Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Desperately seeking cable!

Carrie in France

Hi everyone! I am having a nightmare looking for a part for my 2000 Avensis Liftback, automatic, T22, 2 litre 128 HP 94 KW. It's the cable assy transmission control. The part number is 33820-05120. I have ordered it from Yoshi Parts and from Cars245.com both of whom refunded the money. The car is in perfect working order apart from this cable. Does anyone know of a stock of very old parts? Or a vehicle being scrapped? Or is there any person or company which could fabricate it on demand? I am really desperate. Thank you for your help. 

Carrie in France 

Hi Carrie,.

You Have obviously had difficulty obtaining this part and it is possible it has been discontinued.  however have you phoned around scrap yards to see if anyone stocks this part. Have you contacted Toyota or parts suppliers to ask if the part number has been superseded.

Hopefully another member may know where you can obtain either this part number or recommend an alternative.👍

Thanks so much for replying. The part is definitely disscontinued. I talked to one big scrap yard supplier, they were great and found the original UK registration numbers, but it seems they are all on the same system, possibly called Pinnacle? Sadly nothing on that. How can I talk to other scrap yards, do you know? 

You might try this cable manufacturer - Venhill.

https://www.venhill.co.uk/

They have a long history of making cables for the motorcycle world.

The problem, I anticipate, is that they'll need a scale drawing or, better still, the old cable to work from, which might be problematic for you?

If you could get the old cable out and over to them, then I suspect any unique/unusual Toyota brackets and clips could be carried across to the new part if the're reusable. 

Or, they could make a judgement on how or why it's failed, possibly just fitting a new centre 'core' to that cable, if that's what has broken.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carrie in France said:

Thanks so much for replying. The part is definitely discontinued. I talked to one big scrap yard supplier, they were great and found the original UK registration numbers, but it seems they are all on the same system, possibly called Pinnacle? Sadly nothing on that. How can I talk to other scrap yards, do you know? 

Hi Carrie, 

You haven't said if you have contacted Toyota to ask if the part has been superseded and if not they can offer any advice. 

With regards to contacting scrap yards it's going to take time and patience, many of the UK ones do have web sites and you can contact them via email or enter the part number online. 

The link below indicates one is available but I am not sure regarding the price they are quoting. You may want to contact them to discuss this part.Hope this helps

https://www.online-teile.com/toyota-ersatzteile/3382005120_Schaltseil/Atm.html?language=en

• Like 1

If you can't find a replacement part, and it was the inner cable that had broken, and the  outer cable wasn't damaged at all, then this google search throws up some options that might be of use to your mechanic/self/sigificant other:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop&q=bowden cable repair kit&sxsrf=AM9HkKnplDkkFq4R45d-vBpQPrsnztVXvg:1697309215740

Some experimentation will be necessary on the part of the installer to get the right length. Also, the Japanese spec. cables might have a nylon or PTFE inner liner that, if missing on the new cable, might spoil the 'oiled' feeling of the control. But its the end fittings that are going to be the hard part to make for the would-be improviser.

Amayama shows this diagram, fwiw:

toyota-3382005120-1665977170248-big.jpg

I need a replacement part, my mechanic has tried everything to fix it. 

Thanks everyone for your advice. Toyota in France have no solution and I think they were using an international database but to be sure I will call Toyota UK tomorrow. I agree the price of online-teile part is ridiculous but my last attempt was also at that price and I am willing to pay to get my lovely car back on the road. I'm going to try it but my gut feeling is that this will also end with a refund. I can get hold of the old cable so the cable repair suggestion by Gerg would be the next step. This is new territory for me so I do really appreciate your help. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/14/2023 at 8:07 PM, Bper said:

Hi Carrie, 

You haven't said if you have contacted Toyota to ask if the part has been superseded and if not they can offer any advice. 

With regards to contacting scrap yards it's going to take time and patience, many of the UK ones do have web sites and you can contact them via email or enter the part number online. 

The link below indicates one is available but I am not sure regarding the price they are quoting. You may want to contact them to discuss this part.Hope this helps

https://www.online-teile.com/toyota-ersatzteile/3382005120_Schaltseil/Atm.html?language=en

Just wanted to let you know that the wonderful Rob Jowett from Steven Eagell Toyota Hereford found the part and had it shipped out to me. The car is repaired and I will be eternally grateful to him for his patience and professionalism. 

• Like 5

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links