Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Standard Headunit

theWizard

Does anyone know how to prevent the headunit from switching off when you take the key out of the ignition?

I know this is to prevent the Battery from being flattened, but in my last car you could choose which setting you wanted!

I have checked through the manual with a fine comb, but it does'nt state if you can. Its the Type 2: L.M.U. ETR radio/cassette player in a 98 Celica.

Cheers for any help!! ;)

This is quite easy if you dont mind doing a couple of wiring modifications.

You will need a multimeter, cutters, strippers, crimp bullet connectors and about half an hour to do this.

Firstly get the stereo unit out so that you can work on the wiring loom at the back and also see the controls on the front.

Use the multimeter - connect the black probe to a good negative ground point and with the keys out of the ignition find the core that measures approx 12v. Once you have found this note down the colour of the cable. If there isn't one that is live all the time, you might have to run a cable from a connection in the fusebox that is live without the ignition switched on - this is rare but if there is no real high current demand it might be the case. If you have to run this cable, treat it as the 12v constant live for the rest of this discription.

Next turn the keys to the ignition position that causes the accessory power to turn on (including the radio). Now find the core that measures 12v and note it down - if there is more than one core that measures 12v (in addition to the first one noted down) it may be that the head unit gives out 12v to other system componants once it is switched on - in which case turn the stereo off but leave the ignition on, then there should only be the one extra live core.

Next make a small link wire, and without the ignition key in link the first core found (reads 12v all the time) to the core found that read 12v with the key on - this should case the stereo to power up.

Once this is done you should have found two cores, one that is live with the keys in, and one thats live without the keys in. Cut both wires, put a female bullet connector on the car end of the loom of each of these cores, then put both of the cores at the stereo end of the loom into one male bullet connector - join this male with the female core that was live without the keys in - your stereo should stay on all the time.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

It's fairly standard stuff, I would say you could probably do it with just about any car.

Steve.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links