear through neutral may result in the EPB being applied!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cessna said:

As I said above you are talking about enabling/disabling the automatic application of the EPB, but Matt is talking about the automatic release of the EPB. They are two very different things. The process you describe is for enabling/disabling the automatic application of the EPB. It has no effect on the automatic release of the EPB. Matt, please ignore Derek's advice because it is only relevant to the automatic application of the handbrake, which you have stated works fine on your car. I hope you managed to talk to the garage today and they have agreed to check it.

Thanks Cessna. 

Not spoken to the garage yet. I'll give them a call tomorrow. It all worked fine when I test drove the car. 

It was due an mot in November, so I asked for a new mot and any advisories to be done as I knew the front tyres were getting close, the front brake discs were lipped and the rear brake pads looked low. 

All that was picked up as advisories and done. 

The seller did the front brake disc and pads themselves and someone else did the rear pads due to the EPB. 

After I picked the car up I noticed the EPB wouldn't auto release when applying the accelerator. 

The EPB works fine both ways when doing it with the switch and come on automatically when I turn the car off. 

Also, thanks Derek, but if you go one way for with the EPB for an extra few seconds it switches it off completely and the other way it turns it back on, but it still won't disengage when applying the accelerator 👍

5 hours ago, Cessna said:

Interesting idea, but I don't think it is possible. There is nothing in the manual to suggest that it is. The trigger is the ignition key being switched from "On" to "Acc" or "Off" (or the keyless equivalent), which you tend not to do in traffic! In your scenario it would need to detect speed zero, footbrake applied and neutral selected. It would also need a delay, otherwise the briefest of stops at a roundabout (for example) while changing gear through neutral may result in the EPB being applied!

The automatic Mercedes I had did that, although of course, keyless and auto being two big differences. And probably more sensors to support it. 

coming to a complete stop at traffic after a few seconds of foot held on brake applied it, but I think it automatically was able to change from Drive to “Park” on its own as well, whereas I would have to put my car into neutral.  Although I wish the feature existed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Bladerr6 said:

Thanks Cessna. 

Not spoken to the garage yet. I'll give them a call tomorrow. It all worked fine when I test drove the car. 

It was due an mot in November, so I asked for a new mot and any advisories to be done as I knew the front tyres were getting close, the front brake discs were lipped and the rear brake pads looked low. 

All that was picked up as advisories and done. 

The seller did the front brake disc and pads themselves and someone else did the rear pads due to the EPB. 

After I picked the car up I noticed the EPB wouldn't auto release when applying the accelerator. 

The EPB works fine both ways when doing it with the switch and come on automatically when I turn the car off. 

Also, thanks Derek, but if you go one way for with the EPB for an extra few seconds it switches it off completely and the other way it turns it back on, but it still won't disengage when applying the accelerator 👍

Hope this helps in regards to a clear description of how the system works, as well as instructions on turning on the ‘auto’ mode 😊

IMG_8845.jpeg

• Like 2

It shoud disengage when appliing the accelerator see 1/d in Shane list so I suspect its maybe down down to brakes, cables or EPB sticking as in slow to release.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links