Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2006 2.0 4WD Auto... Whats an OK MPG???

l0ul0uk0s

Hi all,

I have a 62k miles (100k km) 2006 rav4 with the 2L engine and Auto (XT3). The best I can get in terms of consumption is 12.2L/100kl, 19.3 US MPG, 23.2 UK MPG (if my conversions are ok). That's with some motorway miles...

So I get at most 220mi/360km from full to yellow light (and Im trying my best to drive for efficiency). Most miles are around N22 London and I'm not using the car for work commute etc.

Is this ok?? It's a 20-year-old auto car after all :) Do I need to do any maintenance? Are sensors, fuel injectors, and fuel mix gone crazy?

Assuming this is petrol, not diesel (AFAIK Toyota didn't offer RAV4 diesel with auto at the time), then it doesn't sound that extreme. You have the least economical combination of petrol engine, four wheel drive, an automatic gearbox with torque converter, and the usual additional drag of an SUV.

That said, check tyre pressures, brakes, air filter, spark plugs, and gearbox ATF (fluid) level.

• Like 1

You might be able to get a bit more than that, but that came from an era where we were paying something like 70p/L and nobody gave a smeg about fuel consumption, so it's never going to be super high...!

• Like 1

Thank you both. I just wanted to be sure. Official figure where 31MPG (imperial) for the auto but I know its always cooked up numbers 🙂

Yeah, especially for urban driving!

That said, it might be worth running a few tanks of V-Power or Redex through it, as they can give a surprising performance and economy boost if the engine's never seen any cleaning additives for a while and the fuel system and injectors are clogged with deposits, and also get the gearbox and differential oils checked next service if those haven't been done for a while - They can also add a lot of drag if they haven't been changed for a while!

Tyre pressures is another easy one that can claw back a few mpg - I tend to inflate mine to the highest pressure listed in the manual for that specific wheel/tyre combination :laugh: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links