Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 cvt any good ??

Edgie70

Hi all , I'm going to see a 2.0 cvt design model, originally I was wanting a 1.8 but this 2.0 I've spotted , just wanted to ask is there a major difference in running costs if driven normally?? Many thanks 

I'm getting mid 50s from mine over about 12k miles. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Obsidian Estate said:

I'm getting mid 50s from mine over about 12k miles. 

Really? Mid 50s mpg ? 

Picked up mine yesterday. Really like it. I've done 100 odd miles so far and I've averaged 53mpg.

I do have a spirited driving style and the car really suits it. Gets up to speed very quickly in almost all scenarios without needing to rev it much at all so you can make good progress while getting 50+mpg. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cRolla said:

Picked up mine yesterday. Really like it. I've done 100 odd miles so far and I've averaged 53mpg.

I do have a spirited driving style and the car really suits it. Gets up to speed very quickly in almost all scenarios without needing to rev it much at all so you can make good progress while getting 50+mpg. 

Here's me thinking a 2.0 is over kill for me but as both of you have said 50s mpg that's impressive 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edgie70 said:

Really? Mid 50s mpg ? 

I'm getting low 60s with my 1.8. Slightly down from the mid 60s of summer. For me 55 mpg would be about the worst I'd expect in winter.

• Like 1

at the moment with town , country and motorway mixed driving i`m getting around 50 mpg , summer about 53-54mpg , i like to push it and enjoy the car.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, do we know if any reliability issues with the 2.0 ? 

3 hours ago, Edgie70 said:

Thanks everyone, do we know if any reliability issues with the 2.0 ? 

Apart from a injector fault on some 2020 models they seem to be good. 

What the figures don't tell you is the 2.0 is a much better car to drive, smoother.. Faster.. And with bigger brakes...... I think with the 2.0 your probably about 5mpg down on the 1.8. 

• Like 2

Coming up to year 2 of owning mine (2nd owner - 2 services and 2 MOTs - that I have carried out).

The drive is good, does its job and is competitive where required.  

Most things are where I want them to be, adding AA/Carplay and then adding a wireless adapter makes me more happier and a better experience.

It's a beautiful car to look at and often gets overlooked, I think this is down to the lower ends looking less exciting.

The boot is a major drawback for a family IMHO

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2badmice said:

Coming up to year 2 of owning mine (2nd owner - 2 services and 2 MOTs - that I have carried out).

The drive is good, does its job and is competitive where required.  

Most things are where I want them to be, adding AA/Carplay and then adding a wireless adapter makes me more happier and a better experience.

It's a beautiful car to look at and often gets overlooked, I think this is down to the lower ends looking less exciting.

The boot is a major drawback for a family IMHO

Just get the ts and your sorted

20230226_140031.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Edgie70 said:

Really? Mid 50s mpg ? 

Yes. 11621 miles, average 52.3 and a best tank of 60.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, taxidriver50005 said:

Apart from a injector fault on some 2020 models they seem to be good. 

What the figures don't tell you is the 2.0 is a much better car to drive, smoother.. Faster.. And with bigger brakes...... I think with the 2.0 your probably about 5mpg down on the 1.8. 

Just about sums up the differences nicely, I am certainly happy to pay a small mpg penalty for the better drive.

• Like 2

In mild weather, keeping up with the traffic on a decent run, mixture of A and B roads I've managed 67-68 MPG a few times from my 2.0 estate. On motorway runs it tends to be around 55-58 MPG with the cruise control set bang-on the speed limit.

In mixed driving though with more short journeys I average low 50s MPG

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, yossarian247 said:

In mild weather, keeping up with the traffic on a decent run, mixture of A and B roads I've managed 67-68 MPG a few times from my 2.0 estate. On motorway runs it tends to be around 55-58 MPG with the cruise control set bang-on the speed limit.

In mixed driving though with more short journeys I average low 50s MPG

Sounds right, during summer I did 1 leisurely drive 160 miles mixed a rds and motorway and averaged 78mpg...but it was leisurely 🙄🙄🤣😂

• Like 4

Have to say that I've never felt underpowered. I keep up with the traffic easily. Don't even have to push the motor into the 'PWR' section of the eco gauge. Drive is perfectly smooth and relaxed.

In my experience (going back years) most drivers don't use all that they've got under their right foot or even a significant proportion of it. In the rare cases where I feel the need to seriously move I mash the accelerator pedal into the floor. Most people appear to be afraid to do that.

You can also make damn good progress just by paying attention to traffic on roundabouts and knowing how to flow through them without stopping.

Engine power is one thing. Good acceleration sense and awareness of what's going on around you can often trump it.

• Like 5

I seem to recall the 2.0 also has the 12 Volt Battery in the boot rather than up front and that this eats up a little of the underfloor storage space?

On the other hand this would create a better weight distribution 👍 

• Like 2

I went for the 1.8 TS for several reasons, to name a few: purchase cost, running cost, insurance cost, boot space.

I find the 1.8 plenty powerful enough and a joy to drive. No regrets at all.

• Like 3

2.0 TS owner of nearly 3 years, and 29,000 miles. My average is about. 56mpg across the year. A newer 2023 model will probably do better. 

I’ve got the estate which doesn’t suffer from the 12v Battery being in the boot (as it’s behind the rear wheel in its own compartment). 

reliability of the 2.0 has been perfect for me. Seen a few cases of injectors failing on 2019-2021 models, but all fixed under warranty. 

The 2.0 is much better driveability over the 1.8, more torque and a more relaxed motorway car. 

• Like 2

Thank you everyone once again for being brilliant with replies , the car unfortunately is just a bit out of my price range but after reading your comments a 2.0 is definitely a possibility as well as a 1.8 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fred88 said:

I went for the 1.8 TS for several reasons, to name a few: purchase cost, running cost, insurance cost, boot space.

I find the 1.8 plenty powerful enough and a joy to drive. No regrets at all.

The 1.8 is really good and I'm still using a 1.8 prius 376,000 miles... But the 2.0 is just a nicer drive but I'd be happy with either. 😊

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Gray86 said:

I’ve got the estate which doesn’t suffer from the 12v battery being in the boot (as it’s behind the rear wheel in its own compartment). 

Nice. 👌 Just another reason to get the estate. Not much bigger footprint but so much more usable space. 

• Like 2

True. The estate is the best of all three versions. 
The 2.0 is the faster one but the 1.8 is the more economical. 
The 2.0 suffer bigger loss in mpg during cold winters against the 1.8. 
The new 2023 version although positioned as 2.0 more efficient than 1.8 in real world the 1.8 remains the less thirsty one. 
I have older gen 3 that seats in between and when time for replacement I can be ok with either 1.8 or 2.0., what’s is available and within my budget. Also considering 1.2 t manual. 

• Like 2

For me the 1.8 was about £411 to insure and the 2.0 £486 for the difference in price and taking in consideration the better drive of the 2.0 that people state the plus 50mpg that ticks lots of boxes , just need them to lower in price a bit whist I save up that extra 1k 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 4

On 10/18/2023 at 9:30 AM, taxidriver50005 said:

Just get the ts and your sorted

20230226_140031.jpg

I went back to the dealer for a used one just 10 months in and it was out of my monthly budget range.  It also had a lot of "love" for want of a better word. LOL

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links